Mobile ad top forum

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TriNortchopz
    • Dec 2017

using this diagram, I have found out what parts I need to match the set up of the right fork that has the damper rod set up.
    Make sure you are using the right model on Ronnie's site; not sure if changes between models, I just guessed and selected 883 Iron.
    If buildin' old school choppers was easy, anyone could do it... ain't nobody said it's gonna be easy...

Comment

• bikeMike
      • Jul 2019

Originally posted by TriNortchopz
      Make sure you are using the right model on Ronnie's site; not sure if changes between models, I just guessed and selected 883 Iron.
      Yessir, I changed the model to my specific model. Very subtle differences but differences none the less.

For all wondering what application this is going towards, this is a 2016 sportster 72.

Comment

• bikeMike
        • Jul 2019

Originally posted by AlbertaFarmer
        Didn't see the link. It certainly looks like spring collar is another way of saying spacer. Newcastle HD want's eight something for it, but you can just use a piece of PVC pipe.
        Thank you sir. will see if someone can confirm this conclusion at HD

Comment

• bikeMike
          • Jul 2019

Originally posted by AlbertaFarmer
          Something that occurred to me: Depending on the miles on your forks, replacing just one main spring may not be ideal. If your one side is broken in, and the new one is factory stiff, it might cause some funny handling. I don't know, just something to think about.
          Oh yeah, that is a good point. Currently, the bike has 10k on it. Definitely enough to break in the springs. Maybe Ill just take it real easy after installation if everything goes right to let them break in. Thank you for your input

Comment

• AlbertaFarmer
            • Sep 2013

Yeah, probably won't give you any trouble. Good luck, man.

Comment

• farmall
              • Apr 2013

Thank you sir. will see if someone can confirm this conclusion at HD
              The drawing confirms it by showing the part and location (nomenclature isn't always function, it should have been called a spacer) and PVC spring spacers have been used to set spring preload long before Evo engines existed. Progressive includes them in many HD kits.

Last edited by farmall; 08-08-2019, 10:43 AM.

Comment

• bikeMike
                • Jul 2019

Originally posted by farmall
                The drawing confirms it by showing the part and location (nomenclature isn't always function, it should have been called a spacer) and PVC spring spacers have been used to set spring preload long before Evo engines existed. Progressive includes them in many HD kits.

http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche....ORK%20ASSEMBLY
                you are 100% correct. Parts worker at HD also confirmed this for me. Thank you all for the generous feedback.

The total for the fork cap, oil lock, both springs and damper rod was $133 at the HD here in north Texas. Granted, the part man, and the diagram says that there are two damper rods in my fork assembly. We'll see if the cartridge side has a damper rod in it. If so, then i can return the damper rod. Also might be able to use the same fork cap, and oil lock, but i bought them just to be safe because i can return them without a restocking fee because they aren't a special order. I'd rather have all parts that may be needed since they need to be ordered, then to take it all apart and get stopped by an oil lock.

I'll be taking it apart once HD calls and lets me know that they've arrived.

Comment

• bikeMike
                  • Jul 2019

Should I use the pre-existing spacer AND the spacer included in the TC bros +8 kit, or just the TC bros spacer?

Comment

• farmall
                    • Apr 2013

I'd ask TC Bros! Not enough people use tech support but makers want happy customers.

Comment

• bikeMike
                      • Jul 2019

FINAL UPDATE!

+8" tubes are on and working perfectly! Buying the internals needed that matched the right side to make it non-cartridge was a success. tubes were easy. The only road block was getting the oil screw out from the bottom of the fork. No impact wrench could get it out, so I drilled them both out.

I also just threw the spacer provided in the kit into the fork and it works enough, but it would run a lot better with longer spacers for preload.
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	20190829_170430.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	295.3 KB
ID:	1312943

Name:	20190829_170447.jpg
Size:	297.6 KB
ID:	1312944

Name:	20190829_193029.jpg
Size:	300.0 KB
ID:	1312945

Comment

• AlbertaFarmer
                        • Sep 2013

Glad to see you got it on the road, man. Looks cool to me.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                        Working...
                        ;