Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • littledill
    • Apr 2024

Why does my bike just not feel, solid?

My bike (modified 2002 Sportster ) just does not feel solid at higher speeds 65 +.
    I have checked all the obvious things, neck bearings, wheel bearings, I had the rear wheel recently re-aligned and put new tires on it.
    It is 6 over with stock rack and I run narrow h bars but, I see guys riding that setup and running highway speeds with no issues.

Is there anything else I should check or try?
  • BuddhahoodVato
    • Apr 2010

Your courage, naw with 6 over and stock rake your riding high. If 19" or taller front wheel, that also figures in.

Comment

• Tattooo
      • Sep 2012

Some people aren't as comfortable riding on the edge as others are......

I've never been afraid of riding anything...... But some of those jacked up bikes sure look stupid to me..........

Comment

• 7and7is
        • Dec 2012

I don't totally understand all there is to know about rake, but if he is running a 6 over does that not change his rake? Just saying, plus doesn't that change the center of gravity on the bike, and add more weight to the rear end, which in turn lightens the front end, which can equate to a wobbly front end, try leaning forward at speed and see if it feels more solid, if it does I would slide those 6 overs up through the trees a bit to put some more weight forward, however; if you are dead set on that extended front end then you may have to live with it, its kind of like putting slammer shocks on a bike then complaining about the harsh ride, if you want a cool looking bike there will be trade offs.

Comment

• AlbertaFarmer
          • Sep 2013

I don't know, something sounds off there. I don't think trouble at speed can reasonably be attributed to the 6 overs.

I've got 12 overs on a stock rake 2000 Sportster, and it became noticeably more solid at speed. No hands at 80mph no trouble. I've run the 12 overs with 10.5" struts, 13.5" stock shocks and currently have 15" Progressives in the rear. The 10.5" struts made the angle very extreme, but it still rode rock solid at anything over a crawl. Hell, there was a kid on here with 16" overs and slammers on the rear, and he said it rode fine. Low speed stuff is certainly more demanding than with a stock front end.

Is your wheel known to be true?
          Mag or spokes?
          Frame is straight?
          Tires balanced?
          Swingarm bearings good?
          What about your forks? Proper amount of fluid, good springs, preload etc.
          What kind of tires? In my experience, Speedmasters or similar "vintage" tires do not hold the road well at all.

Could you elaborate any on what the bike is doing to feel not solid? I think this is a problem that can be solved.

Comment

• Skjoll
            • Oct 2018

My '98 rigid mount with 6 overs and 21" front wheel tracks perfectly straight and stable over 20 mph, 'look ma no hands' kinda stable. Even on twisty roads in the Rockies she handled 60 mph sweepers with just one hand on the bars. Have you checked your swingarm... if you have spoked wheels have you checked them to ensure all spokes are tight? Those things are often neglected/overlooked.

Death wobble @70 mph 2012 sportster 72' with 10,000 miles on it.

I included the time stamp in the URL of the link above so it should take you to the correct part of the vid.

Comment

• bobberadam
              • Jan 2011

Well, I feel like we are guessing at what you mean by "doesnt feel solid". does it wobble? does it wander? Does it shake? etc......

Comment

• Tattooo
                • Sep 2012

Originally posted by bobberadam
                Well, I feel like we are guessing at what you mean by "doesnt feel solid". does it wobble? does it wander? Does it shake? etc......
                Yep I'm wondering the same thing..... I'm still wondering like I said in my first post here..... Some people aren't as comfortable riding on the edge as others are......

How long has the OP been riding???

Comment

• AlbertaFarmer
                  • Sep 2013

Is it the same 6 over Sportster you tried to sell here two weeks ago? You know, the one that "runs perfect".

Comment

• AlbertaFarmer
                    • Sep 2013

ChopCult is the online mecca for motorcycle enthusiasts, with active, content-rich forums covering all makes and models of motorcycles, exclusive articles.

There he is trying to sell a "great condition" 6 over Sportster. No wonder the dude wants to ship it.

"ride it across country today" but you forgot to mention under 65mph. That's fucked man. If it's another bike, I apologize. But you seem like a one Sportster kind of guy. I went far enough in your posts to see you asking for a trip planning app to ride 212 miles. Then I saw you welcoming people to the world of choppers. Seems about right. How can a guy like you sleep at night? You'd gladly take somebodies $3400 and send them a wobbly death trap.
                    Last edited by AlbertaFarmer; 08-07-2019, 9:41 AM.

Comment

• littledill
                      • Apr 2024

Originally posted by Tattooo
                      Yep I'm wondering the same thing..... I'm still wondering like I said in my first post here..... Some people aren't as comfortable riding on the edge as others are......

How long has the OP been riding???
                      I’ve been riding over 5 years. Maybe I need more saddle time at highway speeds.

Comment

• littledill
                        • Apr 2024

Originally posted by AlbertaFarmer
                        Is it the same 6 over Sportster you tried to sell here two weeks ago? You know, the one that "runs perfect".

Different one brother

Comment

• littledill
                          • Apr 2024

Originally posted by bobberadam
                          It’s hard to describe it just tends to wander and has a slight wobble. Doesn’t shake anymore than. Any other Harley I’ve had ridden

Comment

• littledill
                            • Apr 2024

Originally posted by AlbertaFarmer
                            http://www.chopcult.com/littledill/classifieds/154188/
                            There he is trying to sell a "great condition" 6 over Sportster. No wonder the dude wants to ship it.

"ride it across country today" but you forgot to mention under 65mph. That's fucked man. If it's another bike, I apologize. But you seem like a one Sportster kind of guy. I went far enough in your posts to see you asking for a trip planning app to ride 212 miles. Then I saw you welcoming people to the world of choppers. Seems about right. How can a guy like you sleep at night? You'd gladly take somebodies $3400 and send them a wobbly death trap.
                            Thanks for your concern and detective work

Comment

• Tattooo
                              • Sep 2012

Originally posted by littledill
                              Thanks for your detective work
                              He's one of the best that I have seen..........

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...
                              ;