Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kampeska55
    • Apr 2024

1998 sportster issues

I was riding my bike and then all the sudden it back fired and sputtered and started running normal again. Looked down and had no speedometer, odometer, or blinkers. Made it home and turned bike off. Went to start it and was completely dead. Battery was shot, even though it was only 6 months old. Ended up replacing Battery, turn signal module, and headlight. Bike started right up, rode it for about 3 weeks and then on way home last night exact same thing happened. Any ideas?
  • Tattooo
    • Sep 2012

Originally posted by kampeska55
    I was riding my bike and then all the sudden it back fired and sputtered and started running normal again. Looked down and had no speedometer, odometer, or blinkers. Made it home and turned bike off. Went to start it and was completely dead. Battery was shot, even though it was only 6 months old. Ended up replacing Battery, turn signal module, and headlight. Bike started right up, rode it for about 3 weeks and then on way home last night exact same thing happened. Any ideas?
    Is it charging???? I bet not..........

Comment

• TriNortchopz
      • Dec 2017

read that one of the wires breaking off from the winding of the stator is a common problem with that model (around '98) and the solution others suggested is to buy a replacement stator from Cycle Electric, as their wire is heavier gauge and connected better to the windings.
      Could also be caused by loose rotor magnets.

Check out their technical documents here for testing procedures to confirm the failure of which parts (stator, regulator, ), and look for replacements:
      Last edited by TriNortchopz; 08-20-2019, 10:34 PM.
      If buildin' old school choppers was easy, anyone could do it... ain't nobody said it's gonna be easy...

Comment

• farmall
        • Apr 2013

I don't replace individual alternator parts on bikes that ancient. Safer to start fresh then wait for magnet shift or old regulator to kill a new stator. I've used Cycle Electric parts since the 1980s.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
        Working...
        ;