CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search
Page 1 of 4 123 ... Last
    littledill

Default Why does my bike just not feel, solid?

My bike (modified 2002 Sportster ) just does not feel solid at higher speeds 65 +.
    I have checked all the obvious things, neck bearings, wheel bearings, I had the rear wheel recently re-aligned and put new tires on it.
    It is 6 over with stock rack and I run narrow h bars but, I see guys riding that setup and running highway speeds with no issues.

Is there anything else I should check or try?

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Your courage, naw with 6 over and stock rake your riding high. If 19" or taller front wheel, that also figures in.

Get Adobe Flash player

Some people aren't as comfortable riding on the edge as others are......

I've never been afraid of riding anything...... But some of those jacked up bikes sure look stupid to me..........

Get Adobe Flash player

I don't totally understand all there is to know about rake, but if he is running a 6 over does that not change his rake? Just saying, plus doesn't that change the center of gravity on the bike, and add more weight to the rear end, which in turn lightens the front end, which can equate to a wobbly front end, try leaning forward at speed and see if it feels more solid, if it does I would slide those 6 overs up through the trees a bit to put some more weight forward, however; if you are dead set on that extended front end then you may have to live with it, its kind of like putting slammer shocks on a bike then complaining about the harsh ride, if you want a cool looking bike there will be trade offs.

Get Adobe Flash player

I don't know, something sounds off there. I don't think trouble at speed can reasonably be attributed to the 6 overs.

I've got 12 overs on a stock rake 2000 Sportster, and it became noticeably more solid at speed. No hands at 80mph no trouble. I've run the 12 overs with 10.5" struts, 13.5" stock shocks and currently have 15" Progressives in the rear. The 10.5" struts made the angle very extreme, but it still rode rock solid at anything over a crawl. Hell, there was a kid on here with 16" overs and slammers on the rear, and he said it rode fine. Low speed stuff is certainly more demanding than with a stock front end.

Is your wheel known to be true?
    Mag or spokes?
    Frame is straight?
    Tires balanced?
    Swingarm bearings good?
    What about your forks? Proper amount of fluid, good springs, preload etc.
    What kind of tires? In my experience, Speedmasters or similar "vintage" tires do not hold the road well at all.

Could you elaborate any on what the bike is doing to feel not solid? I think this is a problem that can be solved.

My '98 rigid mount with 6 overs and 21" front wheel tracks perfectly straight and stable over 20 mph, 'look ma no hands' kinda stable. Even on twisty roads in the Rockies she handled 60 mph sweepers with just one hand on the bars. Have you checked your swingarm... if you have spoked wheels have you checked them to ensure all spokes are tight? Those things are often neglected/overlooked.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TeXtmY7PfE0&t=1m38s
    I included the time stamp in the URL of the link above so it should take you to the correct part of the vid.

Get Adobe Flash player

Well, I feel like we are guessing at what you mean by "doesnt feel solid". does it wobble? does it wander? Does it shake? etc......

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by bobberadam View Post
    Well, I feel like we are guessing at what you mean by "doesnt feel solid". does it wobble? does it wander? Does it shake? etc......
    Yep I'm wondering the same thing..... I'm still wondering like I said in my first post here..... Some people aren't as comfortable riding on the edge as others are......

How long has the OP been riding???

Get Adobe Flash player

Is it the same 6 over Sportster you tried to sell here two weeks ago? You know, the one that "runs perfect".

Get Adobe Flash player

http://www.chopcult.com/littledill/classifieds/154188/
    There he is trying to sell a "great condition" 6 over Sportster. No wonder the dude wants to ship it.

"ride it across country today" but you forgot to mention under 65mph. That's fucked man. If it's another bike, I apologize. But you seem like a one Sportster kind of guy. I went far enough in your posts to see you asking for a trip planning app to ride 212 miles. Then I saw you welcoming people to the world of choppers. Seems about right. How can a guy like you sleep at night? You'd gladly take somebodies $3400 and send them a wobbly death trap.
    Last edited by AlbertaFarmer; 08-07-2019 at 9:41 AM.

littledill

Quote Originally Posted by Tattooo View Post
    Yep I'm wondering the same thing..... I'm still wondering like I said in my first post here..... Some people aren't as comfortable riding on the edge as others are......

How long has the OP been riding???
    I’ve been riding over 5 years. Maybe I need more saddle time at highway speeds.

littledill

Quote Originally Posted by AlbertaFarmer View Post
    Is it the same 6 over Sportster you tried to sell here two weeks ago? You know, the one that "runs perfect".

Different one brother

littledill

Quote Originally Posted by bobberadam View Post
    It’s hard to describe it just tends to wander and has a slight wobble. Doesn’t shake anymore than. Any other Harley I’ve had ridden

littledill

Quote Originally Posted by AlbertaFarmer View Post
    http://www.chopcult.com/littledill/classifieds/154188/
    There he is trying to sell a "great condition" 6 over Sportster. No wonder the dude wants to ship it.

"ride it across country today" but you forgot to mention under 65mph. That's fucked man. If it's another bike, I apologize. But you seem like a one Sportster kind of guy. I went far enough in your posts to see you asking for a trip planning app to ride 212 miles. Then I saw you welcoming people to the world of choppers. Seems about right. How can a guy like you sleep at night? You'd gladly take somebodies $3400 and send them a wobbly death trap.
    Thanks for your concern and detective work

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by littledill View Post
    Thanks for your detective work
    He's one of the best that I have seen..........

Get Adobe Flash player

Different one brother
    Any pics of the problem ride?

Get Adobe Flash player

Different one brother
    I'm sure as hell not your brother. Why don't you put up a picture of you and your two 02 Sportsters with six over front ends and narrow H bars? You do that and I will delete all my posts in this thread and replace them with an apology.

littledill

Is this sufficient enough for the internet lords?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8327.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	205.3 KB 
ID:	96119

Get Adobe Flash player

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8327.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	205.3 KB 
ID:	96119
    Hell I see your problem with it not riding solid as you call it.......... It shouldn't..........

littledill

Quote Originally Posted by Tattooo View Post
    Hell I see your problem with it not riding solid as you call it.......... It shouldn't..........
    Basically, if I want a highway bike, keep it stock?

Share This