X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • CDeeZ
    • Oct 2019

61 Panhead charging issue

Guys, someone school me on this.

Have been riding around on my 61 FLH Panhead chopper and recently the motor died a few blocks from my house. Turned the headlight off and was able to start it and limp home. Being that the battery was a cheapo battery about 1.5 years old, I went to O'Reilly's and bought a new battery.

Was riding it tonight and on the short 40 minute ride home from the nearest city, lights became pretty much nonexistent on the last 1/2 of the journey home.

This is a chopper that a buddy and I built at my place, some of you may have seen it. It was his bike originally, now mine. One headlight, one LED taillight and obviously the two spark plugs are the only things requiring power in the system. It does have electronic ignition.

Forgive my ignorance, but my initial queries have made me think that I need to do one of 3 things. Polarize the generator, replace the generator, or replace the regulator.

Any advice on how to begin?
  • JBinNC
    • Dec 2018

6V system? 12V? Original generator? 65A generator? Chinese generator? Mechanical regulator? Electronic regulator?

You will have to elaborate. But in general, a generator in service will not lose its polarity. And to do a decent diagnosis, you need a good ammeter. Unlike an alternator system, you cannot do proper diagnostics with just a voltmeter.

Jim

Comment

• docmel
      • May 2015

I agree: I have seen so many people just change out parts trying to find the prob

Start with easy first: Take the battery to autozone, napa, pepboys or advance: Its free and they can tell you if its holding charge or not. If it does and its ok, you have narrowed down where it might be

While the battery is out check your main ground cable

For the future run a generator light or one of these (Which I run on my 60 Pan): https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07WXKPTS3...=dealscanpg-20

SUPER easy install and puts in place a connection for trickle charger as well. There are also version that mounts on your handlebars so you can see it when riding

I have one on my Pan, and stand alone house generator: Pics coming

out

Comment

• Dragstews
        • Sep 2010

If it has the og Gen it would be the Model 58 ..
        Still a 6-V gen but mounts up on the motor case with 5/16" bolts ..

6-V is kinda a by-gone era in this day and age ...

With Cycle-Ele's gens having a built in regulator would be a great up-grade for your scoot ..
        Last edited by Dragstews; 03-16-2022, 11:57 AM.
        Take my 45 and outrun em all ..

Comment

• Whoremonger
          • Jan 2014

The regulator of the charging system needs to be matched to the battery being used. I.e. small battery, low current regulator, big battery higher current regulator. Before you start replacing parts, you may want to follow Jims advice and get yourself a good meter. Then check your voltage output readings to get an idea of whats going on.

Comment

• Dragstews
            • Sep 2010

Speaking of batteries ....

I'm assuming that the scoot is running the old horse-shoe oil tank .. ??
            If so, here's a super nice product for keeping the stock look ..

Modern gel or Li-Ion batteries offer a significant advantage - they are leak-proof. Those who ever experienced spilled acid in their horseshoe oil tanks will highly appreciate this fact.

On the other hand, owners of classic bikes do like the looks of their original energy store and the corresponding cover and mounts. With a Bates BattBoy Battery Box you can have the best of both worlds, because what looks like a period type HM5 6V accumulator on the outside can house a safe, modern battery within.
            Just hook it with two eyelet wires to the terminals on the bottom of the lid and you are all set. Perfect for 6 to 12 volts electrical system conversions, too.

When using suitable Antigravity versions you even have some storage room left for a few small spare parts, safety vest, Cuban cigars, etc .... Ain´t this one heck of a cool solution for an old problem?

Comment

• DustyDave
              Super Moderator
              • Oct 2012

Originally posted by Dragstews
              Speaking of batteries ....

I'm assuming that the scoot is running the old horse-shoe oil tank .. ??
              If so, here's a super nice product for keeping the stock look ..

Modern gel or Li-Ion batteries offer a significant advantage - they are leak-proof. Those who ever experienced spilled acid in their horseshoe oil tanks will highly appreciate this fact.

On the other hand, owners of classic bikes do like the looks of their original energy store and the corresponding cover and mounts. With a Bates BattBoy Battery Box you can have the best of both worlds, because what looks like a period type HM5 6V accumulator on the outside can house a safe, modern battery within.
              Just hook it with two eyelet wires to the terminals on the bottom of the lid and you are all set. Perfect for 6 to 12 volts electrical system conversions, too.

When using suitable Antigravity versions you even have some storage room left for a few small spare parts, safety vest, Cuban cigars, etc .... Ain´t this one heck of a cool solution for an old problem?
              What's the part number?
              Dusty
              Driving that train, high on cocaine
              Casey Jones you better, watch your speed
              Trouble ahead, trouble behind
              And you know that notion just crossed my mind​

Comment

• Tater66
                • Mar 2019

I had the same issue with my 63 pan. First was replace harness. Next was battery and LED headlight bulb. Onto Genny brushes and bearings.
                I guess the Franks regulator took an intermittent dump so ultimate solution....

Spend the coin on a Cycle Electrics generator/regulator and be done. Like done for a long time kinda done. Had I done this early on in the process I would have saved a lot of time. Like the time I sat in a cop car in 103 degree Texas heat enjoying the AC while waiting 1.5 hours for tow truck. Have you ever had to make small talk with a public servant for that period of time ? Awkward.

Function-formed parts for custom choppers

Battery holder for horseshoe tanks
                Last edited by Tater66; 03-19-2022, 5:00 AM.

Comment

• Dragstews
                  • Sep 2010

Originally posted by DustyDave
                  What's the part number?
                  Dusty
                  Item № 11-600 ... $90.48

Shipped from Germany will be bout $30 ...

Comment

• CDeeZ
                    • Oct 2019

I knew I would have to provide more information, just wanted to get some of you guys on deck here before I called it last night.

I made a video showing my test of the generator. Will you guys check it out please?

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

JB, 12 volt system. The generator came with the boxes of parts we got when we built this thing several years ago. Can't seem to find any kind of brand or markings on it so I suspect it's a cheap offshore junker of a generator.

Docmel, that's cool man, I may have to get one of those.

Whoremonger, picked up another meter today from HF. Seems decent for what it is. My other meters only went up to 10 amps.

Dragstews, that battery box you shared is fantastic!!!!!! I'm going to plan on grabbing a couple of those in the future for both my horseshoe oil tank bikes.

Tater, Yep. Cycle Electric is kinda what I was already eyeballing before you guys even mentioned it. I have one of their stators on my sporty chopper.

Also using this service manual for it, 61 FLH: https://justpanhead.com/wp-content/u...ice-Manual.pdf

Does this look like the right generator to you guys: https://www.jpcycles.com/product/380...with-regulator

Mods, sorry I have posted several threads in the wrong section now and you've had to move them. Seems to me they both would be technical threads more than build threads which is why I thought they would go there. I'll try to get a better feel for it.

Comment

• CDeeZ
                      • Oct 2019

Figured out why it wasn't charging:

Comment

• JBinNC
                        • Dec 2018

You are lucky beyond measure. Loose parts in the cam chest could have caused a catastrophic amount of damage.

And, "generator not turning" should probably be on the list of reasons for no charging.

Jim

Comment

• CDeeZ
                          • Oct 2019

Absolutely Jim. I think the general shape of the cam chest on the Pan kind of "funneled" the stuff to the bottom. Still lucky though.

LOL! Generator not turning being a good reason for sure.

That round spacer thingy? Do you recognize that part? Am I right or wrong about that? As far as I can tell, like I said in the video, someone before us cut that gear down then threw that on to correct their mistake?

Comment

• JBinNC
                            • Dec 2018

There is supposed to be an oil slinger under the gear on the 2 brush generators. I can't tell from your video if that is in place or not. But that extra washer may be taking up that space if the slinger is missing.

Jim

Comment

• Dragstews
                              • Sep 2010

The gear should have a light press fit going on the armature shaft splines ..
                              If it's a loose fit the splines will take a whooping and fail ..
                              Aftermarket gears are a loose fit, Oem are a nice press fit ...

BTY ...

The baffle that's in the air/oil separation cavity is installed backwards ..
                              Cut out slots goes to the motor case ..
                              Last edited by Dragstews; 03-17-2022, 1:03 PM.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...
                              ;