Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Butterfingers
    • Sep 2013

Hurst forward controls?

Anybody know anything about these? I bought a set the other day and will have them in my hands tomorrow.

I found an old price sheet for them here:

Looks like they were distributed by Accel at one point? I can't find much more info about them though. There appear to be a couple of different styles; some for softails or for FXR/Dyna/Sportsters. I can't really tell the difference from that ad.

How long were they made? When did they stop making them?

Anyone running these? They look to be pretty solid, and for what they were charging for them back in the day, they should be good to go!

At the end of the day I just want to know a little about them in case I need to sell them or look for replacement parts.

Any info is appreciated.

Thank you!
  • Dougtheinternetannoyance123
    • Apr 2012

I am not familiar with them, although it makes perfect sense they tried to get into the market,, I have a new
    Hurst 1/4 stick super comp shifter kit sitting here for my wifes 69 Chevelle project and have had their car shifters on other hot rods in the past.

But the reason I am posting a reply is, I dont know if related, but there IS Hurst-Airheart Master cylinders, Slave cyls and Brake kits for Go karts, Mini bikes, flat trackers and other race bikes. I have some of that stuff from an old race shop, That stuff
    is not as show chrome-fancy as your setup and quite a bit different. But if they are connected you might find more resources. Based on the images I am guessing 1980s? I used to read chop magazines religiously, and drooled over many catalogs while in the military back then and truth is I have no recall of seeing them at all, so must have been short lived. I still have some old Jammer chop catalogs, as well as Dixie, Rocky Dist, Gary Bang and others from 60s-70s-80s and I dont see them.
    Sorry I cant be more helpful.

Comment

• TriNortchopz
      • Dec 2017

...I dont know if related, but there IS Hurst-Airheart Master cylinders, Slave cyls and Brake kits...
      That brake stuff is still available, but the Hurst part is gone; now it is just Airheart:

Guessing that Hurst stop making them when George Hurst died in 1986. Flowmaster, the Exhaust Technology Company (part of the B&M Racing and Performance Products group of companies in 2007 acquired Hurst Shifters. http://speedreaders.info/10615-hurst...h-performance/

and we all remember Miss Hurst Golden Shifter, Linda Vaugn:
      Click image for larger version

Name:	832a723f43b12d0cf97756042cb7699c.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	71.5 KB
ID:	1313498
      Last edited by TriNortchopz; 10-08-2019, 11:57 PM. Reason: Hurst info
      If buildin' old school choppers was easy, anyone could do it... ain't nobody said it's gonna be easy...

Comment

• Dougtheinternetannoyance123
        • Apr 2012

I do remember Linda Vaughn quite well, Still got a pile of old car magazines, she was a legend. Along with Jungle Pam...

That does make sense and the ad copy and style sure looks 1980s to me. In the Military I knew 2 guys who had Hurst-Olds cars and pretty eye catching although not my style. I have photos of one of them circa 1984 before I went overseas. One was Black with Gold, the Other White and Gold.

I met Vic Edelbrock Jr at an event and was there when he purchased a Triumph 1969 Bonneville,, well actually he paid a down payment and it was supposed to be ready the following year at the same event. (Vintage car races). Kenny Dreer was Vintage Rebuilders at the time, later went on to start Norton America, Quoted him a high price at the time ($13,000) and Mr Edelbrock didnt bat an eye or hesitate. Said........"Ill go get my checkbook!". When his TV show was on you could see the bike in the opening scenes for every show. Shame he passed away too soon.

When I was overseas at an Airbase I met a young lady carrying a gun, She was in Security Police, (I love women in uniform) and her name tape said "Weiand" So one day asked her if by chance she was any relation to the famous intake manifold and race parts company. She casually said it was her Dads company. I tried to ask her out, but she seemed to like to drink and seemed a little crazy. Shortly thereafter she disappeared and I asked around and appears they sent her back to the US. I hope things worked out for her, and never did figure out if she really WAS part of the family that produced those parts or just screwing with me.

Sorry to go sideways on this topic, But thats the extent of my knowledge on Car-Motorcycle parts interchange unless someone is interested in a Edelbrock Quick Silver air Cleaner assy. I *THOUGHT* it was a Quick silver carb under it but pulled it off a Sporty motor in storage and discovered the carb is a Mikuni. Ill sell the Edelbrock air cleaner fairly cheap.

Comment

• 47str8leg
          • Sep 2014

Name:	IMG_8422.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	314.3 KB
ID:	1313504

Name:	IMG_8421.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	310.6 KB
ID:	1313505Good to know that Airheart is still around as I'm about to get going on a 57 Pan project soon and it has that small disc hill holder set up on the front of it. Hopefully Airheart still makes rebuild kits and they aren't made in China.

P.S.- That's one helluva wig Linda is sporting there !!!
          Last edited by 47str8leg; 10-09-2019, 4:54 AM.

Comment

• Butterfingers
            • Sep 2013

Thanks guys.

So I too thought that the ad had that 80s vibe to it. That must have been on purpose, because unless they were looking into the future, there is no way this was made in the 80s. The ad describes compatibility with models all the way up to 2003. So it had to have at least been made in 03. I figure they must have made them for a couple years then when they sold in 07 they stopped? Totally guessing here...

Only thing I've found on eBay is a shifter rod for sale. I can't find much else anywhere. Haven't even seen a bike with them on yet... I mean they're just forwards, it's nothing revolutionary here, but still kinda interesting.

Thanks again.

Comment

• Tattooo
              • Sep 2012

Originally posted by 47str8leg
              [ATTACH=CONFIG]97520[/ATTACH]
              Damn that's a real nice looking Pan............... Sorry for the high jack...........

Comment

• Butterfingers
                • Sep 2013

Originally posted by Tattooo
                Sorry for the high jack...........

I admittedly got a little excited here because I thought you might have some info, seeing as you typically have some info....

All good on the high jack. It is a nice looking Pan!

Comment

• Tattooo
                  • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Butterfingers
                  I admittedly got a little excited here because I thought you might have some info, seeing as you typically have some info....

Man I wish I could help you but I know very little about aftermarket parts......... I never really bought many through the years...... I always liked factory Harley parts and accessories better..... Now Superior, Dixie from back in the day that's different.........

Tri and a couple others would be your man on figuring out more about what you have........

Comment

• Sky
                    • Aug 2009

Taiwanese junk with the Hurst name stamped on them.
                    Hope yours are new old stock, cause they wear out quick...
                    Late '90s nightmare
                    Popular with the OCC crowd, a flash not meant to last.
                    Remember the "hardcore II" bike kits? Yeah
                    "Billet" for billets sake. Once they wear out, time to replace.
                    I've shimed and bushed and locktighted these style controls for stubborn customers more than a few times.
                    And I've always recommend they go with something else.
                    Good money after bad.
                    And don't get me started on non folding pegs that close to the ground.

Comment

• Tattooo
                      • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Sky

Yep that's a very bad idea.......

Comment

• Butterfingers
                        • Sep 2013

Originally posted by Sky
                        Taiwanese junk with the Hurst name stamped on them.
                        Hope yours are new old stock, cause they wear out quick...
                        Late '90s nightmare
                        Popular with the OCC crowd, a flash not meant to last.
                        Remember the "hardcore II" bike kits? Yeah
                        "Billet" for billets sake. Once they wear out, time to replace.
                        I've shimed and bushed and locktighted these style controls for stubborn customers more than a few times.
                        And I've always recommend they go with something else.
                        Good money after bad.
                        So how do you really feel about them?

Just kidding, thank you for the straightforward answer... Unfortunately mine are not NOS. They seem to be in fairly decent shape. I had planned to replace the non folding pegs with something else, so point well taken there. They weren't super expensive and I should likely be able to get my money back if I end up selling them.

Thanks again!

Comment

• Kurtis
                          • Feb 2018

Been running Hurst front brake master over a year solid was I could find clutch master

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                          Working...
                          ;