Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • zipzip
    • Feb 2013

+2 over? Ride Quality

Really? How bad is the ride quality if you extend your front end two inches. Planning on installing some longer dampers. (1995 883xl)

Z
  • SamHain
    • Apr 2024

Insignificant. Maybe even better depending what you do in the rear

Comment

• zipzip
      • Feb 2013

currently it has 12.5 shocks but planning on putting a set of 13" or 13.5"

Comment

• farmall
        • Apr 2013

More rear travel is always good because the horrid rear Sportster frame geometry is what makes them ride harshly. I expect you'll be more comfortable.

Comment

• Tattooo
          • Sep 2012

Originally posted by zipzip
          Really? How bad is the ride quality if you extend your front end two inches. Planning on installing some longer dampers. (1995 883xl)

Z
          No difference at all............... Not even worth talking about...........

Comment

• zipzip
            • Feb 2013

Originally posted by Tattooo
            No difference at all............... Not even worth talking about...........

Comment

• garystaven88
              • Mar 2014

Insignificant.

Pros: Benefit of more ground clearance w/o negatively affecting geometry too much. Probably won't need to worry about brake hose and cable length either. Won't need to worry about a longer kickstand due to significant lean.

Cons: if it's aesthetics of the "poor man" chopper look you are seeking you will be very disappointed after the labor/cost. If this is a look you are seeking you need 4" over at a minimum.

Comment

• AlbertaFarmer
                • Sep 2013

Another vote for imperceptible.

Comment

• JBinNC
                  • Dec 2018

The bike will not "turn in" to a corner as easily, and depending on how hard you ride, you may or may not notice the difference. It's definitely noticeable on my Wide Glide (4 speed), and that is most definitely not a sophisticated chassis.

Jim

Comment

• brooklynbomber
                    • Sep 2011

Originally posted by zipzip

Z
                    Do yourself a favor and install some cartridge emulators that are tuned for your weight and riding style. I have put them on every single sportster and FXR I’ve owned, both the FXR and current sportster (same as yours) are +2” and it’s not the tube that makes a difference but moreso the damping quality and fork oil wt that you’ll notice a lot more. It improves braking as well as front end dive.

Comment

• Down
                      • Jan 2016

Originally posted by brooklynbomber
                      Do yourself a favor and install some cartridge emulators that are tuned for your weight and riding style. I have put them on every single sportster and FXR I’ve owned, both the FXR and current sportster (same as yours) are +2” and it’s not the tube that makes a difference but moreso the damping quality and fork oil wt that you’ll notice a lot more. It improves braking as well as front end dive.
                      I'll have to agree on this 110%. Did this to my Sporty and it really transforms the handling of the bike. I also got longer damper tubes to get a little extra travel.

Comment

• Skjoll
                        • Oct 2018

I'll have to chime in and downplay the importance of cartridge emulators on a street bike... especially a chopper. Cartridge emulators merely add compression damping, sometimes adjustable, to the standard rebound damping of conventional Sportster forks. It doesn't address the issue of adding long forks to stock rakes which is what really affects handling and from my experience the majority of street riders can't even dial in rebound damping on standard forks using different oil viscosities and modifying damping tubes much less feeling what cartridge emulators can do... a level of riding most street rats don't come near exploiting. IMO if you're considering installing longer fork tubes on a frame with a stock rake or just looking to improve the handling of your completely stock bike then opt for Progressive Suspension springs. Stock springs will fatigue with age, become shorter and cause the front end to sag and reduce the amount of travel. Just get decent progressively wound springs, add the appropriate fork oil viscosity and go scrape pegs like nobody's bidnis.
                        Last edited by Skjoll; 09-27-2019, 6:51 PM.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                        Working...
                        ;