(Sleazy) Easy Riders tits up? Shutting down Subscriptions apparently and retooling.

Collapse

Desktop Ad Forum Top

Collapse

Mobile ad top forum

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dougtheinternetannoyance123
    • Apr 2012

(Sleazy) Easy Riders tits up? Shutting down Subscriptions apparently and retooling.

EasyRider magazine going under? Seems to be so,, following the path of many others such as Cycle world and even the Horse back street Choppers.
    Just got this from a friend in Florida,, although WHY he subscribed is baffling as he hates RUBBIES, posers, and fat tire lifestyle IndianBillyBourgetWCCOCC bikes

" I got a letter from Easyriders magazine-->

"Beginning in October, the monthly publication will become a quarterly
    upscale and stylish magazine that will only be available for purchase in
    select newsstands and boutique venues around the world. With a nod to
    our roots and the bass biker culture, and with newfound emphasis on the
    sun-kissed California lifestyle, travel, and entertainment..."

Fuck 'em.
    --
    -Aron-

---------------------------------------------
    So checked their website and seems to be in transition. Some weird GIF file on the page playing over and over & they want you to register so they can send you info on the new magazine Issue #1. Click on the events tabs and seems things are in turmoil there too.
    " EASYRIDERS BIKE SHOWS
    Revamping in 2020
    Relaunching in 2021"
    &
    EASYRIDERS RODEOS
    2020 Locations
    Coming Soon
    --------------------------------------------
    So, back in the 1980s I used to read them a lot, there was a time period they were pretty cool, Spider, Miraculous Mother, Riding with RIP, and David Mann Paintings, "Leg wettin' Biker fiction" as well as some of the cartoons, totally un-PC material and legal and legislative info was cool. But by the 1990s it was totally cheesy and I lost interest.

I moved on to Iron Horse which was cooler, featured all kinds of bikes, Not just Arlen Ness vomit inducing cheesiness. I DO respect Arlen in creating a product and riding the wave,, but his stuff was never my taste and just seem like a coke addled nightmare. For a while,, especially during the Harley Boom of the 1990s and early 2000s,, they would not feature anything that was cool, and only HD, but in the old days it was Honda chops, Triumphs BSA, Kawasaki and anything with 2 wheels although at times some anti Japanese bike themes,, but still would feature a cool 1970s Honda chop or similar.
    I have several stacks of vintage mags,,, now collectable and I have had offers for them.

Maybe more so now?

Click image for larger version

Name:	sleazyriderdbe.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	85.0 KB
ID:	1345671Click image for larger version

Name:	miraculous-mutha-213x300.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	23.2 KB
ID:	1345672Click image for larger version

Name:	davidmannchoppershow.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	85.9 KB
ID:	1345673

So here is a tangent...There is a loon in Florida named Alvin Snow, was on a Japanese chopper forum years ago and had his 1970s Chopper featured in a few magazines including I think EasyRiders "Readers rides" or the letters sections. He would go on and on about the good old days. Years later was at a bike shop and they had a stack of old magazines they were selling. Said some lunatic in Florida would call up and buy a few at a time. I asked.. "Any chance his name is Al Snow?" It WAS!
    So Alvin used to send weird trinkets and scale models of home built choppers in the mail. Also cut up old chopper magazines and made displays. I gave most of them away at some bike events and still have a few but finally told him PLEASE STOP! So right after 9/11 and remember all the weird stuff that went on about Anthrax in the mail?
    Well, One day I get this weird package and covered in tape and US Postal inspector, and other weird stamps and markings. The package was torn up and leaking a white grainy powder. WTF????

So apparently it freaked out the postal service but every day I was getting calls and emails from Alvin,, "Did you get my package?" And nothing. But when it finally arrived a month later and I opened it up I figured out why the postal service freaked out. He had sent me a miniature Florida beach kit and the white powder was sand from Florida. I am probably STILL on Govt watch lists thanks to that, so told him to please stop sending me stuff.

But Alvin, God Bless him used to harass Easy Riders and other magazines for years they should feature bikes other than typical $40,000 Harleys and show some cool home builts and I understood most told him to F**K off,,Wonder if ol'Alvin is still around today and what he thinks of this?
    Last edited by Dougtheinternetannoyance123; 10-09-2019, 1:11 AM. Reason: FU
    • Apr 2012

In recognition of some epic entertainment at times...............

Name:	DavidMannSquaresinwagon21_9nr3.jpg
Size:	120.3 KB
ID:	1313499Click image for larger version

Name:	davidmannSurfboard.jpg
Size:	99.2 KB
ID:	1313500Click image for larger version

Name:	MiraculousMuthabiggAss7b4897.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	107.7 KB
ID:	1313501Click image for larger version

Name:	Halrobinsonknuckled6e5f747cd75a013.jpg
Size:	98.3 KB
ID:	1313502Click image for larger version

Name:	HalRobinsonbignick51d035dc2.jpg
Size:	149.4 KB
ID:	1313503

Comment

• 47str8leg
      • Sep 2014

Originally posted by Dougtheinternetannoyance123
      In recognition of some epic entertainment at times...............
      [ATTACH=CONFIG]97515[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]97516[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]97517[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]97518[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]97519[/ATTACH]
      My kind of guy !
      If you have "Trash" by Hal Robinson I'd be interested in buying that.
      Easyriders was being sold , I guess some new clueless publisher bought it and is going to run it totally into the basement.
      Shame because they still have a lot of advertising there and there isn't anything at all out there in print and only a couple on the internet that are really worth reading.
      Have a chance to do it right, all you have to do is look into the past at the late eighties-90's Iron Horse with Snow at the helm and finally in complete control ( Hey Easyriders THERE is the man to get and you'll do just fine IF YOU LEAVE HIM AlONE ! ).
      Early Easyriders rarely had an article on another brand and I don't think they ever had Jap bikes at all , that's why "Iron Horse" was created in the first place.

Comment

• farmall
        • Apr 2013

Nothing of value lost. Everything cosmetic worth doing to a Harley was done long ago and ER was a product of a vanished era.

They started going corporate when "DFFL" disappeared from the masthead. They wouldn't hire David Snow because that era of East Coast biking is long gone and the few people who remember it will be gone soon. Scott "Genghis" Wong died recently so that potential contributor is history. (RIP)

ER should do what Mad Magazine did when their era ended and release a DVD box set of all their issues.

Comment

• TriNortchopz
          • Dec 2017

4 great reference 'books' they put together were the Harley Easyriders Tech Tips and Tricks, had 'em but got lost in a flooded basement along with about a thousand more biker rags and collectables (like The Chopper Cookbook, Motorcycle Wiring Made Easy...)I collected for over 20 years.

You can download the 4 volumes of Easyriders Tech Tips and Tricks, in pdf form, along with many other HD manuals, here:

Name:	Easyrider-Tech-Tips-Tricks-Vol-2.jpg
Size:	44.1 KB
ID:	1313508

Harley-Davidson service manuals for download

This is Mark's workshop. We provide Harley-Davidson motorcycle service manuals, owner's manuals, and parts catalogs for download. Enjoy your ride and awesome repairing days.

never experienced any bad stuff from the download.
          Last edited by TriNortchopz; 10-09-2019, 9:03 PM.
          If buildin' old school choppers was easy, anyone could do it... ain't nobody said it's gonna be easy...

Comment

• Micromark
            • Jul 2019

Originally posted by TriNortchopz
            4 great reference 'books' they put together were the Harley Easyriders Tech Tips and Tricks, had 'em but got lost in a flooded basement along with about a thousand more biker rags and collectables (like The Chopper Cookbook, Motorcycle Wiring Made Easy...)I collected for over 20 years.

You can download the 4 volumes of Easyriders Tech Tips and Tricks, in pdf form, along with many other HD manuals, here:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]97525[/ATTACH]

Harley-Davidson service manuals for download

This is Mark's workshop. We provide Harley-Davidson motorcycle service manuals, owner's manuals, and parts catalogs for download. Enjoy your ride and awesome repairing days.

never experienced any bad stuff from the download.
            Thank you!

Comment

• farmall
              • Apr 2013

I've used that site too. Good stuff.

Comment

• 47str8leg
                • Sep 2014

Wow , had no idea Ghengis died !
                That really sucks. I followed the Seedy X until he moved over to Facebook and I refused to join that turd. Still was able to see his stuff until he made it a closed group. Still occasionally dropped into the old site because he would still post his columns there. Didn't write all that much for quite awhile ( related to m/c subculture at least ) so it's been awhile since I bothered looking. Looked again today and there has been prolific writing about his memoirs and his Vette "Mary". I'll start reading them later today.
                His bike "Mabel" is literally ten minutes from where I'm working at Rosa's shop. I'm going to stop by today and pay her a visit.
                That REALLY bums me out. Used to like the conversations we'd have over there.

I know you love the internet Farmall but I much prefer a print magazine or books. I think it is still viable with the right people running and writing for them. They are out there , problem is the corporate morons without a clue as to the product they are selling.

Comment

• Apr 2012

Originally posted by 47str8leg
                  I know you love the internet Farmall but I much prefer a print magazine or books. I think it is still viable with the right people running and writing for them. They are out there , problem is the corporate morons without a clue as to the product they are selling.
                  I see a bright future of self publishing and people networking pushing their own product or a C0-OP of writers and content generators producing their own material and getting it out there. The music business with some artists have been evolving into this as well. Still evolving but I see it happening on the not too distant future.

I follow some writers and its already happening in some respect. There is several excellent books out there you can buy direct from their sites, eBay or Amazon and its the writer who found a way to get their stuff printed and they do most of their own marketing.

Remember 'Zines? Some cool stuff out there and bought a few that impressed me, But,, look at that "Natanic" dude with his biker calenders. Dont know him well but a poster here bought me & gifted me one of his calenders and that Natanic guy is a one man publicity machine. The package was chock full of stickers, flyers for event and promo stuff. (*IMPRESSED*)

I have 3 books part done. Should be done this winter. I have been researching this topic a lot and the direction I am going. I retain all copyright, content and control. (+ A Merch product line)

Ill add,,, +++ "The Vintagent" Has done much of this already, I dont fully comprehend his revenue streams and all the nuts and bolts but I great admire what he has created.

Name:	davidmanwshington657_fbvt.jpg
Size:	110.7 KB
ID:	1313516Click image for larger version

Name:	HalR chopc4f29f5308ce56c.jpg
Size:	146.9 KB
ID:	1313517Click image for larger version

Name:	HalR-freakfae9030c.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	1313518
                  Last edited by Dougtheinternetannoyance123; 10-10-2019, 2:45 PM. Reason: Brain fart

Comment

• farmall
                    • Apr 2013

My .milbro does self-publishing via acompany on the internet which does print-on-demand so writers can sell in whatever quantity is viable. Of course you can also get ebooks which are important nowadays.

The higher resolution photos used in electronic pubs the better since they can be displayed on modern monitors MUCH larger than a dead tree book page. Old folks will buy dead tree, younger will buy ebooks (which are much more affordable on young person wages and can be read on phone, e-reader or PC).

You can continually edit content on print-on-demand pubs because you control the original file. That makes your book a living document. It would be thoughtful to note changes. (Archive master copys to DVD burned at slowest speed available and also leave the files in cloud storage of your choice.)
                    Last edited by farmall; 10-10-2019, 3:12 PM.

Comment

• 47str8leg
                      • Sep 2014

Went to Rosa's shop to visit Mabel. He wasn't there but another old timer talked to me a little while about Genghis and Mabel.. He's been with Andrew a long time and said he has seen Ghenghis on and off about 30 some odd years. It was quiet time at the end of the day for both of us and never even got each other's names. It wasn't necessary anyway.
                      Here are a couple of shots. Lights were low but it wasn't for a professional photoshoot.
                      R.I.P Genghis and thanks for the memories.

Name:	IMG_4261.jpg
Size:	303.9 KB
ID:	1313526

Name:	IMG_4258.jpg
Size:	303.2 KB
ID:	1313527

Name:	IMG_4259.jpg
Size:	288.2 KB
ID:	1313528

Comment

• 47str8leg
                        • Sep 2014

Figures
                        Can someone straighten this pics out please ?

Comment

• KELD
                          • Sep 2012

I follow their famous photo gal "Pulsating Paula" on Facebook.
                          Sadly she is in the final stages of Cancer and not long to go.
                          Her pics were a highlight of the rag.

Comment

• Hatchet54
                            • Sep 2012

I have seen the effect the new generation of yuppie publishers is having on the motorcycle world first-hand. My best friend was an editor at Motorcyclist magazine in 2017 when Bonnier co. decided to do the six-issue thing. He got let go from his job at virtually no notice because they were pushing the magazine more towards a "lifestyle" or some shit. So when I hear Easy Rider release a statement saying they want to focus on "the sun-kissed California lifestyle"...just gag me with a spoon already.

The stories my buddy told me about the last few encounters he had at that company were disgusting. These millennial corporate hacks have no clue what the heck they are selling. Most of them don't even ride. Absolutely zero respect for the previous generation of contributing writers, editors and BIKERS, and zero respect for the traditional motorcycle culture in general. They are just concerned about Instagram followers and facebook likes and releasing dozens of the same article about why the Grom is the best gymkhana donor or whatever stupid crap. They are all aware that a market still exists of old-timers that legitimately appreciate the printed word in the motorcycle scene and just want to read stories and thoughts about riding motorcycles. But that market is not the biggest market available anymore, so therefore it's worthless.

I wasn't really around for it, but my parents told me similar stories about business in the 80's, how everybody was trying senselessly to capitalize off of stupid new technology etc. It seemed like that aggression tapered off in the 90's and 00's and things sort of returned to old-school for a while, until about 2015 or so when all the big businesses started getting Instagram accounts (by the way, can I just take a second and ask what kind of content-depraved moron would seriously consider following Quaker Oats on instagram? All the cereal boxes tell you to do it - who the hell is actually falling for it? Blows my mind). Point being, maybe we'll get lucky and see a backlash. History tends to be elliptical.

Anyway, I avoid all social media and most technology in general like it's the plague, so I'm not overly bothered by that part of it. But when I'm in line in the grocery store I like to pick up a magazine or two, and the fact that so many of the good ones are disappearing in the name of "progress" is sad to me. My mom always made fun of me for hording all my National Geographic issues. Well...

Comment

• Sep 2012

Wow! Bringing back my youth. In my late teens I read Big Bike, Choppers and Cycle Guide. I bought Easyriders Issue #1 while I was in college and had a collection of nearly every early issue until a military move caused me to get rid of them. Relax, I didn't trash them, they went to other bikers. Iron Horse #1 came along and I was hooked on it too. I liked the diversity and I've spoken many times about how much I enjoyed the "Paladin" semi cartoon articles. I bought a peanut tank owned and painted by Hal Robinson at the Webster, Florida Swap Meet in 2005. I sold it to a guy before I left the swap area. I should have kept it. Al Snow is still apparently alive and kicking. He posted a picture of his current bike which I believe is Honda 250 Rebel complete with a 70's Honda 350 extended fork. It looks much like the Honda 350 he was posting years ago. The magazine world has changed but there is hope from some of the self publishing younger guys. I've subscribed or picked up a few of the new rags. Once get around the skate boarding, they are pretty decent. I hate that Genghis has passed. David Snow is/was in Little Rock working at a tattoo shop and is/was riding an early Sportster. He posts on the Ironhead forum periodically. Several weeks ago I was at a swap meet and found two old Easyrider magazines. The guy selling them is a young HD tech and his comment was "I can't believe anyone would read that porn"! I bought both issues for $1.00...guess I can and will read that porn.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...
                              ;