X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Theonlychrisj
    • Feb 2018

Headlight Help

hey y'all.

I scored this rad '56 Nash Rambler light and am planning to use it as my headlight. The whole assembly is cast - no plastic. The plan is to use a LED assembly and fab a backing plate to fasten a mount I'll also have to make. I have the back plate and mounts figured - but I'm having trouble figuring out a way to retain the actual LED headlight bulb. All the LED assemblies I'm looking at are direct replacements for H4 halogens. Does anyone have any ideas for a H4 retainer / how to mount the retainer to the cast metal housing?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9115.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	295.9 KB
ID:	1345633

Name:	IMG_9116.jpg
Size:	290.8 KB
ID:	1345634

Name:	IMG_9117.jpg
Size:	288.4 KB
ID:	1345635
  • TriNortchopz
    • Dec 2017

How deep is that light base from lens gasket face? How deep in the back? How high is the lens above gasket surface? more pics?
    If buildin' old school choppers was easy, anyone could do it... ain't nobody said it's gonna be easy...

Comment

• Sky
      • Aug 2009

As TNC points out
      That thing don't look deep enough for an H4
      And most of the H4 LEDs aren't bright enough, nor will throw the right pattern to see with.
      Your best bet is to find a similar-sized off road light and gut it.
      if there's a northern tool near you, they usually have the lights hooked up to a display so you can actually see for yourself how bright they are.
      and take note of their physical size(s)

Comment

• Theonlychrisj
        • Feb 2018

Thanks boys. I'll take/post more photos tonight, but the housing is definitely deep enough. EazyCo recently converted this exact same light into a headlight using a LED, so I know it can be done.

I don't have a Northern Tool near me. I was planning to buy a LED assembly from Amazon - they have drop-in replacements for headlights that are bright enough - the catch is that they all mount using the H4 three-pronged retainer from the original housing.

For reference, here is the LED I've been looking at: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07C6B94TF...v_ov_lig_dp_it

Also for reference, not my light or photo, but this is the same model - it's definitely deep enough to house an LED:

Name:	s-l1600.jpg
Size:	299.7 KB
ID:	1313356

I know I'm going to have to drill out the back of the housing to accommodate the LED - I just don't know how to fix the LED body to the housing...

Comment

• Tattooo
          • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Theonlychrisj
          EazyCo recently converted this exact same light into a headlight using a LED, so I know it can be done.

How did they do it??????????

Comment

• Theonlychrisj
            • Feb 2018

The guy I've been asking said he machined a metal housing so the LED would fit just like a car headlight (the three-prong-recessed retainer). My problem is that I don't have the ability to machine anything. I have a vise, welder, and drill press, but no lathe or mill. I've gotta figure out how to make a retainer that can be welded to the backing plate without using a mill or lathe.

Comment

• hillcat
              • Mar 2015

They may have done it but it doesn't mean it works well or will last.
              You need a compatible reflector set-up for LED which is different from the incandescent one for it to work properly. It WILL help with other drivers seeing you.
              Second problem is heat generated and you will find out that for yourself. Not a very big heat sink, no mini-fan and no venting.
              Not saying it can't be done but...

Comment

• farmall
                • Apr 2013

If you have to have it then ask what he'd take to machine one for you.

There's no rush so why not do it right?

Comment

• Theonlychrisj
                  • Feb 2018

Agree. I just want to do it (the right way) myself for the edification.

Comment

• Theonlychrisj
                    • Feb 2018

Farmall, i asked Easyco yesterday what it'd cost, and while their hourly shop rate is fair, I cant justify spending the quoted price on a dam headlight. More incentive to figure it out myself.

Comment

• Tattooo
                      • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Theonlychrisj
                      Agree. I just want to do it (the right way) myself for the edification.
                      So it's ok to ask a question here but not ask the guy that actually did it????? I see, now I understand????????

Best of luck, I think you can do it.............

Comment

• farmall
                        • Apr 2013

You might cut the bulb holder out of a (preferably metal) headlight reflector or a section of that reflector including the bulb holder then epoxy it in place and hold with painters tape etc until cured. (Leave a blob of excess epoxy to cure on some scrap. When your blob is cured (you can abuse it to test) your work is cured. USAF structural guy taught me that one. Works for sealant too.)

It's like fixing fucked up farm equipment. If I can't produce a precise part in the field I can often bring one, modify to suit, then install the precise part.

BTW a good way to stop loose wires from shifting is a blob of RTV. Peels off for maintenance and damages nothing. Good for reinforcement.

Post a sketch of what you want the result to look like.

Comment

• Theonlychrisj
                          • Feb 2018

Thanks a lot Farmall, Epoxy is how I was leaning. Unfortunately, I've been looking for a few days, and haven't found any H4 retainers that are metal - they're all plastic. Below are the pics from EazyCo of the backing plate he fabd for the light they made.

Name:	A2940D4D-4E52-4886-B88E-048CF8D37C94.JPG
Size:	230.9 KB
ID:	1313378

Name:	E909A811-F8EC-405A-95D6-A4E3267660A4.JPG
Size:	234.1 KB
ID:	1313379

The wires coming from that photo are from the old light retainer - one of those push-and-twist ones like on old blinkers, which are removed on mine.
                          I'm thinking I should go ahead and make the plate (to make sure I can actually do it), then check clearances with whichever LED assembly I decide to use. Then I can modify the plate to accommodate the epoxied LED retainer.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                          Working...
                          ;