Softail rear brake on 4-speed rigid help?

Collapse

Desktop Ad Forum Top

Collapse

Mobile ad top forum

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tater66
    • Mar 2019

The bracket i posted will work. Used them before. The link i posted is only the first example i found and the price is dumb. Shop around and you may find something less pricey. It will definitely need some massaging. Wheel and fresh chain must be installed to get location correct.
    Once installed it will blend in like it belongs there unlike some attempts I have seen.

On a side note, I have used the caliper on a swingarm Shovel. 1/4" angle welded to swingarm.

Comment

• jbswear
      • Jul 2013

Thanks, gents. I've ordered a replacement caliper that has the mounting tab and a weld-on bracket.

I'll update when it's installed.

Comment

• Beefdrippings
        • Sep 2009

Too bad. All you need as stated above is a flat piece welded to frame to fit in the slot on the caliber. My brother has this exact setup for many years/miles no problems. Good luck either way

Originally posted by jbswear
        Thanks, gents. I've ordered a replacement caliper that has the mounting tab and a weld-on bracket.

I'll update when it's installed.

Comment

• TriNortchopz
          • Dec 2017

All that is needed is a slotted tab like shown above to adapt the tabless caliper. Many models of calipers have been adapted that do not have the softail slot.
          If buildin' old school choppers was easy, anyone could do it... ain't nobody said it's gonna be easy...

Comment

• Tattooo
            • Sep 2012

Some people just like doing things the hard and more expensive way.....

But that's just fine that's part of building a chopper....... I guess?????????

Comment

• Dragstews
              • Sep 2010

Hey, I just found out the diff. between a Chopper and a Bobber ....
              Take my 45 and outrun em all ..

Comment

• jbswear
                • Jul 2013

Originally posted by TriNortchopz
                Great build thread ya got there.
                [ATTACH=CONFIG]96233[/ATTACH]
                A bracket that bolts tight to the caliper won't bend.
                Looks like you already cut off the slotted tab on your caliper that the above linked weld-on bracket would slide into. I think a slot equal to the axle movement with a 90 degree tab with two round 'cutouts' welded to the inside of the frame would be strong and clean...I can see it but can't describe it well.
                Sometimes I overthink shit; even just a tab like this with a solid spacer would work:
                [ATTACH=CONFIG]96234[/ATTACH]
                http://www.bitterendchoppers.com/FrameParts5.html
                Hey man, didn't mean to ignore your response. Yours is a good idea, but I had already ordered a replacement caliper that hasn't been cut like I did with mine.

Comment

• TriNortchopz
                  • Dec 2017

chop on!
                  If buildin' old school choppers was easy, anyone could do it... ain't nobody said it's gonna be easy...

Comment

• jbswear
                    • Jul 2013

Originally posted by Tater66
                    The bracket i posted will work. Used them before. The link i posted is only the first example i found and the price is dumb. Shop around and you may find something less pricey. It will definitely need some massaging. Wheel and fresh chain must be installed to get location correct.
                    Once installed it will blend in like it belongs there unlike some attempts I have seen.

On a side note, I have used the caliper on a swingarm Shovel. 1/4" angle welded to swingarm.
                    Tater,

I have the bracket in hand (along with an unmolested, replacement Softail caliper). I've mocked up the bracket, caliper, and wheel in place.

I've never done this before, or seen it done, so I'm a bit nervous about moving forward.

I can see where I need to grind away a bit of the bracket to make it sit better on the frame; that's not a concern.

I see how the caliper has an X shape cut into it, I'm assuming to allow for varying angles on the brake stay.

My concern is twofold: I want to make sure I locate the bracket on correctly AND be sure I can take the wheel assembly off and reinstall it once the bracket is welded into place. It's a really tight fit in there.

The wheel, with new chain, is only a few millimeters away from the front of the adjusting slots; there's lots of room to move beck if needed.

Any advice to offer to make sure I don't fuck this up completely? Where should I locate the brake on the bracket? Centered? More front? More back?

I have a local chop shop welder who says it'll be a quick job for him.
                    Last edited by jbswear; 08-16-2019, 9:08 PM.

Comment

• TriNortchopz
                      • Dec 2017

Mount the bracket so the caliper will have the best fit regardless of axle location in the slot. Remove chain so you can move axle to each end of the axle slot and center it from there.

Apparently, it is not too much of a problem; look how 79Josh81 mounted the tab on his wide tire XS recently:

Click image for larger version

Name:	wide tire caliper mount 79josh81.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	41.5 KB
ID:	1312622

Comment

• bobberadam
                        • Jan 2011

^^^^ Holy fucking weld.... I would not recommend doing the above set up for your tab. If i was going to use this style i would have used a piece of angle iron cut to match the angle of the lower tube.

Comment

• TriNortchopz
                          • Dec 2017

Originally posted by bobberadam
                          ^^^^ Holy fucking weld.... I would not recommend doing the above set up for your tab. If i was going to use this style i would have used a piece of angle iron cut to match the angle of the lower tube.
                          Yup, yikes it is, or as you say, WTFW; I suggested additional support, but he is okay with it and said it works...

Comment

• rockman96
                            • May 2018

Lol, at first glance when this pic scrolled onto my screen, my initial thought was "WTF did he do here!?!" I mean I've heard of 'hybrids', but shit! Too funny. Good work man, keep it rolling.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DPP_1379Medium_zps048c3fbf.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	173.2 KB
ID:	1312629

Comment

• bobberadam
                              • Jan 2011

Originally posted by TriNortchopz
                              Yup, yikes it is, or as you say, WTFW; I suggested additional support, but he is okay with it and said it works...
                              Things always work until they don't...

Comment

• jbswear
                                • Jul 2013

Tri--

I'll give that a try. Thanks.

Bobby--

The bracket I have is much mute substantial than that and shaped to fit the frame.
                                Last edited by jbswear; 08-19-2019, 9:55 AM.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                                Working...
                                ;