Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • HogsRear
    • Sep 2015

Shovelhead Shuts Down When Hot

Looking for some ideas as to what could be happening with my bike now. It's a '73 Super Glide in a hardtail frame, ratchet top trans, Super E carb, kick only. It starts right up in one or two kicks very time when cold, then after about 20 minutes of riding starts to misfire and pop out of the exhaust. It gradually gets worse and worse until the bike just shuts down and will not start again until it has had some time to cool.

So far I have put a new coil on, new points and condenser, plugs and plug wires, checked and redone timing, checked pushrods, new battery a few months ago, but the problem is still there. I recently switched to the Super E from a CV after the same problem thinking it might have been the culprit, but the bike seems to like the E better when it's running so I kept it. Put new intake O rings on when I changed carbs. The wiring was redone a few months ago when the bike was put together in the hardtailed frame. I've been digging through other threads with similar issues and have found a similar story being solved by replacing the advance unit and weights which I am going to try next. I have not had any engine work done since owning this bike and am unsure of the history behind it. I also haven't changed the regulator. Could the problem be related to the engine itself? Regulator? Battery? Any input or ideas are appreciated.
  • BuddhahoodVato
    • Apr 2010

Short

Comment

• Tattooo
      • Sep 2012

Weak battery...........

Comment

• JBinNC
        • Dec 2018

Originally posted by BuddhahoodVato
        Short
        Ding ding ding. ^^^

Wire in the harness shorting through the insulation when hot. It happens. I just fixed (I hope) a similar problem. Harness at the handlebar switches ('96 - up style) were pinched where they should not have been. Ran perfectly until fully hot, about a half hour.

Jim

Comment

• HogsRear
          • Sep 2015

Originally posted by Tattooo
          Weak battery...........
          A weak battery would fire right up fine then cause these symptoms after riding for a bit?

Comment

• HogsRear
            • Sep 2015

Originally posted by JBinNC
            Ding ding ding. ^^^

Wire in the harness shorting through the insulation when hot. It happens. I just fixed (I hope) a similar problem. Harness at the handlebar switches ('96 - up style) were pinched where they should not have been. Ran perfectly until fully hot, about a half hour.

Jim
            Thanks Jim. I will take a look through the whole harness asap and check for shorts.

Comment

• HogsRear
              • Sep 2015

Another thought related to that – if it were a short, wouldn't this cause the bike to immediately shut off rather than a slow decrease in performance, misfiring and popping over the span of a few minutes ultimately leading to a shut down?

Comment

• ncmc47
                • Oct 2012

Could be a condenser getting ready to let go. Just because they're new doesn't mean they're good, they can break down on the shelf.

Comment

• Tattooo
                  • Sep 2012

Originally posted by HogsRear
                  A weak battery would fire right up fine then cause these symptoms after riding for a bit?
                  Damn right it will........ Especially on a kick bike with points..................

Comment

• metalheart28
                    • Feb 2014

Is your tank vent plugged?

Comment

• HogsRear
                      • Sep 2015

Originally posted by metalheart28
                      Is your tank vent plugged?
                      Tank vent seems to be working fine, no difference in performance with gas cap off while running

Comment

• Micromark
                        • Jul 2019

Originally posted by Tattooo
                        Weak battery...........
                        I just experienced this. I run a Dynatek S though.... Bike ran great on the highway but once I got into town it would sputter and backfire. Let it sit for 10 minutes and kicked right over again only to start running bad again in a minute or so. Wouldn’t start a third time though.
                        Had a bad AGM battery.

Comment

• Tattooo
                          • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Micromark
                          Wouldn’t start a third time though. Had a bad AGM battery.
                          It's astounding what problems a weak battery will cause......

Comment

• HogsRear
                            • Sep 2015

Alright I have ordered a new sealed battery to replace the current lead acid battery I got from NAPA, hoping that it helps. Going to look over the wiring this weekend and see if there are any weak spots or pinched wires. Thanks all!

Comment

• Tattooo
                              • Sep 2012

Originally posted by HogsRear
                              Alright I have ordered a new sealed battery to replace the current lead acid battery
                              Did you happen to check it to see if it was bad???????????? Or are you just going to assume it's bad??????

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...
                              ;