CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Default Intro/ Bike discussion

Hey all. Fairly new to the site. Wanted to say hello and post up the project I just traded for.

Its a hardtail frame with "Chopper shop" label, Im assuming aftermarket frame, although it has a VIN on the neck?
    1977 Shovelhead motor with 5 speed transmission. Its electronic start only. Still running points. Im guessing early 90's softail front end with the speedo on the axle?

I still have a list of things I wanna do to it to make it mine, will detail the slow progress here.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	69478710_933753316957635_5500597979293155328_n.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	63.3 KB 
ID:	96729

Name:	69577809_1151787648349004_6849783022422589440_n.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	306.0 KB 
ID:	96730

Name:	69465375_231431024443863_2037696591627812864_n.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	64.0 KB 
ID:	96731

Name:	69471514_2207644846177286_2828690500804935680_n.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	309.1 KB 
ID:	96732
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 69375992-535442537197511-1738697504104382464-n.jpg  
    Last edited by dnmccoy; 09-03-2019 at 1:13 PM.

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Nice ride, welcome to the site

So I have a question about the fuel tank,it looks to be a 90's-early 00's sportster tank with the petcock on the left side about halfway down the tank. Is there a pickup tube or anything to collect the fuel from the bottom of the tank, or is it only utilizing the fuel from the petcock forward? If thats the case I think I may either relocate the petcock or just swap tanks for something more fuel efficient

Any fuel below the level of the petcock bung will remain in the tank and not have a way of exiting. That's why frisco style tanks have the bung relocated to the lowest point. Alternatively you can fabricate a bung insert with a feed tube that extends to the lowest point and incorporate an external low pressure electric or vacuum operated fuel pump to pull the fuel up and out.

Thanks, I think Im going to just switch out to a frisco mount tank.

Quote Originally Posted by dnmccoy View Post
    Thanks, I think Im going to just switch out to a frisco mount tank.
    LOL, smart man.

Quote Originally Posted by Skjoll View Post
    LOL, smart man.
    Yeah I never mind to put in some work but the alternative sounds more than what its worth

Get Adobe Flash player

Nice bike welcome to the site now grab those goofy ass light show spark plug cables and throw them into the nearest open cesspool. That should keep them out of the hands of all but the most desperate person who has to have look at me look at me lame ass shit on their bike.

Your most humble BBQBIKER sends

Get Adobe Flash player

That reminds me of a story ...

Had a buddy that wanted to chop his 81 Low-Rider, super clean bike and was as stock as they come .
    I ask him, "What are you wanting to chop, add some ape's, tall sissy bar, what do you mean chop?"
    He said he wanted to put it in a hardtail frame with just a kick starter ...

Told him that was to nice of a bike to take apart and rebuild into an "Old School Scoot"

But he wasn't going to listen to what I had to say and I took in the scoot to chop it out..
    Used the motor, tranny, forks, wheels & brakes, all other parts was changed out, turned out to be a sweet looking chop ...

Stanley wasn't playing with a full deck of cards, he did two tours in Nam and came back with a monkey on his back ....
    .../// https://youtu.be/OLVWEYUqGew \\\...

As we was building it he said to install some sparkie's on the plug wires ..
    Well Sir ... Stanley rode the bike for about six or seven months, loving every second...
    Got a call from him at 1:00 o'clock in the morning saying come and get me .. !!!
    I ask him "What's up" I wasn't ready for this..!! ... He said he ran off the road and the bike was down in a ravine, bring ropes to pull it back onto the road...

Alright, I'm on my way to lend a hand ... After about two hours we got it back on the road ... Didn't do a lot of damage, few dents, paint was toast ...

I had to ask Stanley how this happen ... ??
    He said that he got to watching the light show that the plug wires was doing and didn't keep an eye on the road !!! .....

Ok, alright .... Those had to go .... !!!!
    Last edited by Dragstews; 09-10-2019 at 5:05 PM.

Get Adobe Flash player

It's aftermarket (note the fabricated neck) but the Chopper Shop evidently did the paperwork to issue MSOs for complete motorcycles hence the tag in their name and not a special construction.

Being paranoid about backups I would save clear pics of the tag and VIN for future reference. On any bike I immediately get a personal printed copy of the title because DMVs lose shit now and then. That saved my ass on a Rocket 3.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Bbqbiker View Post
    Nice bike welcome to the site now grab those goofy ass light show spark plug cables and throw them into the nearest open cesspool. That should keep them out of the hands of all but the most desperate person who has to have look at me look at me lame ass shit on their bike.

Your most humble BBQBIKER sends
    Damn it Q am I rubbing off on you??? Way to go...........

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Tattooo View Post
    Damn it Q am I rubbing off on you??? Way to go...........
    You betcha!

https://youtu.be/KUXb7do9C-w

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by farmall View Post
    It's aftermarket (note the fabricated neck) but the Chopper Shop evidently did the paperwork to issue MSOs for complete motorcycles hence the tag in their name and not a special construction.

Being paranoid about backups I would save clear pics of the tag and VIN for future reference. On any bike I immediately get a personal printed copy of the title because DMVs lose shit now and then. That saved my ass on a Rocket 3.
    Farmall always with good solid advice and nary a deviant comment either? Are you feeling OK?

As of right now, My plan is to:

-Add the frisco mounted tank
    -Add a springer front end
    -Replace the seat and mount, its all kind of jenky
    -Replace points with electronic ignition, also replace the spark plug wires
    - Looking at a drag bar setup, just need something with a little more pullback, Im not a tall dude

Thats it for now. Ive already put 500 miles or so on it since getting it a few weeks ago.

Get Adobe Flash player

Drag bars don't have very good ergonomics and a motorcycle should fit like a (good) glove. Don't commit to money when trying bars if you can avoid it. Whatever looks interesting that's cheap (swap meet, junk pile etc) is good to try then go for something like stainless (chrome is trash, nothing but stainless for me when buying new) when you know what you want.

Drag bars plus bent risers can give useful pullback. Unless the SOA look is vital (I don't do Sons of Assbanditry but some dig it) you can get more comfort and pullback with ape/chimp hangers and stock or better, welded risers (either integral or separate) than drag bars because apes have a more ergonomic grip angle. I tack welded my stainless apes to the bottom inboard side of my stainless Biltwell risers so I could set my pullback, remove the riser bolts, tack weld and reinstall. The tacks will shear in a crash but prevent bar movement. I insist on being able to push my bikes using the handlebars with no bar shift.

Everyone is different. Choose bars for how they feel and handle and you'll be happy. Compromise and you won't.

Get Adobe Flash player

Rigid frame, forward controls & drag bars. A recipe for an uncomfortable ride. When ya hit a bump there’s no leverage to brace for impact...just my 2cents.

Tattoo laughs at em but we Yankees like footboards on our chops....good stable seating to handle bumps and if your not 6’8” plenty of they’re fine.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Bbqbiker View Post
    Tattoo laughs at em but we Yankees like footboards on our chops....

Yep, But I will agree they do ride good but they just look wrong on a chop............ So it depends on what your looking for??????

I had buckhorn bars with 6 inch risers on a panhead many years ago that were the most comfortable bars I ever had on a bike. Any bars are ok if you only ride from home to a local bar but if you like to get out and ride all day the right handlebars really make a difference.

Im not looking for SOA type 10 inch riser and drag bars, I just need something a little more ergonomincal for my barely 5'7" frame.The buckhorn type bars would definitely be an improvement over the current ones with the more pullback.

I definitely like the idea Farmall was getting at at being able to really push it with the bars

Share This