CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search
    kampeska55

Default 1998 sportster issues

I was riding my bike and then all the sudden it back fired and sputtered and started running normal again. Looked down and had no speedometer, odometer, or blinkers. Made it home and turned bike off. Went to start it and was completely dead. Battery was shot, even though it was only 6 months old. Ended up replacing Battery, turn signal module, and headlight. Bike started right up, rode it for about 3 weeks and then on way home last night exact same thing happened. Any ideas?

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by kampeska55 View Post
    I was riding my bike and then all the sudden it back fired and sputtered and started running normal again. Looked down and had no speedometer, odometer, or blinkers. Made it home and turned bike off. Went to start it and was completely dead. Battery was shot, even though it was only 6 months old. Ended up replacing Battery, turn signal module, and headlight. Bike started right up, rode it for about 3 weeks and then on way home last night exact same thing happened. Any ideas?
    Is it charging???? I bet not..........

Get Adobe Flash player

read that one of the wires breaking off from the winding of the stator is a common problem with that model (around '98) and the solution others suggested is to buy a replacement stator from Cycle Electric, as their wire is heavier gauge and connected better to the windings.
    Could also be caused by loose rotor magnets.

Check out their technical documents here for testing procedures to confirm the failure of which parts (stator, regulator, ), and look for replacements:
    http://www.cycleelectricinc.com/
    Last edited by TriNortchopz; 08-20-2019 at 10:34 PM.

Get Adobe Flash player

I don't replace individual alternator parts on bikes that ancient. Safer to start fresh then wait for magnet shift or old regulator to kill a new stator. I've used Cycle Electric parts since the 1980s.

Share This