Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AlbertaFarmer
    • Sep 2013

Shopping For Air Cleaner

Hey everyone. I am looking at replacing an S&S Tear drop air cleaner with something smaller. The bike is a 2000 Sportster. Please forgive me for not putting this in the Sportster section, there is so little traffic there these days. I plan on trimming my cam cover this winter, and I think the big tear drop will look even more out of place. It seems like I'll be able to sell that one for a good part of what a new one will cost. I'm not looking for hi performance, I mostly just want something cleaner looking, without losing much power. There are quite a few options under $100, surprisingly made in America. So far, I'm looking at these:

Click image for larger version

Name:	LowbrowCleaner.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	205.5 KB
ID:	1345491
    Lowbrow louvered air cleaner - $49.99 Made in the USA, looks pretty good. Comes with a paper filter. Lowbrow has a Cycle standard "premium" filter for $14.99, and I'm pretty sure I can get a K&N up here for the equivalent of $50 American.

Name:	GasBox.jpg
Size:	11.4 KB
ID:	1345492
    GasBox 007 - $99.99 - Stainless steel - Made in the USA - I've seen one in person, and they are a beautiful, top notch unit. Comes with what I believe is a cycle standard "premium" filter. Would probably want to fit a K&N. My only worry is the exposed filter. The bugs here are awful, and it seems like it would plug all the time. Probably need a rain sock?

Name:	MoonCleaner.jpg
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	1345493
    Mooneyes air cleaner - $70 - Made in the USA - Nice looking little piece, but your paying an awful lot for that Mooneyes name. Same concerns as the Gasbox. Rain, bugs etc.

So far, I'm leaning towards the Gasbox 007. Mostly just because I've seen how goddamn good they look in person. But I live in the country and end up riding a lot of insect ridden highway. The Lowbrow with a K&N filter would cost about the same, but it doesn't look like it would provide too much air flow, being so small and closed in. I'd really appreciate anybody's experience with any of these, or any other similar setups. I'm open to just about anything.

Thanks fellas.
  • dnmccoy
    • Jul 2019

I found this and may go this route for about half that price

Sportster Models - Small, cheap & easy do it yourself air cleaner (lots of pics) - I've done a ton of these air cleaners. They work with both carbed and EFI Sportsters. Super cheap & easy so I thought I'd share. 4 air cleaner assembly from Auto Zone. 12 or 13 bucks. 538068 538069 Cheapy carb mount from Jireh, Ebay,...

Comment

• AlbertaFarmer
      • Sep 2013

Damn! That's a good looking setup. I looked at Autozone online, and it doesn't look like they have smaller units in Canada here. I'm headed up to the city today, going to see who's got what. Really appreciate it, man.

Not sure I'll be able to source parts up here, so still interested in feedback on store bought cleaners as well.

Comment

• misfitJason
        • Sep 2009

I like s&s’ stealth air cleaner. The number one reason is the bolts can’t back out and get sucked into your motor!

Comment

• AlbertaFarmer
          • Sep 2013

Thanks, Jason. I looked them up. Good looking unit, but the price is pretty steep up here. Thinking I'll bite the bullet and go with the GasBox 007. Might wait until winter so I can pull mine and sell it beforehand. The Lowbrow one looks really good too, but I just can't imagine it providing much air flow.

Comment

• nuklhd
            • Sep 2013

AF, I have one of those louvered air covers with an adapter for most carbs. Send me you address and it's yours for shipping. I think I bought it years ago from some car part site for 19 bucks. If you add motorcycle to the description than those monkeys want to pretend they are special.

Comment

• farmall
              • Apr 2013

Filters stop insects. If it accumulates enough to matter, remove the insects! Severe rain can be a problem with open filters. Most rain is not.

The old style car filter housings work nicely. Any nuts used should be all-metal self-locking.

Comment

• nuklhd
                • Sep 2013

https://www.mooneyesusa.com/product-p/hd001yes.htm this is the adapter you can have along with their louvered cleaner. shit, the air cleaner is only 14 bucks.

Comment

• AlbertaFarmer
                  • Sep 2013

Wow, nuklhd, I really appreciate it. I'll PM you the shipping info. Too cool of you, man.

Comment

• AlbertaFarmer
                    • Sep 2013

Originally posted by farmall
                    Filters stop insects. If it accumulates enough to matter, remove the insects! Severe rain can be a problem with open filters. Most rain is not.

The old style car filter housings work nicely. Any nuts used should be all-metal self-locking.
                    Thanks, Farmall. I guess it's easy enough to clean it out often. And I don't tour on this one anymore, so I've had good luck dodging the real heavy rains. All metal, self locking. Noted.

Comment

• 7and7is
                      • Dec 2012

This one is pretty cool by Two brothers racing.

Comment

• AlbertaFarmer
                        • Sep 2013

I really like the look of the Two Brothers. I think it would sit pretty well on my bike. But $250 is an awful lot.

Comment

• nuklhd
                          • Sep 2013

p/m sent/replied

Comment

• AlbertaFarmer
                            • Sep 2013

Originally posted by nuklhd
                            p/m sent/replied
                            Thanks man, I wrote back.

Comment

• vonhelmet
                              • May 2010

That Lowbrow air cleaner looks cool and is cheap but in my opinion its too small to flow enough air. That thing is for a lawnmower. Id like a little more filter area.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...
                              ;