Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • specialseventynine
    • Aug 2009

CV carb fuel inlet removal

Got a shitty cracked, leaky, plastic fuel inlet on a CV carb? Here's a relatively easy way to pull it out nice and clean without damaging the carb body.

1) Pull the rest of the plastic inlet off with a set of pliers to expose the brass pressed in core.

Cv carb fuel inlet removal

2) Use a 1/4-20 tap to thread the hole in the brass part of the fuel inlet core. Because you could get some brass bits in the carb from doing this, it's a good idea to disassemble the lower float bowl to check and clean out if necessary.

3) I make a simple puller out of a 1/4-20 bolt, 1/4-20 nut, a 1/4" washer, and some aluminum solid round that ends up with an inner diameter that will just slip over the brass fuel inlet core but have enough shelf so that it sits square on the carb body lip where the fuel inlet is pressed into.

4) Thread in bolt into brass inlet core. While holding the bolt head with the appropriate tool, use a wrench to tighten the nut down onto the washer/aluminum puller tube. Continue until the brass fuel inlet core pulls out. And that's that.

• 1954bmw
    • Mar 2015

Ok, now what do you do to fix it???

Comment

• Hoghead
      • Jun 2015

Buy the nice aftermarket brass ones from a catalogue and install

Comment

• BadMonkeyMW
        • Jul 2010

Originally posted by Hoghead
        Buy the nice aftermarket brass ones from a catalogue and install
        Exactly. H-D makes the brass ones too, only about $10.

Comment

• Tattooo
          • Sep 2012

You can also buy a brass threaded 90 at an auto parts store, then tap the hole then it's fixed forever.......

Comment

• Dragstews
            • Sep 2010

Same gig as your puller but a bit diff. design ....

It does the pulling and pressing the new inlet back into the carb body.

Mike Hamburg
            Burg's Tools
            847-772-2283
            [email protected]

Also a Press In 360* replacement inlet is available ..

Last edited by Dragstews; 08-23-2019, 11:03 AM.
            Take my 45 and outrun em all ..

Comment

• 69Glide
              • Jun 2016

The diameter of the flange in the casting is about 0.49" and the tap drill for a 1/8 NPT threaded fitting (smallest common NPT threaded fitting) is an "R" drill. The diameter of the drill is 0.339". after you drill and tap for the tapered fitting you are left with almost no wall material in the flange. The thread diameter of the tapered fitting is about 0.41 at it's largest - and when you install the tapered (i.e. a wedge) fitting you will be very lucky if the carb body does not crack.

Something to consider when you decide how to approach this problem.
              Last edited by 69Glide; 08-23-2019, 8:14 PM.

Comment

• Tattooo
                • Sep 2012

Originally posted by 69Glide
                If you decide to drill and tap you should be very careful.

Why wouldn't you want to careful?

Comment

• farmall
                  • Apr 2013

Sometimes there's more extra metal on a part than others so pointing out what us old fucks take for granted is useful. I tap them out of convenience (I always have NPT taps) but if i did it commercially it's faster to press in an aftermarket fitting and leaves no chips, plus the customer can't crank down on a taper and break the body.

Comment

• Tattooo
                    • Sep 2012

Originally posted by
                    Sometimes there's more extra metal on a part than others so pointing out what us old fucks take for granted is useful. I tap them out of convenience (I always have NPT taps) but if i did it commercially it's faster to press in an aftermarket fitting and leaves no chips, plus the customer can't crank down on a taper and break the body.

Yep that's a good point...... My post was to help in a rush if you don't have a week to get a part to get you back on the road..... It works I've done it several times.......

Comment

• farmall
                      • Apr 2013

Anyone wanting the part should Google "Drag Specialties 1003-0257 Fuel Inlet Fitting".

Thanks to this thread I ordered one in advance.

Comment

• 69Glide
                        • Jun 2016

Just offering the benefit of my experience - if you think it's of value then use it, if not then ignore it. I've got no dog in this fight it's not my carb and it's not my bike. A lot of us have been doin' this for many years, just offering my insight based on my experience, take it or leave it makes no never-mind to me...

Comment

• 69Glide
                          • Jun 2016

Originally posted by Tattooo
                          Why wouldn't you want to careful?
                          I don't understand the snarky response. I said to be careful and then I gave a very specific reason why, should I have not done that? If I'm stepping on toes or not following some process please educate me. I'm offering advice on a process I've got experience performing to someone who asked for advice about the issue. Is that not the point of this sub-forum, what am I missing here?
                          Last edited by 69Glide; 08-23-2019, 7:20 PM.

Comment

• Tattooo
                            • Sep 2012

I don't understand the snarky response. I said to be careful and then I gave a very specific reason why, should I have not done that? If I'm steppin' on toes or not following some process please educate me. I'm just offerin' advice on a process I've got experience performing to someone who asked for advice about the issue. What am I missing here?
                            Your not missing anything at all..... What I said is no different than what you said.... Were you trying to be snarky as you called it?

What you said should be a concern but I haven't had a problem... I'm sure some carbs are cast differently and clearances can be close.......

Thanks for pointing out the measurements.....
                            Last edited by Tattooo; 08-23-2019, 8:19 PM.

Comment

• 69Glide
                              • Jun 2016

The diameter of the flange in the casting is about 0.49" and the tap drill for a 1/8 NPT threaded fitting (smallest common NPT threaded fitting) is an "R" drill. The diameter of the drill is 0.339". after you drill and tap for the tapered fitting you are left with almost no wall material in the flange. The thread diameter of the tapered fitting is about 0.41 at it's largest - and when you install the tapered (i.e. a wedge) fitting you will be very lucky if the carb body does not crack.

Something to consider when you decide how to approach this problem.
                              Fixed it - no warning to be careful...

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...
                              ;