Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 10scDust
    • Jan 2018

Originally posted by farmall
    That crossover greatly assists midrange torque. (It's a very old car trick.) Removing it turns the stock downpipes into engine-strangling drag pipes. Since you spent all that money on horsepower, I'd get what you paid for an find a stock crossover setup. A lot of stuff done for cosmetics is anti-functional.

Headers are nice too but they don't sound like a Harley and cost a lot more than a crossover someone removed to look cool. I collect those from my bros shop so I have a reserve.
    I did not know about robbing the engine of torque.
    A good while back, the old gal was complaining of the heat on her leg, so I removed it and closed it up.
    It seemed like it would be okay because of so many true separate duals I see people running, speaking Harley's I see.

Once I get through the carburetor, cleaning it, seeing what jets are in there, my rebuild kit is on the way, no plans to cut the spring now (on Jim's advice), and never did think about drilling anything, then trying to tune it, I will look into another set of pipes since I sabotaged some midrange.

Thanks for the knowledge tip, and Merry Christmas to y'all.
    Rusty

Comment

• farmall
      • Apr 2013

It seemed like it would be okay because of so many true separate duals I see people running, speaking Harley's I see.
      Most HD exhausts are chosen for looks and sound. You could wrap the crossover then install a heat shield for both appearance and keeping the leg off the wrap.

Comment

• pan620
        • Feb 2013

Originally posted by farmall
        Most HD exhausts are chosen for looks and sound. You could wrap the crossover then install a heat shield for both appearance and keeping the leg off the wrap.
        As is most things on a HD or any bike that has been modified! I tell people look at a High Performance car do you see separate pipes, or a collector type system for the exhaust, of course except nitro burners where there is no need for low RPM performance.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
        Working...
        ;