21 inch VS 19 inch front wheel how noticable are the differences?

Collapse

Desktop Ad Forum Top

Collapse

Mobile ad top forum

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Twohungover
    • Nov 2018

21 inch VS 19 inch front wheel how noticable are the differences?

Havig a custom built bike means alot of research as well as trial and error. I may have overlooked the importance of picking the correct wheel size combo with my set up. I've got a strait leg rigid with stock 32deg rake, 4 over inverted progressive forks = 4.75 trail with the 19 inch front and 16 inch rear. Bike is stable rides nice but seems to quick in the sreering. Fallaway is correct as well. Should I have gone with a 21 inch and taken advantage of the gyro effect for a more sturdy slower turning bike? I don't want to blow unnecessary cash changing over if thr effects are minimal.
  • Tattooo
    • Sep 2012

I can't say there is much difference in handling between tire sizes........... Now width yep there is a difference....... To me that is............

Comment

• SamHain
      • Apr 2024

Tattoo could be right there I think it’s a huge difference. But I also use vastly different size tires on the two.

Comment

• SamHain
        • Apr 2024

If you want sturdier turning I’d say the four over and 21 are generally in the wrong direction, slower turning on the money though. Offset in your front end plays a big part too.

Comment

• JBinNC
          • Dec 2018

If your trail really is 4.75", the bike should be rock steady and not twitchy. I would experiment with tire pressure, and generally you will need less in front than in the rear. On some bikes that can make a big difference.

Jim

Comment

• Skjoll
            • Oct 2018

IMO wheel diameter is just one aspect of many that determines handling characteristics so to me when it comes to 19" vs 21" it's a decision based more on aesthetics than handling. You can try getting a wider and heavier 19" tire to slow things down a bit.

Comment

• Tattooo
              • Sep 2012

I guess been lucky,

I've never thought about or even cared about trail on any bike I have built........ All my bikes have rode and handled great.... But I've never built a fucked up geometry looking bike either.....

Comment

• farmall
                • Apr 2013

What handlebars are you running? They don't change steering geometry but because your arms are "steering linkage" their effect is similar to a pitman arm on a car. The greater the distance between hand grips and the steering head axis the more your hands must move for a given steering input. I run apes which countersteer fine (note turning a two-wheeler without countersteering is basically impossible but ease may vary) but aren't as quick as drag bars.

Comment

• Twohungover
                  • Nov 2018

Yea I am running drag bars with 1 inch risers.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                  Working...
                  ;