Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • HogsRear
    • Sep 2015

Originally posted by Tattooo
    Did you happen to check it to see if it was bad???????????? Or are you just going to assume it's bad??????
    It tested ok not running but I wanted to switch to a sealed battery that fits in the oil bag a little better anyways so I will keep the old one as backup.

Comment

• TriNortchopz
      • Dec 2017

If your alternator and regulator are operating as intended, don't even need a battery with your points type ignition.
      If buildin' old school choppers was easy, anyone could do it... ain't nobody said it's gonna be easy...

Comment

• Skjoll
        • Oct 2018

Are you still getting a spark on both cylinders after the motor shuts down? Is there fuel in the carb's bowl after the motor shuts down? I have yet to see any results from attempting to diagnose the problem.
        Last edited by Skjoll; 10-10-2019, 8:56 AM.

Comment

• HogsRear
          • Sep 2015

Originally posted by Skjoll
          Are you still getting a spark on both cylinders after the motor shuts down? Is there fuel in the carb's bowl after the motor shuts down? I have yet to see any results from attempting to diagnose the problem.
          Yes and yes.

Comment

• Skjoll
            • Oct 2018

What you've described sounds so much like inadequate or zero valve clearance when cold so as the motor heats up and the valve gear tightens up, the valves are prevented from closing completely until they remain open far enough that you no longer have adequate compression for the air/fuel mix to ignite.

Comment

• farmall
              • Apr 2013

What Skjoll said. I'd readjust the tappets. It's common to get them too tight.

Loose is life, tight burns valves.

Comment

• JBinNC
                • Dec 2018

What you've described sounds so much like inadequate or zero valve clearance when cold so as the motor heats up and the valve gear tightens up, the valves are prevented from closing completely until they remain open far enough that you no longer have adequate compression for the air/fuel mix to ignite.
                With shovels, the opposite happens. The cylinders grow (it's a tall motor) and the valve lash increases on solids.

Jim

Comment

• JBinNC
                  • Dec 2018

Originally posted by farmall
                  What Skjoll said. I'd readjust the tappets. It's common to get them too tight.

Loose is life, tight burns valves.
                  +++^^^

Most people try to adjust the valves too tight in an attempt to make them quieter. I think that is an error.

Jim

Comment

• HogsRear
                    • Sep 2015

Originally posted by JBinNC
                    +++^^^

Most people try to adjust the valves too tight in an attempt to make them quieter. I think that is an error.

Jim
                    Interesting, I guess this could be what's happening. I checked my pushrods when I changed the points a couple weeks ago and everything seemed fine (not loose, but still able to spin them in my fingers) but I will check again.

Comment

• Skjoll
                      • Oct 2018

Originally posted by JBinNC
                      With shovels, the opposite happens. The cylinders grow (it's a tall motor) and the valve lash increases on solids.

Jim
                      Do you find this to be true with just shovelheads or have you known other HD motors to behave the same way?

Comment

• Sky
                        • Aug 2009

A lot of good advice in this thread so far...
                        Are you certain your issue is heat related? Vibration is synonymous with Shovelheads

Double checking or even adding good ground(s) has not been mentioned yet.

Ignition switches can be finicky with heat and vibration.

Is your carb properly insulated?

With Shovels you've got
                        Iron cylinders
                        Aluminum cases, heads and rocker boxes
                        Steel cam, lifters, rockers and seats
                        Pushrods can be aluminum or steel
                        They all expand at different rates thermally...
                        The pushrod material can make a big difference as to how tight or loose the cold valve lash is set.

So, I like to "spin check" solids with the bike warm
                        Only way to know for sure

Comment

• Tattooo
                          • Sep 2012

Do you find this to be true with just shovelheads or have you known other HD motors to behave the same way?
                          Yep...................

Comment

• 47str8leg
                            • Sep 2014

Sounds to me like a main breaker.

Comment

• Sky
                              • Aug 2009

Main breaker wouldn't show a deterioration of performance.
                              Just a sudden lack of spark (and lights) till it resets.
                              But I have seen corrroded/damaged breakers. loose posts, lose bolts, bad crimps....

Comment

• 47str8leg
                                • Sep 2014

Originally posted by Sky
                                Main breaker wouldn't show a deterioration of performance.
                                Just a sudden lack of spark (and lights) till it resets.
                                But I have seen corrroded/damaged breakers. loose posts, lose bolts, bad crimps....
                                Have to disagree as I had the same exact symptoms on my full dresser about 15 years ago.lights blinking on and off , speedo going crazy , bike sputtering till it died. Wait 20 minutes, bike fired back up and go down the road fine for another 20-30 miles. Was down in Florida for bike week and wanted to ride down to the Keys. Bike started acting up so. I bailed on it. Lucky for me friends had a bus set up for bikes with tools . Kept looking at a whole bunch of shit like the O.P. . Thought. I had it figured out and tried riding it home ( N.Y. ). 30 miles later ( as had been happening all week )
                                I loaded it on the bus.
                                Got it back home and after chasing down wiring figuring it had to be a short . Flabbergasted I figured there was nothing else left to check I changed the main.
                                Bingo.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                                Working...
                                ;