CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    19

    Default 39mm fork internal

    So I was ready to extend my forks on my 2016 sportster. Waited patiently for the mail to get my +8 kit from TC Bros. I'm wondering why it says it only fits 39mm forks up to 2015. Cause what could possibly change where the tubes couldn't fit right??? Well, theres a reason they say that. Open up the forks... And there's a cartridge in one of them! Find out, new Sportsters have a cartridge in one fork and spring/damper set up in the other.

    So now, to get past the road block, where should I go to find fork internals so I can slap this kit on? Somewhere cheap would be nice. One fork internal set up would be even nicer! Any ideas?

  2. #2
    Senior Member

    Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

    Get Adobe Flash player


    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    12,392

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bikeMike View Post
    So I was ready to extend my forks on my 2016 sportster. Waited patiently for the mail to get my +8 kit from TC Bros. I'm wondering why it says it only fits 39mm forks up to 2015. Cause what could possibly change where the tubes couldn't fit right??? Well, theres a reason they say that. Open up the forks... And there's a cartridge in one of them! Find out, new Sportsters have a cartridge in one fork and spring/damper set up in the other.

    So now, to get past the road block, where should I go to find fork internals so I can slap this kit on? Somewhere cheap would be nice. One fork internal set up would be even nicer! Any ideas?
    Why didn't you order the correct tubes for your bike???

    Now you know why it said it didn't fit your year bike..... Hope you learned a lesson?????
    Last edited by Tattooo; 08-06-2019 at 8:42 PM.

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tattooo View Post
    Why didn't you order the correct tubes for your bike???

    Now you know why it said it didn't fit your year bike..... Hope you learned a lesson?????
    well, the tubes themselves fit. the seals fit. Ideally, the kits fits... only on the fork without the cartridge kit inside.

    There isn't actually a "kit" on the market that I can find where the fork can be extended with a cartridge kit inside of it. I dont have pictures or a diagram to help explain but the top of the cartridge goes into a notch that is into the bottom of the fork cap

  4. #4
    Senior Member

    Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

    Get Adobe Flash player


    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    2,776

    Default

    Oh look, this has been discussed here before:

    2018 Thread: 6 over fork installation

    Sportychops:
    "Installed everything finally. Ran into a couple snags. 2016 Sportster XL883N models have a cartridge damper (kind of like a sport bike set up) on the left fork, whereas the right fork has the traditional damper tube. After looking through older Sportster model manuals, I found that up to 2015 (I think) they used traditional damper on both sides. So, I purchased all the right side internals from HD and installed it on the left side...I just ordered right side internals and slapped them in there. Worked like a charm. I think it was $200 bucks for everything -- internals, seals, bushings, etc. "

    http://www.chopcult.com/forum/showthread.php?t=51109

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TriNortchopz View Post
    Oh look, this has been discussed here before:

    2018 Thread: 6 over fork installation

    Sportychops:
    "Installed everything finally. Ran into a couple snags. 2016 Sportster XL883N models have a cartridge damper (kind of like a sport bike set up) on the left fork, whereas the right fork has the traditional damper tube. After looking through older Sportster model manuals, I found that up to 2015 (I think) they used traditional damper on both sides. So, I purchased all the right side internals from HD and installed it on the left side...I just ordered right side internals and slapped them in there. Worked like a charm. I think it was $200 bucks for everything -- internals, seals, bushings, etc. "

    http://www.chopcult.com/forum/showthread.php?t=51109
    Thank you kind sir!

  6. #6
    Senior Member

    Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

    Get Adobe Flash player


    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    512

    Default

    $200 is a tough pill to swallow. If your not in a rush, you could look for a fully set up 39mm front end. Take what you need and sell the rest on Ebay. That seems to be the best place to sell very specific parts like you will end up with. Might even be able to swap what you've got and make the old model front end a complete fit for a 2015+. Maybe even make a couple bucks if you get lucky picking up the front end. If I can get a complete 39mm front end for $400 in Canada, it shouldn't be too bad South of the line?

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AlbertaFarmer View Post
    $200 is a tough pill to swallow. If your not in a rush, you could look for a fully set up 39mm front end. Take what you need and sell the rest on Ebay. That seems to be the best place to sell very specific parts like you will end up with. Might even be able to swap what you've got and make the old model front end a complete fit for a 2015+. Maybe even make a couple bucks if you get lucky picking up the front end. If I can get a complete 39mm front end for $400 in Canada, it shouldn't be too bad South of the line?
    yeah, I had the same idea..

    As of now im sitting on tubes, spacers and fork seal kit, which is what comes with the TC bros kit. I want to say that the only things i need is the damper rod, damper spring, and the main spring

  8. #8
    Senior Member

    Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

    Get Adobe Flash player


    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    2,776

    Default

    I dont have pictures or a diagram to help explain but the top of the cartridge goes into a notch that is into the bottom of the fork cap
    2016 XL:

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HD16XL040.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	45.7 KB 
ID:	96111
    http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche....ORK%20ASSEMBLY

    2015 XL:

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HD15XL037.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	52.7 KB 
ID:	96112
    http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche....ORK%20ASSEMBLY
    Last edited by TriNortchopz; 08-06-2019 at 10:12 PM. Reason: microfiche

  9. #9
    Senior Member

    Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

    Get Adobe Flash player


    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    512

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bikeMike View Post
    yeah, I had the same idea..

    As of now im sitting on tubes, spacers and fork seal kit, which is what comes with the TC bros kit. I want to say that the only things i need is the damper rod, damper spring, and the main spring
    For springs, it wouldn't hurt to upgrade to a set of progressives or race tech. I've got the progressives and they made a noticeable improvement, even at 12 over. I checked out Ebay, not a lot in the way of second hand parts your after. There are a lot of sellers offering a complete "kit". So, money wise:

    Fork damper tube Kit by V-Twin - $115 (Includes 2 damper tubes, 2 damper tube springs, caps, washers, retainer clips)

    Progressive Springs, from Revzilla - $97

    Your looking at $212 before tax and shipping. But, that get's you a nice little upgrade in the springs. Might be able to find the parts you need second hand, but it's a waiting game. I can't recall seeing many damper tubes at the swap meets up this way. That $212 is more or less gone, as you won't have anything valuable left over to sell. What does a complete 39mm front end run where your at?

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    19

    Default

    Thank you. this saved me a trip to HD to get the same info

  11. #11

    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AlbertaFarmer View Post
    For springs, it wouldn't hurt to upgrade to a set of progressives or race tech. I've got the progressives and they made a noticeable improvement, even at 12 over. I checked out Ebay, not a lot in the way of second hand parts your after. There are a lot of sellers offering a complete "kit". So, money wise:

    Fork damper tube Kit by V-Twin - $115 (Includes 2 damper tubes, 2 damper tube springs, caps, washers, retainer clips)

    Progressive Springs, from Revzilla - $97

    Your looking at $212 before tax and shipping. But, that get's you a nice little upgrade in the springs. Might be able to find the parts you need second hand, but it's a waiting game. I can't recall seeing many damper tubes at the swap meets up this way. That $212 is more or less gone, as you won't have anything valuable left over to sell. What does a complete 39mm front end run where your at?
    That is a good point on the spings. Ill definitely keep that as an option.

    With a quick search and not too much digging for deals, Ive seen front ends as low as 280 w/ shipping off of early 90s sportsters. I'm gonna go up to the dealership after i compare the 2016 and 2015 diagrams and put together what i would need and get a quote. May buy the damper tube kit and progressive springs if it comes out to the same price. Ill keep yall posted.

  12. #12

    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    19

    Default

    [QUOTE=TriNortchopz;826291]2016 XL:

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HD16XL040.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	45.7 KB 
ID:	96111
    http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche....ORK%20ASSEMBLY

    using this diagram, I have found out what parts I need to match the set up of the right fork that has the damper rod set up.

    My last question before ordering the parts is what is the spring collar? Is it the same thing as a fork spacer?

    Also, using the pricing from Ronnies, the required pieces (fork cap, spring collar, spring, damper tube w/ ring, damper spring and oil lock), comes out to 111.44 before tax

  13. #13
    Senior Member

    Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

    Get Adobe Flash player


    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    512

    Default

    Something that occurred to me: Depending on the miles on your forks, replacing just one main spring may not be ideal. If your one side is broken in, and the new one is factory stiff, it might cause some funny handling. I don't know, just something to think about.

  14. #14
    Senior Member

    Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

    Get Adobe Flash player


    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    512

    Default

    Which part number from the diagram are they calling the spring collar?

  15. #15
    Senior Member

    Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

    Get Adobe Flash player


    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    512

    Default

    Didn't see the link. It certainly looks like spring collar is another way of saying spacer. Newcastle HD want's eight something for it, but you can just use a piece of PVC pipe.

  16. #16
    Senior Member

    Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

    Get Adobe Flash player


    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    2,776

    Default

    using this diagram, I have found out what parts I need to match the set up of the right fork that has the damper rod set up.
    Make sure you are using the right model on Ronnie's site; not sure if changes between models, I just guessed and selected 883 Iron.

  17. #17

    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TriNortchopz View Post
    Make sure you are using the right model on Ronnie's site; not sure if changes between models, I just guessed and selected 883 Iron.
    Yessir, I changed the model to my specific model. Very subtle differences but differences none the less.

    For all wondering what application this is going towards, this is a 2016 sportster 72.

  18. #18

    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AlbertaFarmer View Post
    Didn't see the link. It certainly looks like spring collar is another way of saying spacer. Newcastle HD want's eight something for it, but you can just use a piece of PVC pipe.
    Thank you sir. will see if someone can confirm this conclusion at HD

  19. #19

    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AlbertaFarmer View Post
    Something that occurred to me: Depending on the miles on your forks, replacing just one main spring may not be ideal. If your one side is broken in, and the new one is factory stiff, it might cause some funny handling. I don't know, just something to think about.
    Oh yeah, that is a good point. Currently, the bike has 10k on it. Definitely enough to break in the springs. Maybe Ill just take it real easy after installation if everything goes right to let them break in. Thank you for your input

  20. #20
    Senior Member

    Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

    Get Adobe Flash player


    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    512

    Default

    Yeah, probably won't give you any trouble. Good luck, man.

Share This



Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in