Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • HogsRear
    • Sep 2015

K Model Fork Tube Diagram / Rebuild

Does anyone have an exploded view of the early K model 33.4mm fork tubes they could share? Looking to rebuild mine with a new v-twin seal kit but they are slightly different than some other later 33.4 tubes I have. Currently they are very soft and will bottom out even rolling over small bumps so I am trying to come up with a way to prevent that. Spacers under the springs to add stiffness? Any ideas welcome.
  • JBinNC
    • Dec 2018

Damper assembly is the same as for the early XL, and the '59 - '69 service manual has a good picture of the breakdown. It does not show the '52 - '53 fork seal. It sounds like you may need springs, or are missing a spring plug or spacer.

Jim

Comment

• Dragstews
      • Sep 2010

The only years the 33.4 forks had fork seals was 71 and 72 ... All others run gator boots ....

Might want to check with FRANK'S MAIN. & ENGINEERING, INC (847-869-6792)
      They offer diff. spring rates for how your setting up your bike to ride....
      Take my 45 and outrun em all ..

Comment

• JBinNC
        • Dec 2018

'52 and '53 used a seal in conjunction with the metal outer covers, as I said above. They are not like the '70s seals.

Jim

Comment

• Dragstews
          • Sep 2010

An Idea ....

....** 1952-70 INTERNAL CONVERSION **....

Send me your lower Sportster legs, we will update by drilling to accept later damper tube kit.
          New bushings can be added at the same time for an additional charge.

Damper kit with steel legs includes damper tubes with rings, screws, washers, lower stops, slider seal washers, and retaining rings for both sides.
          Fits:
          FX 1971-1972

Nice up-grade for 52-70 year model forks !!

Comment

• TriNortchopz
            • Dec 2017

Does anyone have an exploded view of the early K model 33.4mm fork tubes they could share?
            HARLEY K MODEL

1952-1956 K and KH

FORK GROUP
            Click image for larger version

Name:	DMH_0001-72-900x941.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	157.3 KB
ID:	1313162
            with part numbers for each year, 1952 - '56
            If buildin' old school choppers was easy, anyone could do it... ain't nobody said it's gonna be easy...

Comment

• HogsRear
              • Sep 2015

Thanks all! I had to order the tool to pull the spring retainer out so waiting on that and then I will take a look at the insides. I'm hoping they're just missing a spacer and I can make something work like that but worst-case I will look into new springs.

Comment

• HogsRear
                • Sep 2015

So I pulled the tubes apart and everything seemed to be in place. There was some oil (definitely not enough) but they weren't dry. My issue when they're on the bike is that it sags a good inch and a half under the weight of the bike alone so put a rider on and they bottom out really easily. Not surprising for a 50+ year old front end, I know. Should I try adding a spacer on the springs to add some stiffness or am I pretty much required to find new springs altogether at this point?

Comment

• JBinNC
                  • Dec 2018

By all means, if you don't have springs, add some spacer to preload what you do have. Trial & error. Old springs won't have the spring rate of new springs, but spacers will at least correct the ride height.

Jim

Comment

• Dragstews
                    • Sep 2010

VT No: 24-0822 .. $44.83
                    OEM No: 46052-52
                    This 33.4mm fork tube spring set features high tensile strength wire construction with squared and ground ends.
                    Fits:
                    K 1952-1956
                    XL 1957-1970

VT No: 24-0900 .. $56.98
                    OEM No: 46057-71
                    Fork spring set features high tensile strength wire construction with ground ends.
                    Fits:
                    FX 1971-1972
                    XL 1971-1972

Both set are in stock ...

Comment

• HogsRear
                      • Sep 2015

Thanks Jim & Drag, in my head these springs were going to cost more than $45 but I guess they don't! Ordered a set the other day that should be here today so going to give that a shot and hopefully will be all good.

Comment

• HogsRear
                        • Sep 2015

The springs that showed up in the mail ended up being about an inch and a half taller than the ones I pulled out, either someone cut the old ones down or they were just very tired from years of use. Put the new springs in, fresh fork oil and everything seems good. No bottoming out and a slightly smoother ride. Thanks all!

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                        Working...
                        ;