CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default micro pitting on aluminum wheel

Hey gents!
    So ive got some tiny pitting in my akront front wheel. Left the bike outside for 4 days and the rain got to it and managed to corroed the hoop a little where the water pooled and didnt evaporate quick enough.
    It left behind tiny micro pitting that my polish gets into and leaves black specks behind. any tips on getting rid of the pitting? I cant even feel them with my finger nail but they're deep enough to catch polish and shit

Get Adobe Flash player

If it’s an aluminum rim you could use 2000 grit sandpaper the sand down the pit and then polish it for a nice finish

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by misfitJason View Post
    If it’s an aluminum rim you could use 2000 grit sandpaper the sand down the pit and then polish it for a nice finish
    Thats what I figured! gonna give that a try.
    Been using mothers aluminum and mag polish. Might switch to a more abrasive polish

Get Adobe Flash player

I'd start out with at lease 1000 grit paper then go up...........

Get Adobe Flash player

Test alloy wheel cleaners and polishes carefully before you slather it all over any alloy bits. Some will badly discolor and stain the alloy. One of my renters had a meltdown and had nearly ruined the finish on the alloy rims on his truck. I dont remember the brand but it clearly said it was for Alloy wheels.
    Micro pitting is common on many types of aluminum, Especially vintage British and no amount of polishing or sanding will clean it up because its casting porosity. However an Akront is a decent quality wheel, So experiment with wet sanding with a quality paper. Personally,,, I cant see yours but might even need to start at 600-800 grit and work your way up.
    When it gets to polish, I use a heavy black stainless polishing compound, then switch cloths/buffs, clean and then use a finer green or white and sisal cloth buff. I do most polishing on a heavy duty buffer but small things I do a little hand work or use a dremel or die grinder

Share This