Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BikerInBlack
    • Apr 2019

Larger tanks on choppers (xvs650)

So I know that classically (and almost stereotypically) a chopper has a skinny/peanut tank. However I’ve been looking at building a xvs 650 dragstar (V-star for the Americans) and I don’t know whether to do a tank swap or keep the original tank as I like the style of the skinny tanks but I also like to do a lot of miles so stopping for petrol (gas) every couple of miles. It’d be great for some advice. Thanks all 🤘🏻
  • dowood1
    • May 2019

Yeah gone through the same dilemma myself in the UK . Was tempted by the larger sporty tank appx 2.8 gals I think then loose the arch ! Should be 3 gals . Decided on a 2.2 gal tank which if I loose the arch again and fit a an extension that drops down between the rails 1 1/2” I can get 3 gals for that . Which is only half a gal less than the drag star , Or my third option is to use the sporty tank as the electrics box , then put a petrol tank ( appx 3 - 3.5 gals ? ) under the seat once I’ve hard tailed it .
    None of these options is overly cheap tho , lol

But I gotta agree with you the skinny tank looks far better , although there’s no written rules on tank size .
    It’s your bike do it the way , that seems right to you !
    Last edited by dowood1; 08-24-2019, 4:56 PM.

Comment

• Sky
      • Aug 2009

Hidden (or not) auxiliary tanks might be an option.
      Fuel bottles are a good idea on road trips, I fill mine with non ethenol

Comment

• PeanutHead
        • Nov 2011

I have a harley 5gal split tank that I'm putting on a kz440. Yes, its looking goofy as hell.

Comment

• datadavid
          • Oct 2014

Chops are so damn uncomfortable its good to stretch the spine every other gas station or so

Comment

• farmall
            • Apr 2013

Are you financially restricted to one machine? If so I'd lean towards function over how it looks when you aren't riding it.

If you don't hate saddlebags you could fab one or two fuel tanks with effective mounts then cover them with leather bags for appearance. Outboard motor fuel line QDs and 12-volt automobile pumps are inexpensive.

The purpose of small tanks is to look good when viewed from the side. A king style Sporty tank will get you more fuel if the width isn't a problem.

Comment

• Skjoll
              • Oct 2018

Because of the actual physical size and length of the XVS650 (wheelbase is ~4" longer than a stock Sportster) I don't think there's anything odd looking about the stock tank for an XVS650 chop and it has a usable capacity. I also like the tank mounted speedo/odo which keeps the bars clean and uncluttered looking. But then I tend to go with practicality and functionality over traditional chopper aesthetics when it comes to a 'chopper' that I intend to ride regularly and do long distances on.
              Last edited by Skjoll; 08-26-2019, 8:28 AM.

Comment

• BikerInBlack
                • Apr 2019

@dowood1 yeah, I've only actually picked up the bike today and seeing the tank i like its size and i think that I'll take your advice and just build what looks good for me and changes it down the line if i want to. being in the UK where do you find aftermarket parts? I've been looking everywhere and can't seem to find any parts for the 1997 bikes it seems that they only entered America in 1998 and so finding 1997 parts is a struggle unless they're all the same.

Comment

• dowood1
                  • May 2019

BikerInBlack
                  .i haven’t had to buy much in the way of standard parts yet . But I’ve used Wemoto , M&P , cable Tec , cycle haven and e bay . For the parts I’ve needed . I think the first thing to do is to make some enquiries to see if there are any differences between 97 and the rest of the years to establish what you can use .
                  There is also a v, star owners website , but they’ don’t seem to be very keen on customs there , so I don’t bother with it .
                  A couple more ideas re the tank I removed the speedo on mine and filled the hole , or you could get it welded up to increase the capacity more . The other possibility is to dish in the the two sides of the tank , twill loose you capacity but looks nice , and seems to be quite popular at the mo.
                  Maybe even combine both to help balance out the the fuel capacity , again not cheap I’m afraid . I liked the speedo in the tank , but found it took my eyes off the road to long and spooked my self a couple of times , but I do like higher bars or maybe it was just me , lol
                  Might be worth checking out “ 650 cc&d “ on the web for info on potential mods .
                  Last edited by dowood1; 08-27-2019, 1:35 AM.

Comment

• Skjoll
                    • Oct 2018

Originally posted by BikerInBlack
                    ... I've been looking everywhere and can't seem to find any parts for the 1997 bikes it seems that they only entered America in 1998 and so finding 1997 parts is a struggle unless they're all the same.
                    For all intents and purposes your '97 is the same as a '98 or even my 2001 with the only differences being stylistic changes between Custom and Classic models or those sold in California.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                    Working...
                    ;