CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search
Page 2 of 4 First 1234 Last

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

First thing to check and easiest to fix if it's a problem is tire pressure. I just mention it 'cause it hasn't been mentioned yet. I tend to run mine a little hard, rather than softer for a smoother ride like some of the rigid guys do.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by littledill View Post
    Basically, if I want a highway bike, keep it stock?
    Nope....... Not that at all....... I ride this on the highway...........
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Knuckle1.jpg  

littledill

Quote Originally Posted by Tattooo View Post
    So just get used to it and don't expect an ultra glide ride

Get Adobe Flash player

So just get used to it and don't expect an ultra glide ride
    Yep....... And if you want my honest opinion...... Loose those handle bars...... They will handle like shit with your hands that close together at that angle.....

But you won't be as cool..... At this point you need to decide if you want it to ride good or look cool?????

littledill

Thanks, I think I will switch over to some mini apes and see how it goes.

I guess I will be able to sleep at night

Get Adobe Flash player

None of this makes any sense. You had a 2000 with a 6 over that "ran perfect" and now your willing to believe that a bike set up remarkably similar is not capable of highway speeds. You've clearly got something wrong, good luck sorting it out.

Get Adobe Flash player

Back to my theory, I notice you have forward controls, surly this has you leaning back (some) maybe some mid controls would give you a more forward position, pushing some of your weight forward, and I would still slide those 6 overs up through the trees about an inch, what can it hurt, if it doesn't resolve the issue slide them back.

littledill

Quote Originally Posted by AlbertaFarmer View Post
    None of this makes any sense. You had a 2000 with a 6 over that "ran perfect" and now your willing to believe that a bike set up remarkably similar is not capable of highway speeds. You've clearly got something wrong, good luck sorting it out.
    You are still here?

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by 7and7is View Post
    Back to my theory, I notice you have forward controls, surly this has you leaning back (some) maybe some mid controls would give you a more forward position, pushing some of your weight forward, and I would still slide those 6 overs up through the trees about an inch, what can it hurt, if it doesn't resolve the issue slide them back.

Yea I noticed the forwards also..... I just figured he was tall????

And yes lowering the front end some to see if it helps would also be a good thing to try at this point..........

Get Adobe Flash player

You are still here?
    Still here, still don't believe you have two 02 Sportsters with 6 overs.

Get Adobe Flash player

"It is 6 over with stock rack " I guess you mean RAKE?
    What is important for your safety is the trail! Very important.

I personally would never ride that bike with the front of the bike that high in the air and not knowing the trail.
    It could kill someone. The bike being that high in the wind could significantly slow your bike down.

Get Adobe Flash player

Yeah, but that's a planned out build that was engineered to work. His isn't even a build... it's simply a 6-over front end that was stuck onto a stock rake/frame without any planning whatsoever. Nice bike there btw, Tattooo

Get Adobe Flash player

Evo Sporty swingarm pivots wear on the bushing side (HD cheaped out compared to Ironheads, perhaps the only downgrade). You won't necessarily feel it wiggling by hand but pull and inspect. That gets you a sideways hinge in the middle. They sell a lot of replacement kits for good reason.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by farmall View Post
    They sell a lot of replacement kits for good reason.
    Yes sir, That's for sure......

Hope your doing well Farm.........

Get Adobe Flash player

Well, I agree with a lot of what has been said but not all of it. There is no reason this bike should not feel solid at speed (55-75) unless there is something wrong with wheels/swingarm related items. My first thought was the swingarm bushings... I believe i have made my point known many times about how i feel about stock rake and that much over on fork tubes, it is going to most likely be ill handling, some people will say no (like Alberta farmer) but I think that has alot to do with how comfortable you are with riding a sketchy bike.... Pull it apart and check everything mechanical before you go changing anything that you like. I will say my opinion is even with everything considered that bike will never feel "solid". I do feel that "solid and ill handling are two different things.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by bobberadam View Post
    I will say my opinion is even with everything considered that bike will never feel "solid". I do feel that "solid and ill handling are two different things.

I for one would like to know what { it doesn't feel solid} mean???? You know exactly how does it feel in your hands, shoulders and ass?????

littledill

Thanks, I do no feel it or my last Sportster with 6 over were Ill handling, just not hands-off solid higher speed bikes.
    I will check the swingarm and consider going to stock tubes, thanks

littledill

I for one would like to know what { it doesn't feel solid} mean???? You know exactly how does it feel in your hands, shoulders and ass?????
    Thanks Tattooo, I feel it mostly in my arms and left leg. Like the bike is not tracking true and straight, but has sort of a drift to it. Like any weight adjustment or road groove, camber, bump, etc can throw my line off

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by AlbertaFarmer View Post
    I'm sure as hell not your brother. Why don't you put up a picture of you and your two 02 Sportsters with six over front ends and narrow H bars? You do that and I will delete all my posts in this thread and replace them with an apology.
    Check out his Forum Posts. He has pics up. Is it the same bike with some different parts?
    I can't tell.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by bobberadam View Post
    Well, I agree with a lot of what has been said but not all of it. There is no reason this bike should not feel solid at speed (55-75) unless there is something wrong with wheels/swingarm related items. My first thought was the swingarm bushings... I believe i have made my point known many times about how i feel about stock rake and that much over on fork tubes, it is going to most likely be ill handling, some people will say no (like Alberta farmer) but I think that has alot to do with how comfortable you are with riding a sketchy bike.... Pull it apart and check everything mechanical before you go changing anything that you like. I will say my opinion is even with everything considered that bike will never feel "solid". I do feel that "solid and ill handling are two different things.
    I don't disagree that these bikes will inevitably fall into the low speed, ill handling category. But I also think it's important to make the distinction between ill handling and solid at highway speed. It's quite difficult to make a u-turn from a stop. Practice all you like, and it's still top heavy and the wheel will want to "flop" all the way over. I believe a fork brace would help this a bit. But all those handling characteristics are unrelated to how it feels doing 70mph in a straight line. With my setup, you can be doing 70mph no hands, push one side of the handlebar, and it barely wobbles. It just wants to track that straight line. When I had a stock length front, it would wobble much more (still not bad) before returning to it's straight line. I've had it up in the Rockies here, and it takes more rider input, but still corners decent. Your also very correct on the riders comfort level. Some guys won't try different than stock grips on their Goldwing for fear of making it less safe, and some guys are happily riding straight up death traps. The only thing I can definitively say on longer than stock front ends and factory rake is that mine handles much better than I expected, after reading as much as I could find online. I don't encourage anybody to go longer than stock on a factory rake. I just offer my experience. Out of the half dozen guys I talked to before going longer, not one regretted going 10 or more over. But yeah, a scooter like bobberadam's or Tatooo's, is much more legit and desirable. I blow all my spare money on long distance trips, so I'm happy with my trailer park bike.

Share This