Mobile ad top forum

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • farmall
    • Apr 2013

You can temporarily bypass HD breakers by putting both eyelet connectors to the same post, but you'd better not have a short in that circuit. Breakers beat the piss out of fuses but they do get old. When I redo a harness I discard the breakers since they're cheap to replace. Ignition key switches are also disposable.

I look for excuses to shitcan old electrical parts. It pays off.

Comment

• HogsRear
      • Sep 2015

Originally posted by Sky
      A lot of good advice in this thread so far...
      Are you certain your issue is heat related? Vibration is synonymous with Shovelheads

Double checking or even adding good ground(s) has not been mentioned yet.

Ignition switches can be finicky with heat and vibration.

Is your carb properly insulated?

With Shovels you've got
      Iron cylinders
      Aluminum cases, heads and rocker boxes
      Steel cam, lifters, rockers and seats
      Pushrods can be aluminum or steel
      They all expand at different rates thermally...
      The pushrod material can make a big difference as to how tight or loose the cold valve lash is set.

So, I like to "spin check" solids with the bike warm
      Only way to know for sure
      Good call, I checked when the bike was cold. Will check again. Bike is at my buddy's house so I haven't been able to go over it yet. I should have mentioned that all of the wiring is stripped down and redone as simple as possible and there is no main breaker. I had a wire short out before with similar symptoms so I'm hoping this is the cause.

Comment

• farmall
        • Apr 2013

What substitutes for the main breaker or do you hate your own charging system? Shorts don't just melt wires...

If it's a blade fuse (glass fuses are utter shit) that will work but ATA blade breakers are drop-in replacements. A particularly useful aspect of running fuses or breakers is easy troubleshooting by disconnecting sub-systems.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
        Working...
        ;