Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MegaDON666
    • Jul 2010

Rear Wheel for a BSA Chopper?

I have this 63 A65 chopper im working on, biggest issue im having is the rear wheel. The one it currently has, i have no idea what it is, and even if I where to find out, would not run anyways, has a really small drum maybe from a Honda?

Would I be able to throw any rear wheel I find? What should I be looking in regards to offset or anything im missing?
    Just finished rebuilding the motor, but want to get it rolling before I do the Sissy bar/Seat/tank.

Thanks in advance.
  • Dougtheinternetannoyance123
    • Apr 2012

lacking a lot of important details,,, I know BSA,, but what is missing here is it

A) A stock frame thats been hard tailed?
    B) Aftermarket frame or other brand such as a converted Triumph frame?
    C) What width do you have for the rear wheel between the frame/axle plates?
    D) What size is the axle slots? IE: Suitable for a 7/8ths axle, 1" etc?
    E) What set up for chain adjusters is there or what does it look like? (Some use the adjusters as spacers, some have a boss and use a bolt or stud)

A picture would help here otherwise everyone is shooting in the dark guessing.

Here is some basic info. BSA A65s used a variants in rear wheels, for example a 1967 Hornet used, to my knowledge a one year only axle (Been there did that). But Stock A65 wheels are a QD hub which means the drum and chain can be left in place while the wheel is removed,, they mate together with splines and a stub axle on one side and a dummy axle on the other.

Unit BSA singles run a very similar appearing wheel assy and easily confused, I have yet to concisely figure it out, but seems there is some differences but basically a 250cc-350cc-441 runs lighter duty?

Early BSAs ran the speedo off the gearbox (So did Triumph) But at some point they switched to a speedo drive off the rear wheel with a 2 tab small drum on the end of the wheel, Some models blank off that stub so run a different axle and spacers. (Competition models)

In 1971 Both Triumph and BSA went Oil in the Frame -OIF for the 650 twins and used a totally differnt rear wheel, called the Conical hub and its alloy. Also NOT a QD hub and it also ran a smaller axle and totally different axle adjusters. Many people run these and can be made to work.

I have seen a number of people run a jap bike rear wheel, sometimes because its what they have on hand, but other reasons as well, (Alternative gearing/sprockets, Offset and alignment and the best one of all, Some have a really NICE cush drive setup superior to any British design)

Depending on what frame you have an how the engine mounts (Spacers?) you stick a engine case in with a CS sprocket, and use a chain or laser to figure out the chain run and THEN you can figure out how to line it up,

There used to be some decent aftermarket chopper frames you could buy, some still floating around, But A65 Chops using a stock frame tend to be odd,, I have seen a few hardtailed that look good and nice lines (Sold one last year) But many look weird because many graft on a hardtail, often off a Triumph and the frame looks bent in the middle, the lines just look off. So its ALL in the execution, but a nice rigid BSA can be fun.

I have a bunch of them, Preunit and Unit, Singles and twins.

Click image for larger version

Name:	keep-calm-and-ride-a-bsa.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	26.8 KB
ID:	1313367Click image for larger version

Name:	Keepontruckinee57f2.jpg
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	1313368

Comment

• Luky
      • May 2018

Originally posted by MegaDON666
      I have this 63 A65 chopper im working on, biggest issue im having is the rear wheel. The one it currently has, i have no idea what it is, and even if I where to find out, would not run anyways, has a really small drum maybe from a Honda?

Would I be able to throw any rear wheel I find? What should I be looking in regards to offset or anything im missing?
      Just finished rebuilding the motor, but want to get it rolling before I do the Sissy bar/Seat/tank.

Thanks in advance.
      You have a BSA A65. I would get a BSA A65 rear wheel. Done.
      Last edited by Luky; 10-03-2019, 10:40 AM. Reason: wrong photo.

Comment

• TriNortchopz
        • Dec 2017

Here is a wheel from the year of your A65; 1963, which featured a full width hub:

Name:	15.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	221.7 KB
ID:	1313388

1965 had both the alloy hub as '62 to '64, but was also the start of the cast iron hub (#67-6136):

Name:	16a.jpg
Size:	282.3 KB
ID:	1313389

1966 listed the rear hub as the 'crinkly hub (#68-6114), and had the speedo drive on the rear wheel, which lasted through 1970:

Name:	18.jpg
Size:	212.0 KB
ID:	1313390

and in 1971, the Conical Hub was introduced:

Name:	17.jpg
Size:	277.0 KB
ID:	1313391

This may help identify the wheel you have - can you post a pic?

I had a 5.00 x 16 on my old crinkly hub 1969 A65 with a weld-on hardtail, which I got laced to a 5.50 x 15, with lots of offset to clear the chain.

BCS makes a hardtail frame for the A65, based on their Triumph frame, which measures 7-9/16" between axle carriers;

Name:	544800A041.jpg
Size:	14.0 KB
ID:	1313392
        If buildin' old school choppers was easy, anyone could do it... ain't nobody said it's gonna be easy...

Comment

• MegaDON666
          • Jul 2010

I appreciate all the info, This will be a tremendous help. My wheel doesnt look like any of the diagrams, but I will take more detailed pics this weekend, this is the only pic of when I first picked it up.

Name:	bsa.jpg
Size:	165.1 KB
ID:	1313409

Comment

• TriNortchopz
            • Dec 2017

Nice CCW girder;

Name:	CCW girder, original ad.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	1313425
            If buildin' old school choppers was easy, anyone could do it... ain't nobody said it's gonna be easy...

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
            Working...
            ;