Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Smog1312
    • Jul 2019

Norcal sportster project NZ

Hey guys, I’m in the process of doing my first Harley project (it’s a 2002 sportster 1200 custom) and figured I might as well share it on here, welcome to share your opinions or whatever

I’m based in Wellington, New Zealand. There aren’t a lot of people doing choppers here (mostly jap “bobbers” and cafe racers) so if there’s anyone in or around Wellington that is, hit me up 🤙🏼🤙🏼

So far I’ve made a sissy bar and KQ seat, 6” over forks and a few other minor things. Waiting on some custom rabbit ears that’ll be done soon and will be doing a chain conversion, frisco tank and mini blinkers soon

Here’s a few pics from what I started with to how it is at the moment Click image for larger version

Name:	933811A7-C2DE-4324-9160-6F951EB4B145.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	123.4 KB
ID:	1345518Click image for larger version

Name:	933811A7-C2DE-4324-9160-6F951EB4B145.jpg
Size:	123.4 KB
ID:	1345518
    Click image for larger version

Name:	E1B85F98-E7D0-4325-BB89-87826A16CAE1.jpg
Size:	115.3 KB
ID:	1345519Click image for larger version

Name:	E1B85F98-E7D0-4325-BB89-87826A16CAE1.jpg
Size:	115.3 KB
ID:	1345519
  • Smog1312
    • Jul 2019

Not sure why it did that with the pics...Click image for larger version

Name:	385E4F63-586F-4CED-807A-2F8194DF57E0.jpg
Size:	154.5 KB
ID:	1312697
    Attached Files

Comment

• TriNortchopz
      • Dec 2017

Looks like a great start.
      There aren’t a lot of people doing choppers here
      I chatted with these guys on facebook, seem like a good bunch: NZ Chopper Club
      If buildin' old school choppers was easy, anyone could do it... ain't nobody said it's gonna be easy...

Comment

• Smog1312
        • Jul 2019

Cheers!

Comment

• AndyNZ
          • Apr 2014

Nice build so far man!

I'm in NZ too, down in the South Island though in Dunedin/Christchurch. There are a few guys around but you have to go looking, i know for a fact there are a few Shov's, Pans, and Knucks up your way. Best I've found is to find who's who through Instagram.

Check out my build thread here if you like - http://www.chopcult.com/forum/showthread.php?t=52263

Comment

• Smog1312
            • Jul 2019

Thanks man! Fuckin hell what a ride!! Haha, it’s looking sick man! What’s your Instagram?

Comment

• mrFACE
              • Mar 2011

Well Hell!

I dont get on CC very often, but got on today and this is first on the forum. My family is actually moving to NZ in about 2 weeks (and I will follow late Nov.) Gonna be up in Gisborne, or "Gizzy" from what I understand. I'll be shipping homewares first, then hoping my brother will be kind enough to ship my chop, 1981 ironhead chopper.

Comment

• Smog1312
                • Jul 2019

Originally posted by mrFACE
                Well Hell!

I dont get on CC very often, but got on today and this is first on the forum. My family is actually moving to NZ in about 2 weeks (and I will follow late Nov.) Gonna be up in Gisborne, or "Gizzy" from what I understand. I'll be shipping homewares first, then hoping my brother will be kind enough to ship my chop, 1981 ironhead chopper.
                Nice one! Just in time for summer! Curious, How long will it take to ship the bike over?

Comment

• AndyNZ
                  • Apr 2014

My Instagram is AndrewCJM, theres some pic on there but more on here.

Originally posted by Smog1312
                  Nice one! Just in time for summer! Curious, How long will it take to ship the bike over?
                  I shipped mine over and it took about a month once it was on the water to when i had the bike in possession. It was a pretty straightforward process TBH.

Comment

• mrFACE
                    • Mar 2011

who did you use to ship yours?

Comment

• Smog1312
                      • Jul 2019

Name:	D5E3DE6B-DD7C-4BB5-AE8B-6B77885E67B9.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	103.4 KB
ID:	1313733Alright, so here’s where I’m at with this bike.. new bars on, new tank, I stopped the seat and I’m re doing it, was a bit puffy for my liking.. I’m making a new sissy bar that’s going to mount straight off the rear fender, relocated the ignition and coil and rolled back the rear fender. I’m in the process of welding up the “crazy frank” tombstone ( I’ll post photos when I’m done) and getting the tins ready for paint. I’ve been offered some drag pipes and forward controls too but I’m not sure about the forward controls

Name:	1FDCB36A-1E30-46A1-A4A2-4C13DF4671F2.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	138.2 KB
ID:	1313730

Name:	4B6C038A-3070-4161-B2CF-B5FE45E3D23F.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	141.7 KB
ID:	1313731

Name:	9BFCAF04-5380-4882-8F7C-BBAEB0521222.jpg
Size:	98.3 KB
ID:	1313732

Comment

• Smog1312
                        • Jul 2019

Also, I’m not sure wether to take the back of the seat all the way up the sissy bar (will be about 800mm high) or end it on the same line as the tombstone...what do you guys think?

Comment

• Jake883
                          • Mar 2019

i think it would look good either way. a nice king and queen always looks good tho and if you ride two up often the ol lady might appreciate that back support. im working on my 92 sporty this winter too, not sure if i want to keep the norcal style im goin with or hardtail it. i like those two into ones tho

Comment

• Smog1312
                            • Jul 2019

Originally posted by Jake883
                            i think it would look good either way. a nice king and queen always looks good tho and if you ride two up often the ol lady might appreciate that back support. im working on my 92 sporty this winter too, not sure if i want to keep the norcal style im goin
                            with or hardtail it. i like those two into ones tho
                            I’m into keeping the shocks, makes making the bike look good harder with sporty frames but so much more useable, especially here in nz, our roads suck for the most part

Comment

• Smog1312
                              • Jul 2019

Update

Welded the fender up, made new mounts for the sissy bar straight off the tail light housing with some 2mm reinforcement under the fender and painted he black with a bronze pearl. Came out pretty good considering we did it in a tent on a windy couple of days, still needs clear after I paint the flames on it. I had to put longer shocks on temporarily. One of the ikon 11.5” bent on the ride up north to get the tins painter, really strange but whatever, I going to replace em with 11” progressives

Here’s some pics
                              Attached Files

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...
                              ;