CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: No go pogo

Default No go pogo

I have been going through a 1983 FLH 80 that I bought in February. The bike bike had a Mustang seat that i FIND IMPOSSIBLE TO RIDE over 40 mi without tailbone pain/ I installed a solo LePera and it is better. I really wanted a sprung saddle but found in 82-83 there were changes in the diameter of the frame tube where a pogo spring assembly goes. There are three sprung seats I would consider 1) Buddy seat 2) Pogo solo 3) Comfort flex. They all use the pogo spring. I have heard that and earlier modle will mount up as long as the you do some welding at the bottom of the tube to install the a cup to bolt the pogo too. I talked to Tedds V-twin to get the diameter of the different pogo's they sell, I have not heard back. Any help will greatly appreciated!
    Thanks

1980 was the last year that the FL frame was fitted for a seat post. There are two bushings in the frame seat tube, as well as a grease fitting and a socket at the bottom of the tube into which the end of the seat post fits. Outfitting your frame for a seat post will require a bit of machining, and maybe replacement of all or part of the seat tube in the frame.

Jim

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Can you post a pic of your bike as it is now??????

I was under the impression that a pogo assembly for a early model possibly a WL would fit. I tried to get the diameter of the pogo's that Tedd's V-Twin sells but that seems to be a question they had never heard before.
    I can post but may be a few days.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by waltr View Post
    I was under the impression that a pogo assembly for a early model possibly a WL would fit. I tried to get the diameter of the pogo's that Tedd's V-Twin sells but that seems to be a question they had never heard before.
    I don't think a WL will work...... But what do I know???????

I can post but may be a few days.
    Seat posts run in BUSHINGS in the frame seat tube. They are not self contained like you seem to think.

Jim

So I am looking for the outside diameter of the bushings then.

You have to have a frame tube that will accept bushings to start with. That is why I pointed out that you may have to replace part or all of the seat post tube in your frame. (And for anything other than the bear trap seat, you need the seat tee pivot tabs on the top tube of the frame. )

Jim

Get Adobe Flash player

The first thing you need to do is post some pics of your frame with the seat off..... So we can see what your dealing with..... But take some pics of the bike like it is first.....

At this point all we can do is guess..........

Get Adobe Flash player

I have a Teds pogo assembly. I will measure it tomorrow and post the dimensions if that will help but as said, semi major fabrication to go back to pre 1980 seat post. Pogo's are dam nice ride though.

Check out the seat airbags used on police bikes. They are just a couple inches tall and could easily be modified to fit where the exposed part of the pogo used to go.
    I have an old panhead seat hinge between the tanks and two of the airbags where the pogo would be. I attached a tiny bicycle pump under the seat with a gauge on it. I run it about 20 psi, but I can adjust it easily with a few pumps, or release some pressure with a button on the pump, all while riding.

Get Adobe Flash player

I have been going through a 1983 FLH 80 that I bought in February. The bike bike had a Mustang seat that i FIND IMPOSSIBLE TO RIDE over 40 mi without tailbone pain/ I installed a solo LePera and it is better.
    You know something, I have been thinking about this since you posted it....... I think you need to harden up...... A 83 FLH is a comfortable riding bike...... I rode a stock 78 FX which is the same bike to Sturgis... No pogo seat....

Get out and ride that's the best way to make it feel like it's riding softer........
    Last edited by Tattooo; 08-08-2019 at 6:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tattooo View Post
    You know something, I have been thinking about this since you posted it....... I think you need to harden up...... A 83 FLH is a comfortable riding bike...... I rode a stock 78 FX which is the same bike to Sturgis... No pogo seat....

Get out and ride that's the best way to make it feel like it's riding softer........
    My 8o and 81 Tour Glides were the only bikes I have owned with sprung seats. I like to sit taller, it's not about if I am tough enough to put miles on.

I just found out that Mustang has a number of solo wide and taller saddles, even though if you do a search on their website they say nothing available. I may be one of the few out there that like a comfort flex seat but a POGO just looks right/

Get Adobe Flash player

I like to sit taller, it's not about if I am tough enough to put miles on.
    Didn't you write this in your first post??????

i FIND IMPOSSIBLE TO RIDE over 40 mi without tailbone pain.
    Last edited by Tattooo; 08-08-2019 at 12:12 PM.

Thanks for all the help Tattoo. Let me unzip so we can compare.

Get Adobe Flash player

Thanks for all the help Tattoo. Let me unzip so we can compare.
    No need I'm just going by what you say....... I learned a long time ago not to assume anything........ If you don't mean something don't say it.......

Because all we have to go by is what we are told when we are trying and help people with problems.......

So I guess you don't like POGO seats? To each his own.

Get Adobe Flash player

So I guess you don't like POGO seats? To each his own.
    Nope your wrong, I love them........ I'm just saying that they aren't needed to have a great riding bike.....

This is my Dixie Queen that I built......
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Red50Panhead.jpg  
    Last edited by Tattooo; 08-08-2019 at 5:59 PM.

Get Adobe Flash player

Now since were talking about how bikes ride...... Here is a pic on my Knuck....... It rides as smooth as anything that I have ever ridden....... Go figure?????? Does it look like it would ride smooth???

It has everything to do with how it's set up......
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Knuckle1.jpg  

Get Adobe Flash player

i FIND IMPOSSIBLE TO RIDE over 40 mi without tailbone pain.
    Many (self included) Old Fucks will have lower back pain even those seats can't compensate for. Spinal stenosis, sciatica, etc sucks.

HD classic rear suspension geometry is poor (why do you think those elaborate seat suspensions were offered in the first place?) and suspension harshness is imposed by that geometry which mandates short travel, end of story. Extremely old designs look great but if that's all one rides it's possible to lose perspective.

I suggest sampling a variety of motorcyles, not just seats. If my medical issues make HDs untenable I'll choose a different main ride, perhaps drastically different like a supermoto.

Share This