CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Default Overcharging issue?

In the past few months I've gone through 2 batteries, both which started venting acid through the sealed cap. Thought it might've been a vibration issue so I padded oil tank around the battery but still having the issue. Just went through 2 headlights within a week with a lot of riding and now I've parked the bike.
    I think it's overcharging so how should I check this to make sure?

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Fuego1340 View Post
    In the past few months I've gone through 2 batteries, both which started venting acid through the sealed cap. Thought it might've been a vibration issue so I padded oil tank around the battery but still having the issue. Just went through 2 headlights within a week with a lot of riding and now I've parked the bike.
    I think it's overcharging so how should I check this to make sure?
    Oh I don't know....... Do you want us to guess what kind of bike you have or will you be telling us sometime in the future????

You know I don't mind and I'm sure many on here don't mind telling you either....... But damn this guessing isn't easy............

Do you have a manual for your bike?????? Believe me it's in there......
    Last edited by Tattooo; 09-06-2019 at 11:44 AM.

If your bike is alternator equipped, it can be checked at the battery with a simple voltmeter. Max charge voltage for a 12V system is usually listed at 14.4V.

A generator system is a little more complicated to check, since a generator system can supply too much current at an acceptable voltage. Most generator systems for 12V are going to operate at a max voltage of 13.6V or thereabouts, but that depends on where the regulator is set.

That should give you a starting point.

Jim

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

There is a lot of good info on this site...

http://cycleelectricinc.com/Technical%20Documents.htm

Share This