CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default Car people are CRAZY

My neighbor stopped by a few weeks ago and asked for my help. He is not really tech savvy and wanted to know how to sell his old car on the internet. Turns out this is the first car he ever bought, a 1969 Camaro. Now it is the base, base model, six banger with a slush box, and the only real options bucket seats, a vinyl top, and a radio.

No problem I do a lot of buying and selling on eBay so I told him to write up the ad and I would post it for him. He retired from marketing so I knew it would be a good add. Now the car was $2,700 new in '69. He bought it when it was four years old and paid around $1,500 for it.

This thing does not have a single panel that is not rusted, it is an Ohio car that has seen way too much road salt. BUT it is 99.99% original, only the leaf springs and master cylinder have been changed. Interior is surprisingly nice, no rips, etc.

We put what I thought was a stupid high buy it now price on it and then sat back and watched as the bidding went over $2,500, over $5,000, and over $7,500, finally settling near $9,000. I know for a fact that a restoration is going to cost a minimum of $25,000 and when you are done you still have a six cylinder base model Camaro!

I thought we were nuts with these bikes but I'll say it again, car people are crazy.

Get Adobe Flash player

The car goes to a shop in Texas, gets a crate motor, 5 speed, suspension is bagged and then goes to auction where the seller churns it for 60K. It sits in a heated garage for years while the owner fights the cancer bubbles that keep popping up.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by DoomBuggy View Post
    I thought we were nuts with these bikes but I'll say it again, car people are crazy.
    Yep you don't know cars...... When I seen it was a 69 Camaro even with the rust I knew to would be close to 10K+...........What something sold for new has nothing to do with what it's worth now.....

By the way you can't get a car totally restored for 25K..... Unless your looking for an Ok job...

You think cars are high you should look at older trucks.....

What was your stupid high buy it now price?

Get Adobe Flash player

We set it at $10k thinking who is going to pay that much for a rust bucket.

He photographed the crap out of it, so that thee would be no surprise.

I've restored a couple of old cars, the last was 15 years ago, a '67 Grand Prix convertible, and ya the paint alone on that one was $20k, but it was a rare and highly optioned car which sold well at auction when I was done playing with it.

You are correct though I don't know the market anymore!

Fetch, you just described the buyer of my Grand Prix, he has a collection of every '67 convertible made in the US and needed mine for his collection. I had it at the big auction in Ft Lauderdale, two museums and three collectors went at it, that was a good day for me!

Get Adobe Flash player

Nice that it went to a good home. Sold a Torino Cobra to a kid in a local club ....actual the the father. On day three he wrapped it around a tree. Made me sick, the shop that towed it was just down the street, so I had to look at it's lifeless carcass for weeks. That was a bad day. Kid walk out with a few scratches and pops bought him a Mach I .

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Fetch View Post
    Nice that it went to a good home. Sold a Torino Cobra to a kid in a local club ....actual the the father. On day three he wrapped it around a tree. Made me sick, the shop that towed it was just down the street, so I had to look at it's lifeless carcass for weeks. That was a bad day. Kid walk out with a few scratches and pops bought him a Mach I .
    Holy shit, I would've hated that. I had a 67 Camaro back in 84. Pretty car, and cheap at the time. Old shit's fashionable now and expensive. I've seen a lot of old fisher body pony cars needing major bodywork. My buddy's daughter loves that stuff, but she wound up with a 2011 Camaro SS, probably a better bet for a youngster.

Get Adobe Flash player

Damn Fetch that would really suck

Get Adobe Flash player

Prices are insane. I've been looking for a early to mid 60's F100 to haul my bike parts and they start in the 5k range not running and 10k for shitty running shape. It was a farm truck and rides like a fuckin' brick. You gotta be kidding me. Hell, my brother has been looking at a 64-66 Thunderbird for a cruiser. Those used to be 5k all day for really good one owner shape. Now they're 5k for parts cars. GTFOH.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Sircharlesofsacto View Post
    Prices are insane. I've been looking for a early to mid 60's F100 to haul my bike parts and they start in the 5k range not running and 10k for shitty running shape.

LOL Hell you think Fords are high try buying a Chevy Truck from that era......... WOW..........

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Tattooo View Post
    LOL Hell you think Fords are high try buying a Chevy Truck from that era......... WOW..........
    Shit, look at the prices of new ones. I just picked up my forever truck, a Sierra SLT, and if it wasn't for my GM Family deal there is no way I could have afforded it!

Oh and the color......Root Beer!

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Tattooo View Post
    Tell me about it. Even the longbed C20s are stupid high.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Sircharlesofsacto View Post
    Tell me about it. Even the longbed C20s are stupid high.
    Yep, It's nothing to see one bring 20K.........

Share This