CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search
Page 3 of 4 First 1234 Last
  1. #41

    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    1,829

    Default

    I don't know if you are planning on reringing that cylinder, but in any event, check and adjust the location of the ring gaps before you put the cylinder back on.

    Jim

  2. #42
    Senior Member

    Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

    Get Adobe Flash player


    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    125

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JBinNC View Post
    I don't know if you are planning on reringing that cylinder, but in any event, check and adjust the location of the ring gaps before you put the cylinder back on.

    Jim
    Thanks Jim. I wasn't planning on reringing, but I'll defer to the experts on that decision. When you mention location of ring gaps, I assume you are talking about making sure the end gaps are 90 degrees from each other. I.e. what I found in the service manual?

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-12-05 at 9.24.43 AM.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	24.8 KB 
ID:	98829
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-12-05 at 9.24.59 AM.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	21.1 KB 
ID:	98830

    Speaking of, what the heck does "..gaps must not be w/in 10 degrees of the piston's thrust face.." mean? Any interpretation would be great. Thanks for the suggestion!

  3. #43
    Senior Member

    Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

    Get Adobe Flash player


    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    12,147

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PBRStreetgang View Post
    Speaking of, what the heck does "..gaps must not be w/in 10 degrees of the piston's thrust face.." mean? Any interpretation would be great. Thanks for the suggestion!

    Between the gap with the ring square in the cylinder without the piston............

  4. #44

    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    1,829

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PBRStreetgang View Post
    Thanks Jim. I wasn't planning on reringing, but I'll defer to the experts on that decision. When you mention location of ring gaps, I assume you are talking about making sure the end gaps are 90 degrees from each other. I.e. what I found in the service manual?

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-12-05 at 9.24.43 AM.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	24.8 KB 
ID:	98829
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-12-05 at 9.24.59 AM.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	21.1 KB 
ID:	98830

    Speaking of, what the heck does "..gaps must not be w/in 10 degrees of the piston's thrust face.." mean? Any interpretation would be great. Thanks for the suggestion!
    No need to rering if the rings aren't worn out. Just space the gaps 45 degrees from the wristpin around the piston so no two line up and you will be fine. The rings rotate in service (according to theory) so their exact location upon installation is not important, as long as the gaps are staggered.

    Jim

  5. #45
    Senior Member

    Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

    Get Adobe Flash player


    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    125

    Default

    Thanks for the info. I just got off the phone with Cometic. Nice people. The base and head gaskets have a U shaped valley all around the outer edge of the gasket. During installation I wanted to know if the valley should be facing up or down. Turns out, it doesn't matter which way it faces.

    I also learned two other things 1. when using the MLS cometic head gaskets you do NOT use the o-rings on the dowel pins and 2. do not put any oil on the gaskets before installation. Everything must be clean and dry.


  6. #46
    Senior Member

    Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

    Get Adobe Flash player


    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    12,147

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PBRStreetgang View Post
    Everything must be clean and dry.

    That's a no brain'er............... Where did you read/hear they needed to be oiled???????????

  7. #47
    Senior Member

    Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

    Get Adobe Flash player


    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    12,531

    Default

    Hahaha ...

    .../// https://youtu.be/V2f-MZ2HRHQ \\\...

  8. #48
    Senior Member

    Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

    Get Adobe Flash player


    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    125

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tattooo View Post
    That's a no brain'er............... Where did you read/hear they needed to be oiled???????????
    I guess I didn't, but I also was thinking about putting on an oil filter, how you lube up the rubber o-ring before you put it on. Oh well. Live and learn. I told you this was a first for me..

    Last edited by PBRStreetgang; 12-05-2019 at 7:24 PM.

  9. #49
    Senior Member

    Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

    Get Adobe Flash player


    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    9,254

  10. #50
    Senior Member

    Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

    Get Adobe Flash player


    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    12,147

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dragstews View Post
    Hahaha ...

    .../// https://youtu.be/V2f-MZ2HRHQ \\\...
    LOL Damn I wish you would just say what your thinking....... LOL

    Because I will never know if I have to click on a link to find out...................

  11. #51
    Senior Member

    Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

    Get Adobe Flash player


    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    12,147

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PBRStreetgang View Post
    Live and learn. I told you this was a first for me..
    LOl There is an old saying but I will pass........ Glad your learning as you go.......

  12. #52
    Senior Member

    Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

    Get Adobe Flash player


    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    12,531

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tattooo View Post
    LOL Damn I wish you would just say what your thinking....... LOL

    Because I will never know if I have to click on a link to find out...................


    Been there, done that ... Lol
    (Think it was a Alien abduction .. )
    Last edited by Dragstews; 12-05-2019 at 7:59 PM.

  13. #53
    Senior Member

    Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

    Get Adobe Flash player


    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    12,147

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dragstews View Post
    Been there, done that ... Lol
    (Think it was a Alien abduction .. )

    I guess you'll have that sometimes.............. LOL

  14. #54
    Senior Member

    Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

    Get Adobe Flash player


    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    125

    Default

    Ok, back to our regularly scheduled program, fellas.

    Everything is clean and ready for reassembly. Now the fun part, messing with a ring compressor. I got this one from HF for $10 as, in truth, I didn't really know any better regarding ring compressors. Turns out, this one is too big, or I should say, too tall. When it was wrapped around the rings and I tried to put the cylinder on the piston, I could get the cylinder past the rings, but I couldn't get the compressor out as it was too deep into the engine compartment. It was probably made with cars in mind, and works for that application, but not so much for my needs.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-0224.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	295.1 KB 
ID:	98871

    So now what? Well, with a little home-brew ingenuity, I came up with this little guy that worked like a charm. It's a 4" worm gear clamp and a piece of plastic that I cut out of deli tupperware. The worm gear clamp is the perfect size and the tupperware plastic does a nice job protecting the rings and piston as everything slides down. Piston slipped right in, no problem.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-0234.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	286.9 KB 
ID:	98872

    So this is where we are at now.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-0237.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	297.4 KB 
ID:	98873

    I assume the rest will go back together fairly quickly. If you have any hints at this point let me know. As per usual, thanks for looking.
    Last edited by PBRStreetgang; 12-08-2019 at 6:41 AM.

  15. #55
    Senior Member

    Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

    Get Adobe Flash player


    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    12,147

    Default

    ^^^^^^ Looks good...........^^^^^^^ What ever works is just fine....... Did you stagger the rings?????????

  16. #56
    Senior Member

    Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

    Get Adobe Flash player


    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    125

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tattooo View Post
    Did you stagger the rings?????????
    Yes.

  17. #57
    Senior Member

    Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

    Get Adobe Flash player


    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    12,147

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PBRStreetgang View Post
    Yes.
    Awesome............

  18. #58
    Senior Member

    Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

    Get Adobe Flash player


    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    125

    Default

    Ok, I'm sorting through the gaskets and I came upon a few bits that I'm not sure what they are for. I assume the copper and fiber washers might be for the upper rocker arm cover bolts? What are the tiny o-rings and blue doo-dads for? Something to do with the pushrods maybe? Thanks for the input!

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-0238.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	294.4 KB 
ID:	98875

  19. #59

    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    1,829

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PBRStreetgang View Post
    Ok, I'm sorting through the gaskets and I came upon a few bits that I'm not sure what they are for. I assume the copper and fiber washers might be for the upper rocker arm cover bolts? What are the tiny o-rings and blue doo-dads for? Something to do with the pushrods maybe? Thanks for the input!

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-0238.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	294.4 KB 
ID:	98875
    The washers are for the valve cover screws. The fiber ones are preferred, save the copper ones for something else.
    The orings are the tappet pin seals, you don't need them.
    The blue seals are valve stem seals, and good ones at that. If you have a valve spring compressor you can replace them on the head you are working on, otherwise, save for later.

    Jim

  20. #60
    Senior Member

    Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

    Get Adobe Flash player


    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    125

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JBinNC View Post
    The washers are for the valve cover screws. The fiber ones are preferred, save the copper ones for something else.
    The orings are the tappet pin seals, you don't need them.
    The blue seals are valve stem seals, and good ones at that. If you have a valve spring compressor you can replace them on the head you are working on, otherwise, save for later.

    Jim
    Jim, thanks so much for the information. You are a book of knowledge! Ok, I'll put all of this stuff back in a baggie and into the box with the other gaskets. Hopefully I can get to the cylinder head later today. Thank you again.

Share This



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in