Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tomahawk1976
    • Apr 2014

Anybody knowledgeable on ultra groundpounders??? Bikes down

Long story short I have an 01 ultra fat pounder (230 rear) and I brought it to the shop—-they said the rear caliper is fucked (10” rotor) and new ones are like $600. Any place to look for used or less expensive parts. I’m poor, but love the bike
  • farmall
    • Apr 2013

Post pics of rotor and caliper. Rotor bolt diameter, bolt circle dimensions and bore inside diameter will help.

Comment

• TriNortchopz
      • Dec 2017

Originally posted by tomahawk1976
      Long story short I have an 01 ultra fat pounder (230 rear) and I brought it to the shop—-they said the rear caliper is fucked (10” rotor) and new ones are like $600. Any place to look for used or less expensive parts. I’m poor, but love the bike
      Go to the Ultra website and look at their parts link;

I clicked on the Bikers Choice catalog, then go to page 440, first page of the brake section - this can help identify your caliper...then maybe you can find a caliper rebuild kit somewhere.

Ultra Cycles Parts & Accessories
      "Ultra Motorcycle Company represents a large number of distributors and manufacturers, like
      Biker's Choice, Custom Chrome, DNA Specialty, Mid-West Motorcycle Supply and Mid-USA Motorcycle Parts.
      Companies that you have come to know for the quality of their products. We sell nothing but the best and these are the products that we put on our own bikes..."

and the 1973 - 1980 Shovelheads had 10" rear rotors, so look at custom calipers to fit those; saw new caliper and bracket for $239.
      Last edited by TriNortchopz; 08-19-2019, 8:27 PM. Reason: shovel
      If buildin' old school choppers was easy, anyone could do it... ain't nobody said it's gonna be easy...

Comment

• GSBobber1980
        • Aug 2017

Did they even tell you HOW the caliper was “fucked”? I’d want to know exactly what’s wrong with the thing first especially since calipers can be rebuilt instead of being replaced.

Comment

• Tattooo
          • Sep 2012

I'd take it to a different shop or do it yourself........ We can help you with that........

Comment

• farmall
            • Apr 2013

Originally posted by Tattooo
            or do it yourself........ We can help you with that........
            Best idea. If you're gonna play with old vehicles (or any vehicles) and aren't rich then learn to do it yourself. The skills alone are worth it and apply to more than bikes.

Comment

• Luky
              • May 2018

Originally posted by tomahawk1976
              Were you told what was wrong with the caliper? $600 is a very high price!

You have many alternatives.

Comment

• KevinN
                • May 2014

I bought one of those ultra's at a repo auction in 1999. Many of those bikes used different accessories at different times. Mine had a ridiculous 5/8" offset on the left to accommodate the wide tire. I flipped it easily at the time as it was right in the middle of the fat tire craze. 10 inch rotor sounds odd for this bike. Tons of good used stuff out there to fix the problem. A whole new set up from Fab Kevin is also a good choice. Sounds like some indy shop wants in your pocket.

Comment

• Dragstews
                  • Sep 2010

What I'm going to say won't win me any friends ....

The word "ULTRA"

I was a dealer for these bikes ...

In the shops that I worked at that sold them, the Fella's in the service end of the dealerships hung a name on em..
                  Un-Likely-To-Run-Again = ULTRA ... Lol

Well I didn't see it like that .. ^^ ..
                  What I did see from the Company was Custom built bikes at a low $$ ...
                  Sales for the Groundpounder and Jackhammer was up there, was hard to keep them on the showroom floor ...

Most all of them was powered by S&S 113" motors...
                  (You can do so much "MORE", with a four inch "BORE")
                  Last edited by Dragstews; 08-20-2019, 1:03 PM.
                  Take my 45 and outrun em all ..

Comment

• tomahawk1976
                    • Apr 2014

Originally posted by Luky
                    Were you told what was wrong with the caliper? $600 is a very high price!

You have many alternatives.
                    Yeah....and I did stop and take pics (if I can figure out how to post the ducking things) it’s a PM caliper and a 10” rotor with countersunk bolts (that don’t seem to seat all the way. The groove or whatever you wanna call it that the pad sits in is basically all beat to hell (so the pad is pretty loose in there. Somebody put in a wheel spacer that was bigger than the axle and it just looks mangled and I guess let the caliper move around

Comment

• tomahawk1976
                      • Apr 2014

Click image for larger version

Name:	D7E95DE0-8AF3-4F4E-AC80-8E5AFC105AB7.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	74.1 KB
ID:	1312704

Comment

• farmall
                        • Apr 2013

Originally posted by Dragstews
                        What I'm going to say won't win me any friends ....

The word "ULTRA"

I was a dealer for these bikes ...

In the shops that I worked at that sold them, the Fella's in the service end of the dealerships hung a name on em..
                        Un-Likely-To-Run-Again = ULTRA ... Lol
                        So why did the service techs dislike them? Clonechops are commonly stripped to get the S&S engine but the engine isn't the motorcycle. What broke and why? Knowing in advance would help remaining owners.

OP would be wise to drag the bike home (plead poverty, don't mention prices) and remove the rear wheel. There are many ways to hang less expensive (like Softail takeoffs) rear brakes. If we can see a full view the PM concerned someone may know its bolt-on replacements. Wheel spacers are cheap.

BTW also inspect the rear wheel bearings.

That caliper doesn't look horrible and I see no leaks. It may be rebuildable. Pads are shot of course. If a backed off spacer let other parts beat each other sorting the spacer, replacing the rotor and rebuilding the caliper may work.

The seals may match a stock HD part.
                        Last edited by farmall; 08-20-2019, 2:51 PM.

Comment

• tomahawk1976
                          • Apr 2014

Name:	DC402873-769F-4204-9711-B420E62A302A.jpg
Size:	113.8 KB
ID:	1312705

Comment

• tomahawk1976
                            • Apr 2014

Name:	C73EAEB5-9951-41B4-B4BB-6DFA53592EB6.jpg
Size:	96.8 KB
ID:	1312706

Comment

• Dragstews
                              • Sep 2010

Originally posted by farmall
                              So why did the service techs dislike them? Clonechops are commonly stripped to get the S&S engine but the engine isn't the motorcycle. What broke and why? Knowing in advance would help remaining owners.
                              Pretty much what this Guy is having a problem with...
                              I recall a problem with the rear wheels being major problems...
                              We had a few bikes that the bolts holding the huge spacers on them snapping off, even some had the rims coming apart () due to that freak problem...

ULTRA sent out "Service Bulletins" on some of those bikes to replace them with diff rims that they supplied..
                              They was aware of the problems with their suppliers of those rims and was on top of doing a recall .... !!

The 113" was hard on the drive train, especially if you rode the dogshit out of them ...
                              Last edited by Dragstews; 08-20-2019, 3:08 PM.
                              Take my 45 and outrun em all ..

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...
                              ;