Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tattooo
    • Sep 2012

Originally posted by JBinNC
    From your pictures it appears that you have a '58 - '62 drum, or a later drum with most of the lip cut off.
    Jim
    You have a good eye looking at it close you can see where it isn't flat......

Comment

• JBinNC
      • Dec 2018

Originally posted by Tattooo
      You have a good eye looking at it close you can see where it isn't flat......
      The problem with this is that the pictures can really be deceiving. I'm mostly guessing, and a different camera angle might show something completely different.

Jim

Comment

• firstripholdmybeer
        • Apr 2018

Originally posted by Tattooo
        I have no idea what your talking about..... LOL
        LOL sorry man, I just reread that and yea..very confusing

Comment

• firstripholdmybeer
          • Apr 2018

From your pictures it appears that you have a '58 - '62 drum, or a later drum with most of the lip cut off. It appears that you have the correct backing plate sleeve, and the '63 - '72 backing plate.

I think you need a different brake drum.

No need to modify any of these original parts, if you have the right set of parts.

Jim
          Hey Jim, thank you.

I remember seeing that the earlier juice drum was 1 7/8" and the later ones were 2 1/8" which this one seems to be the later one based on that measurement. also I'm not seeing a stamp on this drum which apparently the earlier drums had...which all confuses me more lol. the face plate is stamped "322822"

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3328.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	295.8 KB
ID:	1312637

Name:	IMG_6132.jpg
Size:	295.3 KB
ID:	1312638

Name:	IMG_7981.jpg
Size:	296.6 KB
ID:	1312639

Comment

• JBinNC
            • Dec 2018

Could you show a couple of pics of the backing plate? And how wide are the brake shoes? You should use the probe on your calipers to measure the depth of the inside of the drum (or even use a steel rule).

Jim

Comment

• firstripholdmybeer
              • Apr 2018

Could you show a couple of pics of the backing plate? And how wide are the brake shoes? You should use the probe on your calipers to measure the depth of the inside of the drum (or even use a steel rule).

Jim
              Jim, looks like this is a earlier one like you were saying. measures 1 7/8" inside with a 1 1/2" surface where the pads contact the drum. the shoes measure 1 3/4" wide. so looks like I need a newer 2 1/8" drum after all dammit! lol

Name:	IMG_2707.jpg
Size:	300.8 KB
ID:	1312640

Name:	IMG_4759.jpg
Size:	305.7 KB
ID:	1312641

Name:	IMG_0806.jpg
Size:	303.8 KB
ID:	1312642

Comment

• JBinNC
                • Dec 2018

Yeah, looks like you have the good later backing plate with the wider shoes and larger wheel cylinder. Good, you just need the correct drum, and you are set. They do repop those drums. Have a new one turned to be sure.

Jim

Comment

• firstripholdmybeer
                  • Apr 2018

Yeah, looks like you have the good later backing plate with the wider shoes and larger wheel cylinder. Good, you just need the correct drum, and you are set. They do repop those drums. Have a new one turned to be sure.

Jim
                  sounds god, thanks for the help!

Comment

• TriNortchopz
                    • Dec 2017

A bit tricky determining correct drum and brakes; is this info from your thread last December still relevant:
                    Thread: Rear wheel drum question
                    I have a 4 speed trans shovel I'm putting into a 58 Pan frame. I'm wondering what I should be looking for when it comes to a rear drum brake on a 19" wheel. I was told I needed a Juice brake, but I'm not sure of the year brake I'll need or if it matters at all. can use any year Juice brake or doesn't it need to be specific
                    If buildin' old school choppers was easy, anyone could do it... ain't nobody said it's gonna be easy...

Comment

• firstripholdmybeer
                      • Apr 2018

Originally posted by TriNortchopz
                      A bit tricky determining correct drum and brakes; is this info from your thread last December still relevant:
                      Thread: Rear wheel drum question
                      http://www.chopcult.com/forum/showthread.php?t=52607
                      So I ended up with a star hub wheel first and went from there. The midstar hub I got I just sold, after realizing how much of a pain it would be to get parts, spacers, etc. so now I have a 63-66 Juice drum on the way and hoping everything will line up on the axle.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                      Working...
                      ;