CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Posts
    12

    Default New Tank Question

    Been searching the forum a little but figured I'd ask for some updated opinions. Bought a new tank...I've seen some say you need to coat them and some say you don't. I plan to pressure test but unsure on coating the inside. What's your thought's and what are some good products if recommended?

  2. #2
    Senior Member

    Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

    Get Adobe Flash player


    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    11,139

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ChopRJim View Post
    Been searching the forum a little but figured I'd ask for some updated opinions. Bought a new tank...I've seen some say you need to coat them and some say you don't. I plan to pressure test but unsure on coating the inside. What's your thought's and what are some good products if recommended?
    Man there is info EVERYWHERE on here....... But to answer your question.......... Clean the hell out of it inside and outside pressure test it and if it doesn't leak paint it and your good to go...................

  3. #3
    Senior Member

    Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

    Get Adobe Flash player


    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    1,495

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tattooo View Post
    Man there is info EVERYWHERE on here....... But to answer your question.......... Clean the hell out of it inside and outside pressure test it and if it doesn't leak paint it and your good to go...................
    +1
    Dusty

  4. #4
    SamHain
    Guest

    Default

    Don’t do it.

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tattooo View Post
    Man there is info EVERYWHERE on here....... But to answer your question.......... Clean the hell out of it inside and outside pressure test it and if it doesn't leak paint it and your good to go...................

    +1 no issues doing it this way

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Posts
    12

    Default

    I'll skip the coating of the inside then... thanks for the info!

  7. #7
    Senior Member

    Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

    Get Adobe Flash player


    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    11,139

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ChopRJim View Post
    I'll skip the coating of the inside then... thanks for the info!
    Good thinking.........

  8. #8
    Senior Member

    Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

    Get Adobe Flash player


    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    487

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ChopRJim View Post
    I'll skip the coating of the inside then... thanks for the info!
    I've been running unlined with one since the beginning of the summer. No troubles, but I am also in a very dry climate. It's better if you can keep the tank full as much of the time as possible. Probably want at least one fuel filter and not a bad idea to have a look inside from time to time. Too many horror stories about liners gone wrong.

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    1,096

    Default

    With new import tanks, especially the shovel era two piece tanks that mount rigidly, I have a good welder go over all the tab welds, and the petcock bung, with a TIG torch. That will stress relieve the POS wire welded shit, and forestall any cracking around the welds. Pressure test, of course.
    Note that from the seventies, HD coated the inside of their tanks with what I believe was an epoxy paint to slow down the inevitable rust.
    You might consider the above before you lay on the expensive paint job.

    Jim

  10. #10
    Senior Member

    Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

    Get Adobe Flash player


    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    1,419

    Default

    The only tank liner I use is POR 15, but what the guys say above is sound, just don't leave the tanks stood around near empty .

  11. #11
    Senior Member

    Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

    Get Adobe Flash player


    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    11,139

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hoghead View Post
    The only tank liner I use is POR 15
    That's all that I will use also...........

  12. #12
    Senior Member

    Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

    Get Adobe Flash player


    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    8,555

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JBinNC View Post
    With new import tanks, especially the shovel era two piece tanks that mount rigidly, I have a good welder go over all the tab welds, and the petcock bung, with a TIG torch. That will stress relieve the POS wire welded shit, and forestall any cracking around the welds. Pressure test, of course.
    Note that from the seventies, HD coated the inside of their tanks with what I believe was an epoxy paint to slow down the inevitable rust.
    You might consider the above before you lay on the expensive paint job.

    Jim
    Good idea, and of course mount them to test fit before painting since the stamped parts may be very far from accurate. You can also stress relieve with a small OA torch tip and of course gas welding works very well on sheet metal. It's no accident OA welding is preferred by jewelers. You can match or beat TIG results without spending TIG money. (I enjoy both methods.) If you need to heat the inboard sheet metal to make forming it easier a torch is ideal.

Share This



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in