Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • KrisCarr
    • Oct 2019

Allow me to introduce Blu

Blu is a 1984 Honda VT500C. This is my very first bike build and I did all the work with my own two hands. Im also into the entire build, including the purchase price of the bike for under $500 cdn. I learned a ton during the course of this build. First attempt at upholstery, first time rebuilding a stator, first time riding a motorcycle, etc. I think the old boy cane out pretty good but is a constant work in progress. The latest addition is the right side mounted tank shifter because an accident left me with limited mobility in my left foot making shifting very difficult. Can anyone tell where I drew my inspiration from?
    Attached Files
  • Luky
    • May 2018

Harley Davidson tank shifter. Or cushion scooter.

Comment

• KrisCarr
      • Oct 2019

I made it out of scrap. Heres a quick video of it. Theres a Harley toe shifter, a headlight mount bracket, a ski-doo tie rod, a 10 speed bicycle kick stand, an alternator bracket, fidget spinner bearings and some random springs and such in there. https://youtu.be/mghs4g7M4AE

Comment

• KrisCarr
        • Oct 2019

I made everything custom on the bike. I dont buy parts I can make myself and it turns out thats just about anything

Comment

• mikecola
          • Oct 2010

nice one, still left hand clutch?

Comment

• KrisCarr
            • Oct 2019

Yes still.left hand clutch and the toe shifter is still operational as well

Comment

• Tattooo
              • Sep 2012

Originally posted by KrisCarr
              Yes still.left hand clutch and the toe shifter is still operational as well
              Can I ask why the hand shifter??????? Is it just for looks??????

Comment

• KrisCarr
                • Oct 2019

In June I had an accident and broke my left tibia, fibula, fractured my ankle and fractured my foot in 9 places. I now have a titanium rod inside my tibia and can walk again but my ankle doesn't have the strength or range of motion to use the toe shifter. The hand shifter was so that I could ride in the toy run last weekend.Click image for larger version

Name:	Resized_20190608_101223(1).jpg
Views:	1
Size:	301.1 KB
ID:	1313441

Comment

• Tattooo
                  • Sep 2012

In June I had an accident and broke my left tibia, fibula, fractured my ankle and fractured my foot in 9 places. I now have a titanium rod inside my tibia and can walk again but my ankle doesn't have the strength or range of motion to use the toe shifter. The hand shifter was so that I could ride in the toy run last weekend.[ATTACH=CONFIG]97429[/ATTACH]

I had a feeling that might be the case........ I was thinking handicapped but I didn't want to say that just yet...... Glad it worked out for you........... I bet it was a bear to ride and dangerous in a group of people????? Giving it throttle and shifting with the same hand?????
                  Last edited by Tattooo; 10-06-2019, 9:03 AM.

Comment

• KrisCarr
                    • Oct 2019

It was actually great to ride. My daily driver is a manual transmission and once I got used to the shifter position on the bike it was just like second nature. I actually put a lot of thought into the placement of the shifter to have it in the safest and easiest to use position. Thats why its on the right side and so close to the handle bar. No, you cant apply throttle while shifting but my hand only leaves the grip for a second. Everyone was shocked to see me out on the ride and the shifter was a hit. Actually two people have inquired about me building them one.

Comment

• Tattooo
                      • Sep 2012

Actually two people have inquired about me building them one.

That's great, Hope they have good of luck with it as you did if you get to build them......

Comment

• PeanutHead
                        • Nov 2011

Slick looking bike! The shifter lever is crazy too.

Comment

• KrisCarr
                          • Oct 2019

Thank you sir. I think during the snowy months Im going to strip it down to the frame. I want to remove all the tabs Im not using and paint the frame. Tha tank needs a respray too from when I laid it down but it actually a lot less damage than I did.

Comment

• farmall
                            • Apr 2013

Very cool that you rewound the stator. Outside pro rebuilders that's almost a lost art.

Comment

• KrisCarr
                              • Oct 2019

Originally posted by farmall
                              Very cool that you rewound the stator. Outside pro rebuilders that's almost a lost art.
                              My thoughts were "its broken already, can't make it worse by trying" Besides, I have a huge aversion to online shopping and I couldn't find a new one in town.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...
                              ;