CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default Evo FLH builds (post pics)

Well...just finished a rigid sportster build that I thought id keep but im already itching for another project and with our newborn freshly here my wife will be ready to get on the back of something soon after a long hiatus. Anyhow, reasons don't matter, most of y'all get it, the bug. So.... There's a '87 FLH on craigslist with high miles i figure I could try and score cheap if i can sell the sporty.

I have some ideas but im curious to see some builds using this frame (not rigid). Kinda digging the not so 18/21 wheels thing for a while and playing with the wide and slim dimensions. Also I haven't studied the frame im curious what are the weird parts that are hard to make look cool etc. Main differences , pros and cons of this model vs a dyna frame or something.

Get Adobe Flash player

The '87 that inspired me!

00-Y0-Y-91z-WIGa-Y1-UO-1200x900

Get Adobe Flash player

There are a lot of pics in the what you started and ended with thread here on CC if your interested in looking through a hundred or so pages......

That would be a good start, much better than a Dyna......

Get Adobe Flash player

If goal is riding two up then chopping a bagger is questionable because you get the same effect as a Dyna with an uglier rear frame section. Baggers evolved for two-up riding. The rest are just cruisers where passengers are afterthoughts. Bags are very handy when traveling and those seats work well. Cruiser seats exist for looks.

What do you really want the result to DO? Projects should have a goal to focus them.

If I wanted a bagger and had that to work with I'd convert to mid controls because I loathe footboards. The stock exhaust would go away for a 2-into-1 because fuck extra weight and maintenance obstacles or I'd slice off the useless left pipe then patch the hole in the rear downpipe and gut the muffler. It would get a cam and either rejet plus an Andrews pump cover with check ball (out of production) or better, a CV off later models and a Ram Jett solid intake (look for the E stamped parts on Ebay) because fuck compliance fittings (rubber boots crack) or leaky seals. My stock displacement 1988 FXR engine (same drivetrain) went over 100K before I did the top end and that wasn't strictly necessary.

Without cam/carb swap they are SLOW because they are heavy. Comfy, but slow as in you'd miss the Sporty.

65K miles is only middle-aged but when you do the cam I'd do the lifters to start fresh. Don't forget to inspect the tappet filter screen. 3500 asking price should turn into ~2800 after it sits a while. Cash talks and bagger owners are like RV owners, they want new. Early starter is OK for stock displacement/compression. I'd replace the stock belt due to age and mileage. Check the rubber engine mounts for decay etc. Inspect the wiring because bagger owners tend to fuck that up when accessorizing.

Since that drivetrain is the same as contemporary FXRs you could drop it into a stock or aftermarket frame for sportier handling later on.
    Last edited by farmall; 09-02-2019 at 1:57 PM.

Get Adobe Flash player

All good advice farmall. Thanks. I see u found the ad!
    To be clear I am not wanting to hardtail it. Looking to cut weight and bullshit where possible and make it minimal but comfy and cool with a nice smooth ride for longer trips, but also tuff and neat for around town.

$2800 would be a nice grab. Anyhow, hope I can sell the sporty and grab it if it's still available by then. Gotta make it thru the storm first.
    Last edited by BlackCloudSalvage; 09-02-2019 at 3:38 PM.

Get Adobe Flash player

Unlike Farmall I like footboards. I'm old and its all about comfort for me. I'm rebuilding a Road King that was left for dead in a horse stall for ten years. I just adapted a late model 18" ABS sealed bearing front wheel to the mid '90's forks. Took a little machine work but I get a tubeless tire wheel with sealed bearings. I will eventually go with 2 into 1 exhaust as they are my favorites for these kind of bikes. Right now I have these old Sampson pipes mounted I had around. BBQ biker has a cool bagger. I started with a mess, finishing up total re-wire now. Bring on the hate chopper jockey's.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190829_154004103_HDR.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	319.0 KB 
ID:	96700Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190803_010618047.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	318.4 KB 
ID:	96701Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20180507_120634941.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	322.7 KB 
ID:	96702
    Last edited by KevinN; 09-02-2019 at 4:14 PM.

Get Adobe Flash player

Thanks Kevin here’s some of the details of my hot rod bagger

It’s like a Mr. potato head I have four different seats 2 fairings a sissy bar a luggage rack and a tourpak so I can configure it for any situation

Had an Evo motor a stretched gas tank and thunder header when I got it. I sold the stretched tank and got an NOS original tank for it put in a modded 124 motor and a loud as fuck RB Racing 2:1 straight pipe. Put on Wilwood brakes floating rotors and progressive suspension, Black Betty goes like fuck stops well and is comfortable. Bike is obnoxiously loud and leaves everything in the dust.

It can be a naked bike

Or add windshield if I’m going to go fast and far

Camping through Vermont

Loaded up for 2000 mile ride through Nova Scotia

Key West

Brand new S&S V124....Warranty to be voided shortly

Somewhere in Vermont 2up with backrest

Nice side view somewhere in Vermont

Lake George upstate New York

Time for more power

Headwork carburetor boring and modification and cam supplied by Hillside in Munsville New York. Going to step on this 124 a little bit raise the compression to 11.3:1 bump the torque to 152 pounds at 3750 rpm’s and 130hp. Torque
    Monster!

After a four month wait the pipe finally came in
    RB Racing pro stock 2:1 with black ceramic coat and heat shields. No baffle!

Goin somewhere 2up

Saddlemen tour seat

Solo seat & Batwing

Complete tour mode

January ride in Mass....was clear but cold

Some crazy lady’s going for a walk took my picture

Naked bike in the shop

After a yearly detail

Been riding Black Betty in this configuration for about five years now

Just did 6000 mile round-trip from Wyoming to Massachusetts and back. No issues whatsoever this bike is super reliable

Somewhere in Iowa

Hope this helps with whatever direction you take your FLH in
    Last edited by Bbqbiker; 09-05-2019 at 6:44 PM.

Get Adobe Flash player

^^^^^^^^^^ I will say one thing for your Q......^^^^^^^^^^^ You do ride your bikes..........

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Tattooo View Post
    ^^^^^^^^^^ I will say one thing for your Q......^^^^^^^^^^^ You do ride your bikes..........
    Thanks tattoo I do get around

By the way I see you’re getting a little weather I will generously offer to keep your knucklehead your Panhead and your FX in safe dry storage up here in Massachusetts sound good?

Get Adobe Flash player

Sorry that's not a deal. I get the itch, but WAIT.....search FLH or FL (even in auto parts) on FB--here's the shit that comes up:

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...3741127906150/

Check swap meets/garage sales/estate sales--the best deal I ever got was from the lady working at the donut shop. Her son sold me his cherry sportster for $1200, it had 4k miles.

BTW I'd classify that as an FLT--"tour glide" or a late FLH. If you want that frame get something later for the same price. I've never seen a cool tour glide frame other than the lowrider style. And that's not functional.

If you want something cool for two-up I'd try my damndest to find something pre-70 or at least with a buddy seat and leave it STOCK (as in original aircleaner/tires) and try to get it for about $4k--just wait deals do come around. You'll never lose money reselling it, although times are changing and prices are going down.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Bbqbiker View Post
    Thanks tattoo I do get around

By the way I see you’re getting a little weather I will generously offer to keep your knucklehead your Panhead and your FX in safe dry storage up here in Massachusetts sound good?
    No thanks they are cool and dry....... We didn't get a drop of rain......... We really need some rain.........

Get Adobe Flash player

BBQ does your batwing clip on to original road king windshield mounts? Like your engine combo. When its time for more power on the one I'm restoring I will buy one of those mid life crisis choppers like a big dog or Am Iron horse and rob the drive train , sell the roller.

Share This