CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default oil line routing / cooling question

Hi. Potentially dumb question here, but I can't find the answer anywhere else..

I have a 79 shovel, FXS, with the stock oil tank. It has an oil cooler on the front of the bike, that I'm looking to delete.

There's a long oil line that runs from the oil tank cap on top, down under the bike, to the cooler at the front. Then another long line back from the cooler on the other side of the bike, to the inside tap (closer to motor) of the two taps that sit side by side on the oil pump.

My question is - do I still need to run a long ass oil line around the bike? Or can I just run a short line directly from the oil tank cap straight to this inside tap on the oil pump? Like, is there some cooling that needs to happen by having the oil pump around all the way around the bike??

Sorry if that's a dumb question... I've only ever had this bike and an Ironhead that also came with a cooler at the front. Thanks for any help

Get Adobe Flash player

Only reason for the long lines is that the oil is going out of the pump into the cooler, then to the oil tank. Eliminating the oil cooler, and you just run a line from the return of the oil pump back to the tank.

Get Adobe Flash player

Cool, thanks mate!

Get Adobe Flash player

Can I ask why you want to do away with the cooler???? Is it just for looks??????????

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Tattooo View Post
    Can I ask why you want to do away with the cooler???? Is it just for looks??????????
    Yeah for looks mainly. I’m building a pretty minimal chopper, and removing it would really clean up the front of the frame.

FXS seems to be the only model that came with a cooler?? So doesn’t seem to be mandatory to the running of the bike, if other models didn’t have them? Plus it’s not real hot where I live, not gonna be a real long distance bike.. so deleting it is a big win in the looks dept. vs a (seemingly) small loss in terms of performance / reliability etc?

Keen to hear why I’d want to keep it if you think I should Tattooo?

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by nickfracture View Post
    Keen to hear why I’d want to keep it if you think I should Tattooo?
    It came on the bike because the FXS was a top of the line bike..... Like the CVO is today...... The coolers were available to buy from Harley back then like accessories are today......

If it's not very hot where you live leave it off as they don't look very nice on a custom bike......

I leave the factory oil cooler cover on my stock 79 FXS most of the time unless it's hot outside......
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails MVC-015S_zpsef848745.JPG  

Get Adobe Flash player

Thanks. Thatís a nice FXS youíve got there. My one is nowhere near that stock, or that nice

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by nickfracture View Post
    Thanks. That’s a nice FXS you’ve got there. My one is nowhere near that stock, or that nice
    Many thanks....... It's a 16,000 mile original paint bike......

Sure if you want to take the cooler off I wouldn't blame you.....

Share This