CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Default Shovel top end oil..

After riding my shovelhead chopper after about 20-30 mins it like the oil pump is loosing prime? It stops getting oil to the top end and and starts chattering.. and sounds different from exhaust and idles up.. then I turn it off let it sit for a few minutes and start it up again and it quites down for roughly another 20-30 minutes sometimes longer sometimes shorter..

It is kick only and open primary.. I have taken the tappet screen out and cleaned it a couple times.. the first time it was bad so I thought I fixed it but not so much.. I have also taken the spring and relief ball from oil pump and let it fill up with oil.. also re adjusted timing, pushrods, and cleaned carb resently after issue began

Any ideas??

SamHain

Hydraulic lifters? How many miles on them?

How did you find out the top end isnít oiling?

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

What weight oil are you using, and do you know what kind of tappet you have?

Jim

I do have hydraulic tappets not sure what kind the look oem? Not sure how many miles. I checked them when I adjust pushrods twice now and seemed to be working properly when I stuck tiny Allen key in them to bleed them down.. I am running 60 weight vr1..

To figure out I wasn’t getting oil I pulled crossover line loose from rockers loose first and no oil came out then loosened the line to rear rocker box and still nothing but turned it off and then back on with rear still loose and had oil again

Could a tappet bleeding down cause this?

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Nkdillard View Post
    Could a tappet bleeding down cause this?
    No.

The causes would have to do with the pump not keeping up with demand when the oil is hot. The really bad news is that if no oil is getting to the top end, then no oil is getting to the rods either, since the top end gets served first. You need to stop riding this bike until you get this sorted.

Jim

Get Adobe Flash player

Sounds like the pump might have sheared a key ... ??

Get Adobe Flash player

You may have an air leak into the feed line from tank to pump, or the inside liner of the feed line could be collapsing. I have heard of trash in the oil tank blocking the feed fitting in the bottom of the oil tank, but that is usually completely random. I would start with the feed hose and replace it. This could be a long process of elimination to find your problem.

Jim

I just changed the oil and oil lines when all of this started although they were new they were fuel line and a buddy told me I should use power steering line it is tougher and won’t break down or collapse..

The engine has sat for 20 years and I just recently put it on a frame and got it all together and rode it over 1000 miles total before this started

Get Adobe Flash player

Time to pull the oil pump and inspect. Best to remove the pushrods and cam cover, and check for a sheared key on the pinion shaft (as Drag suggests) at the same time you pull the pump.

Jim

Sounds like a plan thanks Jim!

Get Adobe Flash player

Sounds like a plan thanks Jim!
    I'm in High Point if you need parts, gaskets, etc.

Jim

Oh awesome. You have a shop? And a phone number?

Get Adobe Flash player

Oh awesome. You have a shop? And a phone number?
    Yes & yes.

336-889-4047

Jim

Actually I realized I pulled the wrong plug on the oil pump and did not actually pull the one with the check ball should I do that first or do you still think something is going on with oil pump?

Get Adobe Flash player

Actually I realized I pulled the wrong plug on the oil pump and did not actually pull the one with the check ball should I do that first or do you still think something is going on with oil pump?
    If you are not getting oil under pressure at the rocker boxes all the time, take it apart.

Jim

Share This