Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kboschphotos
    • Mar 2013

Registering 48 panhead in ca?

Anyone had experience registering old Harley from out of state that doesn’t have a frame vin... I’m afraid aaa will be dumb and say no frame vin go to chp cause they don’t no old Harleys pre 70 I believe have engine only ... I got the New York title and bill of sale etc... does aaa no about older Harley’s when they do vin check thanks ! I was gonna just attach a old speedo to it and print out some documents stating Harley’s vin deal ?
  • golfish
    • Jul 2017

Look for a title registraion company in your area, not AAA. Lots of companies do this and get it done at very good rates.

Comment

• kboschphotos
      • Mar 2013

Cool I’ll try that why is aaa to difficult? And this New York title is weird is so small guessguy said they didn’t give titles for old bikes it’s like a registration card lol

Comment

• Tattooo
        • Sep 2012

Originally posted by kboschphotos
        Cool I’ll try that why is aaa to difficult? And this New York title is weird is so small guessguy said they didn’t give titles for old bikes it’s like a registration card lol
        From what I understand and read from other people through the years....... The problem you have is your in California.........

Comment

• Dragstews
          • Sep 2010

Here's what will happen ...

You will be issued a new "Blue Tag" title ...
          No longer will the bike be a 1948.... It will be considered a new bike with a 2019 Vin number...
          Take my 45 and outrun em all ..

Comment

• Tattooo
            • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Dragstews

No longer will the bike be a 1948.... It will be considered a new bike with a 2019 Vin number...
            Yes sir, That way they can get more taxes and the insurance companies can charge for a new bike......

Comment

• Whoremonger
              • Jan 2014

Originally posted by Dragstews

Dragsters is mistaken on this. If you have the title and numbers on title match engine cases, then you will NOT have a problem with registration and NO BLUE TAG. You will need to truck the bike to a dmv to verify what I just stated. Once that's done you will be issued a new title and Cali plates. Have done this with a couple of bikes and i. The process of doing it with a third. If you are near L A I recommend the Lincoln heights dmv for that . It was SUPER EASY when I last did it, which was about 5 years ago and started the process on the third bike just 1 month ago and all requirements still the same.good luck

Comment

• Whoremonger
                • Jan 2014

Wanted to add, dont take the bike for verification on first visit to dmv. Get paperwork started first then you will need to make an appointment at that dmv for numbers verification.
                Sorry for the mis spelling of your name Dragstews

Comment

• Dragstews
                  • Sep 2010

Ca is a frame state .... Just like Nevada ..

Here's what happen to me when I moved to Las Vegas ..

I took my 55 IH truck down to the DMV for inspection ...
                  The Boys was crawling all over it trying to find numbers on the frame ..
                  I ask them WTF are y'all doing ..??
                  They said they was looking for the VIN numbers ...

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture IH T.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	41.2 KB
ID:	1312411

Now here is where it goes NUTS .. !!!

Told them the VIN numbers was on a plate nailed to the door jam ...
                  That's the number IH put on the truck when it was made back in 1955 and I had it registered as that for over 20 years in Kentucky..
                  Told them they won't be finding numbers on the frame cause I did a Body Swap to a 75 4X4 GMC frame ...

Oh Boy ... Here we go .... !!!

They said that they can't use that VIN on the body and I would need to go to the GMC Dealer for them to check the numbers on the motor that I was running .... Whatever the year the motor was, I would need to meet the smog requirements for that year ...
                  AND I would be issued a new Title which was a "Blue Tad" to be nailed to the Body somewhere ...

....... WTF .......

Ok ..... I have a built 400 CI small block Chevy with headers, Holley 4130 650 CFM that would need to meet smog requirements for 1971 (That's the year of the motor block) .... No way it could meet that ... Unless I installed the EGR and an AIR pump back on the motor as the 71 year model had ...

Now what am I going to do .... ???

This has turned into ONE HUGE hassle ...

Had a friend that ran a garage, he said he had a 283 CI small block that was a running motor, came out of a 1966 Impala that I could use for the Boys to see at the Dealer ....
                  The 66 year didn't have all the smog gear, it would not apply to the requirements being that didn't start till 1968...

OK a weekend of work to swap out the motors, trip to the Dealer for paper work showing the motor indeed was a 1966 283, back to the DMV with paperwork in hand and I was driving a Brand New 2001 IH Truck ....

Another weekend putting my Hot-Rod 406 CI (Bored 0.030) motor back in the truck ....

Now here's the kicker, being I moved to Florida, I got the 1955 VIN back as it was ...
                  Last edited by Dragstews; 08-05-2019, 1:51 PM.
                  Take my 45 and outrun em all ..

Comment

• SamHain
                    • Apr 2024

Bein out of state title it will have to get vin inspection from law enforcement, lately that always means chp. If the frame is correct there is no reason for a blue tag, it will be titled to the engine. If it’s a blatantly aftermarket or modified frame or cases they will want to blue tag it.

If you want to make sure you don’t get a blue tag don’t unload it. I have dealt only with dipshits at chp, you may fare better

Comment

• Whoremonger
                      • Jan 2014

Originally posted by SamHain
                      Bein out of state title it will have to get vin inspection from law enforcement, lately that always means chp. If the frame is correct there is no reason for a blue tag, it will be titled to the engine. If it’s a blatantly aftermarket or modified frame or cases they will want to blue tag it.

If you want to make sure you don’t get a blue tag don’t unload it. I have dealt only with dipshits at chp, you may fare better
                      Dmv in lincoln heights does vin check ONLY when you have title , out of state or otherwise, with cases that have numbers matching title. When i did mine they were well aware of the fact that pre 70's harley did not have vin on frames.

Comment

• Tattooo
                        • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Whoremonger
                        When i did mine they were well aware of the fact that pre 70's harley did not have vin on frames.
                        I hope the same guys are still there today since it's 5 years later........

Comment

• Whoremonger
                          • Jan 2014

Dealt with different people each time. Never had a problem no matter who it was.

Comment

• BuddhahoodVato
                            • Apr 2010

Can be done,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Pay attention GRASSHOPPER, I have titled maybe 25 bikes easy in Cali [san diego] without titles.
                            You load the bike up in your VW, drive down to a mom & pop title/registration kiosk,
                            Tell them your applying for a lost title, need a vin verification, pay the fee,
                            wait for the paperwork from Ma.[Your a idiot if you go to the DMV]
                            Once you have it in hand [paperwork for application for lost title] you make a appointment with the Cal Hyway Patrol Office,
                            Put the scoot back in the VW, drive down to the Office, they will inspect it, they need to see the belly numbers, if they match your probably good to go, if they don't match, skip all the above, and forget you read this diatribe.
                            Oh, HELPS DRAMATICALLY IF THE GUY WHO GAVE UP THE BILL OF SALE IS REACHABLE BY PHONE ON THAT DATE, AND TIME.
                            Attached Files

Comment

• golfish
                              • Jul 2017

Originally posted by kboschphotos
                              Try talking to a few of the title companies before you do anything. They can sometimes do wonders..
                              AAA is good for road side service and everyday DMV services, when it gets complicated they fall way short.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...
                              ;