CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Default New Tank Question

Been searching the forum a little but figured I'd ask for some updated opinions. Bought a new tank...I've seen some say you need to coat them and some say you don't. I plan to pressure test but unsure on coating the inside. What's your thought's and what are some good products if recommended?

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by ChopRJim View Post
    Been searching the forum a little but figured I'd ask for some updated opinions. Bought a new tank...I've seen some say you need to coat them and some say you don't. I plan to pressure test but unsure on coating the inside. What's your thought's and what are some good products if recommended?
    Man there is info EVERYWHERE on here....... But to answer your question.......... Clean the hell out of it inside and outside pressure test it and if it doesn't leak paint it and your good to go...................

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Tattooo View Post
    Man there is info EVERYWHERE on here....... But to answer your question.......... Clean the hell out of it inside and outside pressure test it and if it doesn't leak paint it and your good to go...................
    +1
    Dusty

SamHain

Don’t do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tattooo View Post

+1 no issues doing it this way

I'll skip the coating of the inside then... thanks for the info!

Get Adobe Flash player

Good thinking.........

Get Adobe Flash player

I've been running unlined with one since the beginning of the summer. No troubles, but I am also in a very dry climate. It's better if you can keep the tank full as much of the time as possible. Probably want at least one fuel filter and not a bad idea to have a look inside from time to time. Too many horror stories about liners gone wrong.

With new import tanks, especially the shovel era two piece tanks that mount rigidly, I have a good welder go over all the tab welds, and the petcock bung, with a TIG torch. That will stress relieve the POS wire welded shit, and forestall any cracking around the welds. Pressure test, of course.
    Note that from the seventies, HD coated the inside of their tanks with what I believe was an epoxy paint to slow down the inevitable rust.
    You might consider the above before you lay on the expensive paint job.

Jim

Get Adobe Flash player

The only tank liner I use is POR 15, but what the guys say above is sound, just don't leave the tanks stood around near empty .

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Hoghead View Post
    The only tank liner I use is POR 15
    That's all that I will use also...........

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by JBinNC View Post
    With new import tanks, especially the shovel era two piece tanks that mount rigidly, I have a good welder go over all the tab welds, and the petcock bung, with a TIG torch. That will stress relieve the POS wire welded shit, and forestall any cracking around the welds. Pressure test, of course.
    Note that from the seventies, HD coated the inside of their tanks with what I believe was an epoxy paint to slow down the inevitable rust.
    You might consider the above before you lay on the expensive paint job.

Jim
    Good idea, and of course mount them to test fit before painting since the stamped parts may be very far from accurate. You can also stress relieve with a small OA torch tip and of course gas welding works very well on sheet metal. It's no accident OA welding is preferred by jewelers. You can match or beat TIG results without spending TIG money. (I enjoy both methods.) If you need to heat the inboard sheet metal to make forming it easier a torch is ideal.

Share This