Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mudmane
    • Aug 2019

83 shovel belt drive conversion

Hi all. I've recently started my latest project, I bought a stockish 83 shovel and I'm putting the motor in a rigid frame. The bike had belt final drive which I want to convert to chain.. Now I know the trans pulley is wider than a sprocket so is it going to be an issue putting a sprocket on the longer main shaft? Or will something like an offset sprocket solve my issue?
    Any next question.. is there an easy way to pull this trans pulley now I have the trans out?? And what size is the nut?!
    Attached Files
  • Tattooo
    • Sep 2012

Originally posted by mudmane
    Any next question.. is there an easy way to pull this trans pulley now I have the trans out?? And what size is the nut?!

What does your Harley manual say?? It's in there.........

You can pull the pulley off with your hand........... Just take the nut off............

Comment

• JBinNC
      • Dec 2018

The nut is a left hand thread. The hex is 1 7/8. There are specialty sockets available from several sources, or you can make one by extending a regular (six point) socket. On your '83, to switch to a chain sprocket, you need to change the seal spacer behind the main drive seal (and this may be a good time to change the seal) or use the sprocket shim used on the '80 - '81 chain drive models. You want to use the -80 series sprocket. With your original inner primary, there is room for an offset sprocket if you need it to clear a wide rear tire.

Jim

Comment

• mudmane
        • Aug 2019

Originally posted by Tattooo
        What does your Harley manual say?? It's in there.........

You can pull the pulley off with your hand........... Just take the nut off............
        Sorry didnt word my question very well. Now I have the trans out I cannot apply my rear brake so I can loosen the nut. How can I stop it spinning with the trans out? (Bike is in bits so I cannot put it back in)

Comment

• Dragstews
          • Sep 2010

This tool will do the job with a impact ...

Made by Jims
          Take my 45 and outrun em all ..

Comment

• mudmane
            • Aug 2019

Originally posted by JBinNC
            The nut is a left hand thread. The hex is 1 7/8. There are specialty sockets available from several sources, or you can make one by extending a regular (six point) socket. On your '83, to switch to a chain sprocket, you need to change the seal spacer behind the main drive seal (and this may be a good time to change the seal) or use the sprocket shim used on the '80 - '81 chain drive models. You want to use the -80 series sprocket. With your original inner primary, there is room for an offset sprocket if you need it to clear a wide rear tire.

Jim
            Thanks for the reply. So the shim sits behind the sprocket?? And what is the difference with the -80 series sprocket?

Comment

• JBinNC
              • Dec 2018

Thanks for the reply. So the shim sits behind the sprocket?? And what is the difference with the -80 series sprocket?
              Yes, shim behind sprocket. It makes up for the difference in the belt drive seal spacer and the chain drive seal spacer. The -80 sprockets are flat on both sides, with no undercut like the earlier sprockets.

Jim

Comment

• JBinNC
                • Dec 2018

If you don't have an impact wrench, you can take the top off the transmission and engage two gears to keep the main drive gear from turning. Don't lose the shift fork rollers when you do this. This is also one way to torque the nut with the transmission on the bench.

Jim

Comment

• mudmane
                  • Aug 2019

Yes, shim behind sprocket. It makes up for the difference in the belt drive seal spacer and the chain drive seal spacer. The -80 sprockets are flat on both sides, with no undercut like the earlier sprockets.

Jim
                  I have found a transmission sprocket spacer 1.2mm thick online. Does this sound about right?

Comment

• JBinNC
                    • Dec 2018

I have found a transmission sprocket spacer 1.2mm thick online. Does this sound about right?
                    Yes, should have a -80 part #.

Jim

Comment

• mudmane
                      • Aug 2019

Yes, should have a -80 part #.

Jim
                      Yeah it does. Thanks

Comment

• farmall
                        • Apr 2013

I use a visegrip chain clamp to restrain the pulley for nut removal in such cases.

Comment

• Tattooo
                          • Sep 2012

Why not just stick that big ass pulley in a vice??????

Comment

• Dragstews
                            • Sep 2010

Tattoo ....

Have you ever shoed a horse ... ?? ...

An Irishman applied for a job working with the local blacksmith.

“Have you ever shoed horses?” the blacksmith asked him.

“No,” replied the Irishman, “but I did tell a donkey to f... off once.”
                            Take my 45 and outrun em all ..

Comment

• Tattooo
                              • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Dragstews
                              Tattoo ....

Have you ever shoed a horse ... ?? ...

An Irishman applied for a job working with the local blacksmith.

“Have you ever shoed horses?” the blacksmith asked him.

“No,” replied the Irishman, “but I did tell a donkey to f... off once.”
                              Why do you need a horse shoed????????? LOL

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...
                              ;