CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Default Frame, Tank, fork Knowledge Needed

Ok, new project ...
    I have no idea of the Softail frame mfg.
    The forks are 15" over big dog trees- 35" from bottom cup to axle
    21" front rim and 16" rear wheel.
    What tank will fit the tank mounts, any ideas or should I cut the mount blocks off?
    Should I cut the fork tubes or go with 60's style hiboy style?

All opinions and any knowledge welcome!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20190929_213518082.jpg   IMG_20191005_152633520.jpg   00h0h_5fRUtsqDTgE_1200x900.jpg   00z0z_19aZ9WWx1tD_1200x900.jpg  

The tank mounts are for the typical two piece Softail tanks with center dash/speedo. With the curve in the top tube, I don't know how well you would be able to get the tanks to fit. And the front lower tank mount is missing. To me it appears that the frame builder couldn't decide what he wanted to do.

It's up to you what to do with that stuff. If you don't know, why buy it in the first place?

Jim

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

^^^^^^ Yep it's like a blank canvas to a painter..... ^^^^^^^^^^^^

With just a couple of lines drawn............

It's your bike you can build it anyway you want, Let your mind and fingers wander...............

Have at it..............

Quote Originally Posted by JBinNC View Post
    The tank mounts are for the typical two piece Softail tanks with center dash/speedo. With the curve in the top tube, I don't know how well you would be able to get the tanks to fit. And the front lower tank mount is missing. To me it appears that the frame builder couldn't decide what he wanted to do.

It's up to you what to do with that stuff. If you don't know, why buy it in the first place?

Jim
    From what I am seeing across the internet on new bare softail frames for sale from various mfg - alot of them have that top tube bent down and back up. I was hoping someone on here knew why and what was its purpose?

Yes, I bought it to build and realize it needs some tab / mount etc fab work.

Thanks for the tank and dash info needed to know that before cutting them off.

Quote Originally Posted by Tattooo View Post
    ^^^^^^ Yep it's like a blank canvas to a painter..... ^^^^^^^^^^^^

With just a couple of lines drawn............

It's your bike you can build it anyway you want, Let your mind and fingers wander...............

Have at it..............
    You are correct in the bare canvas, that's what the bike in my avatar was My intention is to build it basic and with an old school 60's look but the back bone on the frame was throwing me, not understanding why several frame mfg are doing that and why on the Softail frames.

Looking for all opinions on build ideas moving forward.

Get Adobe Flash player

Usually the bend in the top tube is to clear tall Evo engines.

Quote Originally Posted by KevinN View Post
    Usually the bend in the top tube is to clear tall Evo engines.
    Thanks for the info, that makes sense. So whatever tank I end up putting on it will have that void under it?

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by DRY View Post
    Thanks for the info, that makes sense. So whatever tank I end up putting on it will have that void under it?
    Not really.........

I think the back bone/frame is odd looking for some reason................. I would like to see what it looks like with a motor in it...............

But I guess since I've never liked the look of a softail frame I might be a little jaded........

Get Adobe Flash player

My intention is to build it basic and with an old school 60's look but the back bone on the frame was throwing me, not understanding why several frame mfg are doing that and why on the Softail frames.
    That's going to be hard to pull off since it's a softail frame....... It will end up being a 90s bike no matter what you do to it...... Kinda like the one in you avatar.... But that one turned out nice....

Get Adobe Flash player

From what I see in the photos you have the standard mounting for the flat side fat bobs typical of softails. there is a through hole in the backbone for a speedo cable and the vertical threaded bushings in the rear part of the upper tube for fat bob rear mounts. The void area would be partially hidden by any type of tank tunnel and flat sides with a dash you wouldn't know the frame had a double bend in the back bone. As already said, the lower front mount is missing.
    Last edited by KevinN; 10-06-2019 at 7:01 PM.

That's going to be hard to pull off since it's a softail frame....... It will end up being a 90s bike no matter what you do to it...... Kinda like the one in you avatar.... But that one turned out nice....
    Yeah, I know what you mean. I guess I should have said with a 60's vibe since the stance will be higher in the front. I can't make up my mind whether or not to have the tubes cut down to level out the frame. I would really like to duplicate the other one but with the Softail frame. Only issue is the two frames are two different animals. Deciding on direction to go right know is the hard part my vision in my mind is kind of blurred on it right now.

Quote Originally Posted by KevinN View Post
    From what I see in the photos you have the standard mounting for the flat side fat bobs typical of softails. there is a through hole in the backbone for a speedo cable and the vertical threaded bushings in the rear part of the upper tube for fat bob rear mounts. The void area would be partially hidden by any type of tank tunnel and flat sides with a dash you wouldn't know the frame had a double bend in the back bone. As already said, the lower front mount is missing.
    Thanks that explains a lot, I understand more know the speedo cable hole takes care of that mystery. So I am guessing the flat side fat Bob tanks hang down lower due to a dash? The front tank mounts that are missing is there one or two? Does someone have a pic of what the front mounts look like when on the frame?

Get Adobe Flash player

I guess I should have said with a 60's vibe since the stance will be higher in the front.

Just remember the front will lower some when you put the motor in the frame......

Just remember the front will lower some when you put the motor in the frame......
    Good point - fuel and engine etc - I need to mock it in there and see how much it settles. Putting an S&S super sidewinder 107 in between the rails. Should be a decent mill for this rig.
    Last edited by DRY; 10-07-2019 at 7:39 AM. Reason: Spell

Get Adobe Flash player

Should be a decent mill for this rig.
    Yea it will be OK.................

Get Adobe Flash player

If you favor Sportster tanks or are building it to flip that's a much less expensive option and a high tunnel single tank of any style might tuck in well to visually lower the lines of the bike. You could visualize the result buy gutting a junk tank if a stock tunnel is too low. Shorter fork tubes could make for a low and tighter build if that's your thing.

Quote Originally Posted by farmall View Post
    If you favor Sportster tanks or are building it to flip that's a much less expensive option and a high tunnel single tank of any style might tuck in well to visually lower the lines of the bike. You could visualize the result buy gutting a junk tank if a stock tunnel is too low. Shorter fork tubes could make for a low and tighter build if that's your thing.
    I am building this one to ride as well, my other one the visual image wasn't hard to see. Know this one is a different story, I just can't seem to visualize anything yet.... dang it!

Share This