CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search
Page 2 of 2 First 12

I dont know that I need all top end. Most of my riding is country roads and around town. Id like to make some cross state trips as some point, so reliability would be nice

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by dnmccoy View Post
    Id like to make some cross state trips as some point, so reliability would be nice
    If that's what your looking to do???? Don't fuck with your motor........ Leave it stock if you can.........

Quote Originally Posted by Tattooo View Post
    If that's what your looking to do???? Don't fuck with your motor........ Leave it stock if you can.........
    He mentioned performance. I told him how to do it. Now he's not interested. Yes, higher HP motors wear out faster, but they are more fun.

Jim

I’m just in the spitballing stage right now. I have a bike to get me from A to B, I’m just trying to figure out what I wanna dive into this winter. I’m still learning , always willing to listen to folks with more experience

I’m just in the spitballing stage right now. I have a bike to get me from A to B, I’m just trying to figure out what I wanna dive into this winter. I’m still learning , always willing to listen to folks with more experience
    And that is why I respond to questions, and try to do so in an honest way. I do not respond to questions for which I have nothing to contribute, and I certainly do not care if or how anyone makes use of what I might write.

I know you are just knocking around options, that's a good bit of the fun. I love shovelheads and I have probably worked on more of those than any other model. But I am clear eyed about the fact that they are an old design, and the newest is now 35 years old. You really do have to consider that reality when you contemplate buying one, and any experience of your evo XL ownership really does not apply.

I wish you all the best with whatever you decided to do, otherwise I would not be here.

Jim

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by JBinNC View Post
    He mentioned performance. I told him how to do it. Now he's not interested. Yes, higher HP motors wear out faster, but they are more fun.

Jim
    Yep like you I was just answering is question....... Yes sir more HP is a lot of fun but that's why I sold all of my 1100F Honda's...... You don't really need it on today's streets with all the idiots on there phones...........

Get Adobe Flash player

I wish you all the best with whatever you decided to do, otherwise I would not be here.

Jim

Yep you and I both..............

I appreciate you both for your insight. Im going to go over and talk to Pat of Led Sled once they get back from Sturgis. I may just take the money I wouldve spent on the older FX/FXE and just chop the shit out of the 1200

With Led Sled being only about 30 min drive away, it may be an omen?

Jim
    I have a 1965 flh, a 63 on a straight leg hd rigid. In my opinion/experience, neither one of those bike is fun over 65 mph. The Bikes feel like im beating them up and that they are going to vibrate to pieces at anything over 65mph. I also have a stock 78 lowrider that i use as my beater bike. That one is good to about 80 mph.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Whoremonger View Post
    I have a 1965 flh, a 63 on a straight leg hd rigid. In my opinion/experience, neither one of those bike is fun over 65 mph. The Bikes feel like im beating them up and that they are going to vibrate to pieces at anything over 65mph. I also have a stock 78 lowrider that i use as my beater bike. That one is good to about 80 mph.
    Totally agree so I run tall final drive gearing which slashes vibes but my FXSs sure as fuck ain't my FXRs. They were designed in and for a much slower era. Those who want modern cruising speeds should buy a rubbermount. You can have as many as you can manage and most old bikers have several machines.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by farmall View Post
    ... and most old bikers have several machines.
    I plan to run this past the missus, I am sure she will buy into it, lol

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by DoomBuggy View Post
    I plan to run this past the missus, I am sure she will buy into it, lol
    Use your manly arts of persuasion by asking after an hour of skillful oral. Men can play (most of) the same games as women.

Get Adobe Flash player

I dont know that I need all top end. Most of my riding is country roads and around town. Id like to make some cross state trips as some point, so reliability would be nice
    It's FAR from being all top end. Check the xlforum for everything Sportster. No need to go radical. http://xlforum.net/forums/index.php

It's worth it to keep an eye out along with some spare change. I scored an 89" S&S kitted Sporty for 1700 bucks because of where it was stored. Engine was fine (my mentorbro had done base gaskets for the owner) and rat shit comes right off with a pressure washer. It got parked for starter contacts.

Share This