hopefully rite place this is a warning slash bitch if wrong place i will move it

Collapse

Desktop Ad Forum Top

Collapse

Mobile ad top forum

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • grumpy2bde
    • Dec 2011

hopefully rite place this is a warning slash bitch if wrong place i will move it

my .02

first off i have been riding an workin on bikes for a min or 2 i am no school trained tech not by a longshot i am like most here grew up around bikes an learned fron local guy that said i wont fix it but i will answer ?’ s so u dont fuk shit up.... meanwhile bak at the batcave...
    i have a 99 dyna stock tc and i wanted to boost it up a bit and got wit my local wrench who knows a bit more then me an he ordered an s&s sidewinder bolt in kit part # 0931-0740 to bump it up to bout 100” i followed all the break in directions and it wasnt on the bike more than a month mayb and it gave up this god awful squalin an squealing noise and a loud azz bang i pulled clutch an coasted to side of the road i got it refired .. luckly i was very close to home got it there an loaded on trailer and took it bak to my guy he looked at it an the piston was tore up as well as the wall of cyl he contacted s&s and told them wat happened they immediately said send it back an sent a new set as s&s already knew of an issue with some being resleeved instead of new cyl... ok fast forward to next break in period wich had the added part that if the bike sat for more then say 10 mins ie: a ferry ride across the cumberland river.. it needed to warm up again for bout 5 mins as the piston an the cyl were 2 diff metals meaning diff cool off/ heat up times so handle with kid gloves but lo an behold it happened again same thing on the trailer back to my guy and the same thing happened to cyl an piston he contacted s&s an at first they said it was my fault this happened not the fact that the cyl walls were rather thin so bak an forth it went so s&s decided for “ good customer relations” they would replace 1 more time .... and do i really have to tell u wat happened again and all 3 times it was under 500 mile break in .. now i personally will not buy another s&s bolt in nuthin an now i got sum pricey paperweights i will b puttin it bak to stock for now , and for those i hear out there about how my wrench mite suk , no .. no he does not he has a large clientele an a good rep as far as bike work goes... if you were to ask me .. imo i wouldn’t waste your hard earned $$ on this an if you do i wish you better luck an hope it works for you an you dont get my nitemare
  • JBinNC
    • Dec 2018

Not to pick on you, but one of the definitions of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.
    Since you experienced the problem only on the front cylinder, and knowing the nature of these v-twins as I do, I would say that you guys had the tune-up too lean, as the front cylinder will run slightly leaner than the rear. One other possibility is that the bottom end is running lean of oil, as again that condition will be worse on the front cylinder.
    Having not seen your motor parts, I am just speculating, but heat is what kills pistons, and the two above conditions would result in enough heat to do the damage. Just fitting new parts, and blaming the problem on the parts, without considering the other parameters, is no way to deal with an occurrence like this. But, THREE TIMES? It ain't the parts.

Jim

Comment

• Dragstews
      • Sep 2010

I did a S&S kit to this 99 Twinkie ..
      The Boy got about 12,000 miles on it now and still racking em up ...

106 "
      Last edited by Dragstews; 10-03-2019, 7:38 PM.
      Take my 45 and outrun em all ..

Comment

• Tattooo
        • Sep 2012

Originally posted by JBinNC
        But, THREE TIMES? It ain't the parts.

Jim

Yep I agree....... I'm thinking it was caused by the heat from it sitting still idleing, as he said {it needed to warm up again for bout 5 mins} Did you use a watch to make sure it wasn't more than 5min???? I really doubt it...... I NEVER let a new motor sit still NEVER, That's the worse thing you can do to a new motor......

But I will say I HATE S&S parts................
        Last edited by Tattooo; 10-03-2019, 8:22 PM.

Comment

• grumpy2bde
          • Dec 2011

if i said front cyl i was incorrect it was both ... i apologize for mistake... i was following s&s instructions
          Last edited by grumpy2bde; 10-03-2019, 8:36 PM.

Comment

• grumpy2bde
            • Dec 2011

i agree that is the meaning of insanity.... never said i was sane ... lolClick image for larger version

Name:	229EBC49-4872-42EE-8384-D4535933797E.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	86.8 KB
ID:	1313387
            Last edited by grumpy2bde; 10-03-2019, 8:49 PM.

Comment

• Tattooo
              • Sep 2012

Originally posted by grumpy2bde
              [ATTACH=CONFIG]97357[/ATTACH]
              Oh yea that's caused from excessive heat..... Never let a bike just sit and idle......... I don't like to do that to a bike with 20K on it............

Comment

• grumpy2bde
                • Dec 2011

as i said i was following s&s instructions

Comment

• Jakerz
                  • Mar 2019

Doesn't S&S tell you to heat cycle the motor, which involves letting it get to X temp sitting still, then cool back off and repeat?

Jake

Comment

• JBinNC
                    • Dec 2018

That is the strangest pattern of galling I have seen. I would expect to see galling all across the thrust face.
                    You may have followed the break-in instructions, but you stated the first piston faed after a month. That should have been well past the break-in stage, so I think the break-in method is not the issue.
                    That is heat damage for sure, but you need to determine the cause of the heat.
                    Pistons fit too tight.
                    Carb too lean, and/ or a vacuum leak.
                    Timing too retarded, or too advanced.
                    Lack of oil getting to the rods, and thence to the piston skirts.
                    Piston oiling jets blocked (on a twink).
                    Idling a motor in normal traffic after a month of use (if you have been riding it regularly) should not have been a problem.

Too bad this happened, I know you are soured on the whole thing.

Jim

Comment

• Tattooo
                      • Sep 2012

Originally posted by grumpy2bde
                      as i said i was following s&s instructions
                      You might have but many people don't follow it to the letter....... I'll ask again did you use a watch to see how long you left it idling??????? I doubt it as most people say I know how long time is........

Do you own a lazer temp gauge???????? I have one they work great with no guess work...........

Comment

• JBinNC
                        • Dec 2018

If it's any consolation, I just took in a cylinder set from another shop with the same problem. This one is a 103cu.in. shovel. Fancy pistons, ceramic top, skirt coating, front piston galled bad, about 100 miles. Mechanic says looks like it might have had a vacuum leak. So, too lean, and too much heat, $$$ damage.

Jim

Comment

• Tater66
                          • Mar 2019

Yep. I wasted a S&S 113 piston/cylinder due to lean condition and stuck in traffic.
                          Cracked the cylinder and smeared the shit out of the piston. $1000 paperweight.
                          Like a dumbass I rode that bitch home. Going slower as I went.

Word to the wise...it doesnt matter how close you are to the barn. If the horse is dying, stop beating it or its dead for sure.

Comment

• grumpy2bde
                            • Dec 2011

unfortunately no i did not time it and probably should hace

Comment

• grumpy2bde
                              • Dec 2011

i was sick durin the first break in so it took a while to get there

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...
                              ;