Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • HogsRear
    • Sep 2015

Shovelhead Clutch Shudder / Slip Under Load

I think I've read through nearly every different shovelhead clutch thread on here (and other sites) and I can't find an answer for the issue I am having with my bike. It's a ratchet top 4 speed with bearing support plate added and tin primary cover, foot clutch hand shift. New five finger clutch hub, BDL 1.5" belt drive, Ram Jett style retainer, Blue Barnett clutch springs. I have tried swapping friction plates and metal plates (all new and in good shape) and nothing changed. I've tried adjusting spring tension, clutch arm position, aluminum pressure plate, again no change. Everything is set up to spec, my primary belt if anything might be a bit loose (can move it up and down a good inch) which I think is better than too tight but the trans is currently all the way back on the plate.

The issue I am having feels like it should be clutch related. The first part is I'm getting a good amount of shudder taking off from stop in first gear, a problem that I've heard is fairly common but can be addressed with a tamer typically. Second, when riding and especially under load in 3rd and 4th gear, I get another shudder that feels to me like the clutch it slipping. Again, I have tried and tried again every clutch adjustment I could think of and I'm at a loss. Any info or ideas on what could be happening here would be appreciated.
  • JBinNC
    • Dec 2018

Yes, a shudder on takeoff is a common problem with open primary clutches. I have the same problem with mine. A softer lining will fix it, but without using asbestos as a component of the lining material, it's hard to formulate one that is soft enough, and still give some life. I have tried every lining/clutch kit I can get my hands on, and all will shudder, at least sometimes.

If your clutch seems to be slipping in third and fourth, IT IS. Add more spring, check the clutch pushrod adjustment, or change lining material or add a plate and steel. Those are the remedies. I like the Barnett foot clutch springs, the orange ones, for hand or foot clutch. You can also tighten the adjustment on your existing springs as long as they do not coil bind when the clutch is disengaged.

Jim

Comment

• Dragstews
      • Sep 2010

Auto Clutch ..... Whoa .. !!!
      Take my 45 and outrun em all ..

Comment

• HogsRear
        • Sep 2015

Originally posted by JBinNC
        If your clutch seems to be slipping in third and fourth, IT IS. Add more spring, check the clutch pushrod adjustment, or change lining material or add a plate and steel. Those are the remedies. I like the Barnett foot clutch springs, the orange ones, for hand or foot clutch. You can also tighten the adjustment on your existing springs as long as they do not coil bind when the clutch is disengaged.

Jim
        Thanks Jim, I'll try tightening the springs again, and maybe swapping friction plates with the other set I have. It does feel like it's slipping, but I was curious if that feeling could be caused by anything else that I might be missing.

Comment

• HogsRear
          • Sep 2015

Originally posted by Dragstews
          Auto Clutch ..... Whoa .. !!!
          ?

Comment

• Dragstews
            • Sep 2010

Let me tell you a story ...
            Was living in Vegas at the time ...
            Every Friday night, H ( . Y . ) ters would put on a Bike Night.. I showed up on the 52 and parked it in line with about 25 other bikes.. Guess there was three or four lines of bikes in their parking lot ...

I was there about three hours and was getting ready to head home ... Well all Hell broke loose in the parking lot ... What happen was a Guy had the same idea I had ... Fried up his bike, which was new to him, had a shop build it and like the Titanic was out for his first ride around town on it...
            Seems that he didn't understand the function of a Auto Clutch very well, it took off dragging him along side of it and right into a line of parked bikes it went... Knocked over at least 8 or 10 of some super nice Customs ... He broke his wrist and a bunch of Fellas was wanting to add his neck to the list of broken bones .. !! I stuck around till the Cops showed up to make a report ...

Something like this went down ...

.../// https://youtu.be/gyhy7Z71qzE \\\...
            Last edited by Dragstews; 08-15-2019, 3:04 PM.
            Take my 45 and outrun em all ..

Comment

• HogsRear
              • Sep 2015

Update on this. I've gone through the clutch adjustments several times now and while I think I have figured out the initial shudder taking off in first gear, I still feel the same thing as before when the bike is under load. Like I said, to me it feels like the clutch is slipping but I've adjusted the springs pretty tight (4+ threads showing on the clutch hub fingers) and have felt no difference. They are newer blue Barnett springs, should be more than enough pressure. I've tried the aluminum pressure plate and switched back to the stock one again. No difference. Could any other issue on the bike cause this feeling? Something in the transmission? Belt? Going crazy trying to figure it out.

Comment

• JBinNC
                • Dec 2018

The only other possibility that comes to mind is that the clutch hub key is sheared, and the clutch hub is slipping on the mainshaft taper. It will weld itself to the mainshaft over time, so it kinda fixes itself.

I will again suggest the Barnett orange foot clutch springs.

Jim

Comment

• Tattooo
                  • Sep 2012

It's hard to guess what your feeling on my computer but...........

I'm gonna go out on a limb on this one too.................. Bent shift fork not letting the gear totally engage..........

Is it a chatter or slipping????????? You can't really feel slipping..............

Comment

• JBinNC
                    • Dec 2018

You most certainly can feel a clutch slipping. Accelerate up a hill in high gear and when the motor hits the torque level that the clutch can't handle, the clutch will start slipping and will continue to slip until you back off the throttle. If it's real bad, you can feel it on level ground. My stroker FLH will slip the clutch on the hiway with my wife as passenger, because I've got it adjusted a little too close to the limit.

Jim

Comment

• Davestune
                      • May 2014

Can you add another fiber plate?

Comment

• Tattooo
                        • Sep 2012

Originally posted by JBinNC
                        You most certainly can feel a clutch slipping. Accelerate up a hill in high gear and when the motor hits the torque level that the clutch can't handle, the clutch will start slipping and will continue to slip until you back off the throttle. If it's real bad, you can feel it on level ground. My stroker FLH will slip the clutch on the hiway with my wife as passenger, because I've got it adjusted a little too close to the limit.

Jim
                        Jim what does it feel like? Like a spinning tire? I'll bet you hear it more like the motor revving etc......

But you can feel chatter...........

Comment

• JBinNC
                          • Dec 2018

Originally posted by Tattooo
                          Jim what does it feel like? Like a spinning tire? I'll bet you hear it more like the motor revving etc......

But you can feel chatter...........
                          Yes, the motor will rev freely, but the bike ain't gaining any speed.

Jim

Comment

• Davestune
                            • May 2014

This shits hard to do over the internet
                            Could be key ciuld be a number of things

Comment

• HogsRear
                              • Sep 2015

It's more of a vibrating/chatter feeling when the motor is under load vs a smooth slip but I guess I thought if the clutch was just barely slipping it would maybe shudder like that? If someone on here who has felt a big twin clutch slip before says that it's more of a smooth slip and lack of power translating to the rear wheel I can rule that out.

I guess it could be the key but I had the clutch hub off a few weeks back and everything went back together smoothly. I wouldn't know where to add another fiber plate as there's one on each end right now per the stock setup. If it were the shift forks would it still be able to shift fine through all the gears?

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...
                              ;