CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Default Shovelhead oil pump question

Grettings all, this is my first post. I did some searching here, and this looks like a great forum to be in.

I have a 1974 shovel, with a few mods, its a stroker with truet and osborn wheels, over bore, and andrews cams. Its a rat bike, but its a blast. I have had it 20 + years, and with a lot of maintenance, its been a hell of a reliable bike.

I have searched quite a bit on this problem, and I have not seen anyone else describe this one. I have no oil coming out of my port on the oil pump for the primary.

I run a total loss primary, I do not return any oil from the primary, as it keeps the gunk from returning to my system. However, I do feed it from the oil pump still.

I should convert to a wet clutch, and seal the primary, but that is another project.

Until then, I would like to figure out whats up with the pump.

I do have the factory dummy light hooked up on the dash, and it is functioning.

Has anyone seen this before?

Thanks in advance,
    Matt

I believe on a '74, the primary oil is metered by a hole in the breather valve. It passes through the oil pump, but the pump doesn't really have anything to do with it.

Jim

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Share This