CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search
Page 3 of 14 First 1234513 ... Last

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by JakeF View Post
    I'm not sure what that would entail, but assuming for a moment that I would need to have it bored out anyway and new pistons, what else would it take?
    You have to buy EVERYTHING....... It's a waste of money...... If you go down that road buy a repop Knuck motor....

Get Adobe Flash player

I see. Maybe down the line, but realistically that's just not in my budget for this time through it. My goal for this build is to keep it simple and only spend on what's essential to get this pile of parts put together and running. I need to achieve that first. Other things can be revisited in the future

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Tattooo View Post
    You have to buy EVERYTHING....... It's a waste of money...... If you go down that road buy a repop Knuck motor....
    Not really ^^

Here's why;

A repop motor is way up there in $$$ ..
    Let's add up what it would cost to stroke your EL to get it to 84 cubes, want too ??

Ok ... Here we go ...

1) The jugs ... Brand new $351.74
    2) Flywheels ... You would be needing to buy a set of FL wheels anyways no diff in price for a longer stroke...
    T&O gets $475 for a set .. S&S would be about the same ...
    3) Crank-pin ... Jim's $101.56 will also need the FL nuts being they are much bigger than the EL nuts $28.16 ... Can reuse your EL bearing cages and rods...
    4) FL pushrods these are made by Colony $55.83
    5) Intake manifold $133.57 ... Includes brass seals, nuts, screws, lock washers, and gasket..
    6) Pistons ... Stock FL stroke pistons are much less that stroker pistons..
    Cost for the S&S strokers is $493.95

All those parts comes to a total of $1,639.81
    Last edited by Dragstews; 10-03-2019 at 1:58 PM.

Get Adobe Flash player

I see. Maybe down the line, but realistically that's just not in my budget for this time through it. My goal for this build is to keep it simple and only spend on what's essential to get this pile of parts put together and running. I need to achieve that first. Other things can be revisited in the future
    Now your talking........ Like Joe Namath says........ You'd be happy you did I guaran tee..........

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Dragstews View Post
    Not really ^^

Here's why;

Let's add up what it would cost to stroke your EL to get it to 84 cubes, want too ??
    I think that we just had a thread about that....... That was a Shovel and this is a Knuck and that means it's even more expensive............Sorry
    Last edited by Tattooo; 10-03-2019 at 1:46 PM.

Get Adobe Flash player

Dont bother going to an FL,
    I have 3 knuckles on the road.
    EL are noted for being smooth running motors, My EL is so smooth on the highway, My motor guy loves EL motors and the wind up faster than the FL also.
    I love riding my EL, my MY FL is smooth also but that EL is smoother
    There is no need to waste cash have your lower end taken apart and rebuilt and balanced you will Love it.
    and it will last quite some time...............
    You want to go fast buy a KN93 knuckle they screw, I know I have one and I pick on twin cams, scary fast.
    If I owned that Bike, I would build it stock but thats me.....

You are perhaps wiser than your years.

Jim

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by JBinNC View Post
    You are perhaps wiser than your years.

Jim
    Haha! Being a single dad with 2 teenagers and a $2,300/month alimony bill keeps me in check for the most part.

Get Adobe Flash player

Haha! Being a single dad with 2 teenagers and a $2,300/month alimony bill keeps me in check for the most part.
    At least you take care of your kids......... That's awesome.......

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Tattooo View Post
    At least you take care of your kids......... That's awesome.......
    They helped me pull the heads and jugs last night. I should have taken some photos of my 15 year old daughter unscrewing head bolts, or my 13 year old boy swinging the rubber mallet to bust the jugs loose. I'll be damned if they don't get their hands dirty on this too!

Get Adobe Flash player

They helped me pull the heads and jugs last night. I should have taken some photos of my 15 year old daughter unscrewing head bolts, or my 13 year old boy swinging the rubber mallet to bust the jugs loose. I'll be damned if they don't get their hands dirty on this too!
    This is what it's all about!^^^^^

Good on ya man! Having my daughter help me with my 37U are my best memories of my bike so far. Watching her pound in the neck cups was something I'll never forget.

I'm glad your keeping it stock size. If you were starting with just cases like I did, build a stroker or whatever. With whatcha got, keep it as original as possible.

Gonna keep my eye on this one, I love Knucks! Looking like you have a good game plan as to what you want.

Jake

Get Adobe Flash player

Don't sweat what it looks like from the top. The ring land area is smaller in diameter than the skirt.

Cast Bonalite style pistons (the ones with the steel expansion strut inside) can be fit as tight as .0015 skirt clearance in a pan or shovel. With the iron heads on the knuckle, I would think .003 would be good. In any event, your .015 clearance, if correct, is WAY out of that range.

Jim
    I re-measured last night (still with my digital caliper, as that's the only tool I have for this at the moment). At the bottom of the skirt I'm measuring 3.4450", and at the bottom of the bore I'm measuring 3.4465". Previous measurements were from the top of the piston above the rings, and at the top of the bore, and not taken as carefully as I did last night. It's difficult to get accurate readings with this tool, so I'm not 100% sure even these readings are spot on.... I may take them to a shop this weekend to get them measured properly.

Get Adobe Flash player

I may take them to a shop this weekend to get them measured properly.

Now your talking, That way you will know for sure what the middle is.............

If your skirt clearance is reasonable, as discussed above, consider having a professional hone the cylinders with a good precision hone. That will help straighten the bore and improve the finish in preparation for new rings. You might be surprised at how much the bore can be improved with a precision hone, and only a few tenths (of a thousandth) removed. Forget the ball hones, they make the bore LOOK good and do break the glaze, but a precision hone will do that and so much more.

Jim

BTW, your pictures show that FL (74cu.in.) pistons are fitted. Take the time to measure the stroke. A steel rule will do for that. Your motor may already be upgraded to an FL.

Jim

Get Adobe Flash player

BTW, your pictures show that FL (74cu.in.) pistons are fitted. Take the time to measure the stroke. A steel rule will do for that. Your motor may already be upgraded to an FL.

Jim
    Wouldn't think so ...
    The fire ring at the top of the jug wouldn't be on there ..

Quote Originally Posted by Dragstews View Post
    Not really ^^

Here's why;

Ok ... Here we go ...

1) The jugs ... Brand new $351.74
    2) Flywheels ... You would be needing to buy a set of FL wheels anyways no diff in price for a longer stroke...
    T&O gets $475 for a set .. S&S would be about the same ...
    3) Crank-pin ... Jim's $101.56 will also need the FL nuts being they are much bigger than the EL nuts $28.16 ... Can reuse your EL bearing cages and rods...
    4) FL pushrods these are made by Colony $55.83
    5) Intake manifold $133.57 ... Includes brass seals, nuts, screws, lock washers, and gasket..
    6) Pistons ... Stock FL stroke pistons are much less that stroker pistons..
    Cost for the S&S strokers is $493.95

All those parts comes to a total of $1,639.81
    And you would end up with a motor made out of many, but not all repop junk and kill the value of the engine to a collector. If your cylinders are really that big, get with me and I may be able to help with lower bore OEM cylinders.

If your skirt clearance is reasonable, as discussed above, consider having a professional hone the cylinders with a good precision hone. That will help straighten the bore and improve the finish in preparation for new rings. You might be surprised at how much the bore can be improved with a precision hone, and only a few tenths (of a thousandth) removed. Forget the ball hones, they make the bore LOOK good and do break the glaze, but a precision hone will do that and so much more.

Jim
    Thank You!!

Get Adobe Flash player

Jim
    OK. I'll do that tonight. I'm pretty sure it's stock jugs bored out for the larger pistons but still with the stock stroke, but you're right I should double check that. The jugs do have the fire ring and these markings:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20191002_192509.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	307.5 KB 
ID:	97368
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20191002_192903.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	293.8 KB 
ID:	97369

Share This