Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dnmccoy
    • Jul 2019

Help with possible shovelhead purchase

I have an evo sportster I thought about chopping, but I’ve been mulling the possibility of getting a shovelhead. What are going rates for 70s bikes in decent shape. I found one locally that’s a 75 Fx for $3900 which seemed kind of cheap.

What are the things to look for when I look at them? Mechanical ability is novice but I have the tools and at willing to learn
  • JBinNC
    • Dec 2018

I love shovelheads, but you need to know going in that a forty year old motorcycle based in an eighty year old design will not be as reliable or user friendly as your evo XL (which are really good bikes).

In my part of the South, shovels are still plentiful and prices are reasonable. Around $5K for a decent, presentable runner. Some people want as much for a rolling basket case, but good luck with that.

KNOW THIS: You are spending a decent chunk of money for the opportunity to spend even more money, maybe more than the initial purchase price.

I would look for a bike that is complete, and in service (current tag, good battery and tires, etc.) Any bike that is sitting unused usually has a reason for being out of service. That reason will usually require an expensive repair, that's why the bike is sitting.

The motor should be (relatively) quiet and free of knocks and rattles. If it has drag pipes like so many do, you can hold rags at the ends of the pipes with it idling to quiet it, and listen to the motor. The motor should be free of bad oil leaks, but some seeping of oil will not be unusual. The clutch should disengage cleanly so it doesn't grind when engaging first, and the transmission should shift through all gears cleanly, both up and down. The brakes should operate normally, but may not be as good as what you are used to. The bike should go straight down the road and ideally hold a line with your hands off the bars, although most shovels I've had drift right or left, but not severely. On split tank models, look for tan stains on the rocker boxes, indicating a fuel leak from a cracked tank, which is COMMON. If you can bring along a voltmeter, check that the alternator is charging.

And last certainly not least, if you are planning a chop or other configuration, choose a bike that is closest to your final vision. All components on shovels are easily swapped, but changing front ends and sheet metal, etc. adds to the project's expense.

Jim

Comment

• Skjoll
      • Oct 2018

What are the reasons for wanting a Shovelhead vs a Blockhead Sporty? IMO too many people overly romanticized older motorcycles without honestly considering the pros and cons.

Comment

• DoomBuggy
        • Oct 2016

I don't disagree about overly romanticizing old bikes, but as a Panhead owner I have to say there is a certain visceral, primitive pleasure in riding these old bikes. Yes, you better be able to do regular maintenance, and either be mechanically inclined or have a pocketbook large enough to hire someone who is when they break.

But riding an evo or blockhead is a totally different experience. I had on '08 Ultra and honestly really never bonded with it. The Pan(s) and Ironhead that I have owned on the other hand just felt right. The smell, the oil dripping, the kick start ritual, all of it contributes to being connected to the past. ( I guess, lol )

Comment

• rockman96
          • May 2018

Whatever you buy, make sure it's titled and the paperwork is straight.

Comment

• Pliers
            • Feb 2018

They can be a real money pit. Ive got more cash sunk into mine than what i paid for it. I knew going in it would be that way. These old shovels are a ton of fun but once you start modifying, rebuilding etc, you'll probably never get your money back out of it. Just something to be aware of...though I don't regret it in my case

Comment

• dnmccoy
              • Jul 2019

Honestly, is there any bike that once you start plinking money into it your sure to get it back? Most of the people I know that have built cars and bikes sink way more into them than market value. For me its more of a project and something to keep a single dad busy during his free time

Comment

• Tattooo
                • Sep 2012

Originally posted by dnmccoy
                Honestly, is there any bike that once you start plinking money into it your sure to get it back? Most of the people I know that have built cars and bikes sink way more into them than market value.
                It all depends on your level of skills and how much you can do yourself....... I can't remember any bike or car that I lost money on that I built or restored...... Now I'm not including labor cost just parts and the initial purchase price.............

Comment

• Tattooo
                  • Sep 2012

Honestly, For me its more of a project and something to keep a single dad busy during his free time
                  That's what it's all about.......

Comment

• JBinNC
                    • Dec 2018

Originally posted by Tattooo
                    It all depends on your level of skills and how much you can do yourself....... I can't remember any bike or car that I lost money on that I built or restored...... Now I'm not including labor cost just parts and the initial purchase price.............
                    That is why I do not "build" motorcycles, in over 30 years in the business.

Jim

Comment

• Tattooo
                      • Sep 2012

Originally posted by JBinNC
                      That is why I do not "build" motorcycles, in over 30 years in the business.

Jim
                      I'm sure you have the skills.... Are you saying you don't restore or build basket cases?????

Comment

• JBinNC
                        • Dec 2018

Originally posted by Tattooo
                        I'm sure you have the skills.... Are you saying you don't restore or build basket cases?????
                        If you want to get paid anything for your labor, it's just not reasonable to do so. I help others with their projects, build motors and other bench work, do wiring harnesses, and other specialty work that requires the special tools, machining, etc. I used to do a lot of race prep as well. Keeps me plenty busy.

Jim

Comment

• Tattooo
                          • Sep 2012

Originally posted by JBinNC
                          If you want to get paid anything for your labor, Jim
                          Yea I generally do make up the labor money in the end....... Like the bike below I kept up with every dime I spent on it.... In the end I figured up I had $4356.00 in it....... And to top it off that was in 2008 not 1985 LOL. It's for damn sure it's worth way more than that now....LOL
                          Attached Files

Comment

• Pliers
                            • Feb 2018

Honestly, is there any bike that once you start plinking money into it your sure to get it back? Most of the people I know that have built cars and bikes sink way more into them than market value. For me its more of a project and something to keep a single dad busy during his free time
                            I hear you, and Jim and Tattooo make good points. I was just saying its easy to tie a bunch dough up in a short time....i love working on my bike and dont regret a penny, but Ive spent a few...

Comment

• farmall
                              • Apr 2013

Harley models exist to suit any desire. The early Evo Wide Glides are essentially Shovels with an Evo engine. Evo Softails can make very nice customs which have classic looks.

I like my Shovels as secondary bikes but I bought an Evo first and would do so if I started over.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...
                              ;