CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Default 1999 softail rear hub width?

Anyone happen to know the rear hub width for a 1999 fxst? I am building a bobber on a kraft tech frame and ordered a 18x5.5 40 spoke rear wheel from ride wright and the axle spacer that came with the axle kit on the frame seems too long for the hub on the wheel(wheel doesn't sit center of the frame) the ride wright wheel has the sealed bearings like a 2000 and up wheel. Just trying to figure out if this thing is going to work. The measurement I'm getting on this hub width is like 7 and 3/16.

Quote Originally Posted by ArmoredDucky View Post
    Anyone happen to know the rear hub width for a 1999 fxst? I am building a bobber on a kraft tech frame and ordered a 18x5.5 40 spoke rear wheel from ride wright and the axle spacer that came with the axle kit on the frame seems too long for the hub on the wheel(wheel doesn't sit center of the frame) the ride wright wheel has the sealed bearings like a 2000 and up wheel. Just trying to figure out if this thing is going to work. The measurement I'm getting on this hub width is like 7 and 3/16.
    I don’t know the width, but I can tell you that you will most always have to measure and cut (or order) the correct spacers. CENTER your rear wheel. Go to the good ol hardware store and get you a stack of 3/4 washers. Use those to get the spacing correct where your wheel is centered. You also have to make sure your rear rotor is in the center of your caliper. You can always use spacers or offsets on your wheel sprocket to line up your chain. When it’s mocked up with your washers you can then order or cut the correct spacers. That the only way to get it 100percent correct. And the easiest. Out of the box spacers never work.

Thanks for the reply, that's some good advice.

I'm struggling with getting the wheel centered to the backbone of the frame. I ran a string from the center of the neck back to the center of tire then using a sliding square as a plumb straightedge to measure from the outside edge of the backbone tube to the string. This sound about right?

I've got it pretty close. How dead on does the tire need to be centered?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	15652362924567168768448517809273.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	284.6 KB 
ID:	96149

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by ArmoredDucky View Post
    I've got it pretty close. How dead on does the tire need to be centered?
    It doesn't have to be centered........ Just close.....

Share This