Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 72ScampTramp
    • Apr 2024

76 Ironhead front end

Totally new to bikes. Just bought my first builder. thought I didnt come with the front end as it was damaged. Im wondering what used front ends will work? Id like to put just a slight amount of rake in the front end maybe 4-6 degree. The bike was already hardtailed. Trying to keep to a budget so Im thinking good used is my avenue but unsure what all i need and which front ends will fit it.
  • Tattooo
    • Sep 2012

Originally posted by 72ScampTramp
    Totally new to bikes. Just bought my first builder. thought I didnt come with the front end as it was damaged. Im wondering what used front ends will work? Id like to put just a slight amount of rake in the front end maybe 4-6 degree. The bike was already hardtailed. Trying to keep to a budget so Im thinking good used is my avenue but unsure what all i need and which front ends will fit it.
    Can you post pics of your bike????? Are you saying you want to rake the frontend of just longer tubes??????

Comment

• farmall
      • Apr 2013

Details help us help you. Pics are required so we see what you have. Take pics of the damage and of both sides of the motorcycle.

BTW make sure you have clear title in your name. Not doing that is a very common noob error.

Comment

• JBinNC
        • Dec 2018

If you are working with the original '76 XL frame, be advised that the ball bearings used have races with a 15/16 ID. If you are planning to rake the frame, you would be ahead of the game to cut the existing steering head off, and add a big twin steering head. The dimensions for this are in a drawing on the wishbone frame thread posted here recently.
        That will allow you to use a wide variety of big twin and modern XL front ends, and make your life a whole lot easier.

Jim

Comment

• 72ScampTramp
          • Apr 2024

this was the bike before it was damaged. What I dont like is how close the front tire is to the frame. Id like to move it out just a bit without jacking up the front end. basically im looking to make the bike look just a little longer. Im a 300lb guy I dont want the bike looking tiny under me so since its been hardtailed im looking to move that front tire out
          Attached Files

Comment

• Tattooo
            • Sep 2012

Im a 300lb guy I dont want the bike looking tiny under me so since its been hardtailed im looking to move that front tire out

That's gonna be a little hard to do on a Sporty but it's worth a shot.............

Comment

• Tattooo
              • Sep 2012

That pic is pretty much useless as small as it is............

Post a pic not something with all of that clutter around it.............

Comment

• confab
                • May 2019

I'm a noob too and I've been looking at this very thing, lately.

You'll want to read this:

And I found extended tubes for my forks on Ebay and the prices weren't bad at all.

The service & parts manual helps a lot. You can find them in PDF format on the Carl Salter website.

Comment

• Tattooo
                  • Sep 2012

^^^^^^^^^^^ Now your talking........ ^^^^^^^^^^

Comment

• 72ScampTramp
                    • Apr 2024

Originally posted by Tattooo
                    ^^^^^^^^^^^ Now your talking........ ^^^^^^^^^^

The bike is in pieces was before I got it. I have no other picturesClick image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190904-184342_Facebook.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	320.9 KB
ID:	1312946

Comment

• Tattooo
                      • Sep 2012

The bike is in pieces was before I got it. I have no other pictures

So you can't walk over and take pics of it now?????? Is it somewhere else???

Comment

• TriNortchopz
                        • Dec 2017

I
                        d like to put just a slight amount of rake in the front end maybe 4-6 degree.
                        As Jim mentioned, improved options for BT frontends; here is a budget way to get that on your XL(but no change in rake):

Old-Stf Cycle Ironhead Sportster Neck Cup Conversion 7/8 inch to 1 inch, $115.
                        New neck cup set to convert 1952 - 1981 Harley-Davidson Sportsters to fit a wide variety of big twin and aftermarket front ends
                        Specializing in custom motorcycle parts and accessories for Chopper and Bobber motorcycles. Aftermarket parts for Harley Davidson Sportster, Triumph Bonneville, Yamaha XS 650 and many more. FREE SHIPPING ON ALL US ORDERS OVER $99!

Here are a set of raked bearing cups(but for Sportster frontend):

Fork Cup Set, 3 Degree Rake, 1957-1978 Harley XL Sportster, $112
                        Click image for larger version

Name:	3degreerakedforkcups.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	2.4 KB
ID:	1312948

Although you don't want to 'jack up the front end', another option is to cut and stretch the front rails and bend up the upper frame rail (backbone) to get the 6 degree rake you want, kinda like Dusty did with his Indian frame here:
                        Thread: Proper way to rake older Harleys?
                        Was studying Rourke's "Black Death III" Rake is just a design element so cool it can't be left out. Been looking at videos. Found plenty for Jap and other bikes with sheet metal necks. (Like FXR's) Nothing for the older bikes. Studied the "Chopper Builder's Handbook" a little. I get the geometry/Rake
                        If buildin' old school choppers was easy, anyone could do it... ain't nobody said it's gonna be easy...

Comment

• KevinN
                          • May 2014

I changed my fork tubes to 35mm dual disc front end from a big twin. They use 10" rotors. I used my 1974 trees and stayed with the 7/8 stem. HD still sells the ball bearings. If you want more rake then raking a sportster frame from that era is a job for a competent fabricator.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                          Working...
                          ;