Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • OliverClozoff
    • Jan 2019

Push Button Start Ideas

As some have seen in other threads, I had wiring issues on my Evo hard tail. So I pulled most of the wiring and rewired it. I am at the point now where I am looking at putting a push button on her. I am going back and forth between a small button, or just foregoing the small button and just doing a direct push button on the solenoid.

If anyone has a cool mini button idea, post a pic. Looking to do something somewhat hidden, not a panel with switches and such.

Thx.
  • farmall
    • Apr 2013

The pushbutton end cover is reliable backup to a switch/wiring/relay so do that plus whatever else you like. A starter button on the bars is handy because you don't have to remove your hand from the bars so I would figure something out.

Comment

• 10scDust
      • Jan 2018

I agree on what farmall says.

I relocated one from the bars on two different bikes.
      One needed the right hand to reach down to it, the other, the left hand.
      If you stall the engine, right hand gets no throttle when starting (if holding clutch in), left hand needs making sure it's in neutral.

Just depends on what looks, or whatever, you are looking for.
      My next one will be using my left hand, on a left side air scoop I found already set up to do so, but also going jockey shift.
      I want the handlebars as clean as possible, realizing the pitfalls.
      Last edited by 10scDust; 08-01-2019, 5:38 AM.

Comment

• OliverClozoff
        • Jan 2019

My bike is a jockey shift as well. Thinking about doing a mini button on the frame near my left leg, and putting it somewhat on the inside of the frame to make it less obvious. Looking for other ideas as well, because I am not very creative

Comment

• tzienlee
          • Apr 2024

I recently finished a revamp of my buddys BUELL chop and found this starter push from a Spitfire Fighter from WW2 on ebay for not a lot of folding,
          I think it looks great on the top of his battery box , will get a picture of it fitted next I'm at his place………………..
          Attached Files

Comment

• OliverClozoff
            • Jan 2019

Originally posted by tzienlee
            I recently finished a revamp of my buddys BUELL chop and found this starter push from a Spitfire Fighter from WW2 on ebay for not a lot of folding,
            I think it looks great on the top of his battery box , will get a picture of it fitted next I'm at his place………………..
            That is pretty cool. Those are the types of ideas I am looking for. I may just hide the wires for the push button and use the solenoid button until I find something interesting like that at a swap or on flea bay.

Comment

• farmall
              • Apr 2013

If you decide on your button location you could, for example, weld a mount tab to the frame then bolt on a mount for (whatever) switch and change that when you find a switch of your preference. I suggest finding a discreet spot for the little Bosch style starter relay and using a heavy duty socket. They are used by the hundreds of millions in the auto industry so no need to buy overpriced parts from "motorcycle" suppliers. You can also omit the relay and use a heavy duty push button but those tend to have large switch bodies inconvenient to hide.

Comment

• OliverClozoff
                • Jan 2019

Originally posted by farmall
                If you decide on your button location you could, for example, weld a mount tab to the frame then bolt on a mount for (whatever) switch and change that when you find a switch of your preference. I suggest finding a discreet spot for the little Bosch style starter relay and using a heavy duty socket. They are used by the hundreds of millions in the auto industry so no need to buy overpriced parts from "motorcycle" suppliers. You can also omit the relay and use a heavy duty push button but those tend to have large switch bodies inconvenient to hide.
                Thanks for the advice. The bike is all wired with a relay and such by the PO. The mini button that was on the frame shorted out and now I am looking for a new location, or idea. So I am wired and ready to go, but I need inspiration. In the meantime I am thinking about painting my tins. I have no shortage of projects to do

Comment

• Epitaph88vlx
                  • Jan 2019

Click image for larger version

Name:	switch.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	5.0 KB
ID:	1312377 i have just ordered one of these for a foot start.

Comment

• farmall
                    • Apr 2013

Originally posted by Epitaph88vlx
                    [ATTACH=CONFIG]96036[/ATTACH] i have just ordered one of these for a foot start.
                    Cool. Is it momentary contact or push on, push off?

Comment

• Dragstews
                      • Sep 2010

Back in the day a Fella built a super nice Ironhead Sportie Show Bike ....
                      He installed a remote control starter on it ...

Played with the on lookers with it ...
                      What he would do is stand in the crowd then push the button that was in his pocket and the bike would fire up on it's own...
                      He would then walk up to it, get on it and ride off ...

Hell of a show .. !!
                      Take my 45 and outrun em all ..

Comment

• bobberadam
                        • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Dragstews

What he would do is stand in the crowd then push the button that was in his pocket and the bike would fire up on it's own...

Hell of a show .. !!
                        Wasnt that Arlen? I heard people were giving him shit that his bikes would not run or the motors were empty and he did this to prove them wrong?

Comment

• OliverClozoff
                          • Jan 2019

Originally posted by bobberadam
                          Wasnt that Arlen? I heard people were giving him shit that his bikes would not run or the motors were empty and he did this to prove them wrong?
                          I heard, or read, that somewhere too. Always wondered what would happen when you accidentally start it in gear.

Comment

• 10scDust
                            • Jan 2018

Hell of a show .. !!
                            That's cool!
                            But I always park mine in gear.
                            Once upon a time, my 1974 Superglide, parked on a slight incline at a friends place, rolled and fell over.
                            In the process it bent my buckhorns and the bars needed replaced.
                            So ever since then, in gear when I park it, even when fueling up.

That squirly gut feeling, when his ol' lady came to me and said "you know your bike is laying on its side", grrrrr!

Comment

• golfish
                              • Jul 2017

My buddy installed one on his Pro Street about 12-13 years ago. I asked him never to park it next to my bike....
                              He didn't install the neutral safe on it. If it was in gear the bike would, well you know...

Cool idea if done right.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...
                              ;