CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search
Page 2 of 2 First 12

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

If your ignition system module has power but no workee then it may be damaged. It's more likely to have been damaged than the pickup but pickups die too.. Both are old if original. I'd expose the pickup by pulling the cover. The potting compound often melts before failure.

With spark plugs removed and grounded/connected at backshells (I rubberband the backshells together since stock ignitions fire across the coil) you can check if the ignition is grounding/ungrounding the coil windings.

One way is place an incandescent (because they are a resistive load) test light between the battery and the (disconnected at coil) ignition side coil wire. Spin engine, if light flickers, some switching is happening.

You can test the coil by disconnecting the ignition side, clipping a jumper lead to that coil post, and rapidly grounding and ungrounding the lead. Think "quick tapping". The plugs connected as above should spark.
    Last edited by farmall; 08-14-2019 at 7:26 PM.

I know this sounds stupid but what do u mean when you say ignition side? How msny individual wires total should i have grounded to the frame itself? Im confused & beyond frustrated

Get Adobe Flash player

I mean the terminal of the coil opposite that where power is supplied. If not sure, disconnect both and the power wire will be hot with ignition on while the switched wire will not. Flipping the kill switch will turn coil power on and off. Remember or review how ignition coils work.

Sketch just the ignition system on blank paper or whatever you need to do to picture it. The engine is grounded else the starter motor wouldn't rotate. You have a solid mount bike so problem is not some minor ground strap. Your problem isn't a ground.

Since you already confirmed power to your ignition module and the coil what remains is figuring out what ignition part(s) is/are damaged, module, pickup, coil or more than one.

Alternate option, replace module then pickup then coil.

Module and pickup can be replaced by a single aftermarket ignition unit.

Alternate option, points conversion which requires a new coil. Points are easiest and quickest to troubleshoot by far and immune to voltage spikes because they are a mechanical switch.

A '94 Wide Glide is a rubber mount (Dyna chassis).

Jim

Get Adobe Flash player

My bad, brain fart.

You can run piggyback grounds using jumper cables to test (quick and easy) but the engine ground is good because it spins over. You can either confirm engine to frame ground with a jumper for test or remove and inspect ground straps and add one if you wish.

So long as engine and frame grounds are connected electrically all will be well. Check schematic for ground points.
    Last edited by farmall; 08-15-2019 at 9:25 AM.

Share This